PDA

View Full Version : what would ya do with this tire?

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 09:23 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Mnuj2gL.jpg?1

does not seem to be bulging out. would you ride it or toss it?

this tire has 200 miles at best, how do I go about getting a replacement? this is ridiculous. I think I am done with veloflex. They have been garbage to me. Ride great but flats, tons of cuts and now this...

AngryScientist
05-21-2018, 09:27 AM
common site with veloflex tires. if it's not bulging i'd consider gluing a small boot to the inside and keep riding it.

Cicli
05-21-2018, 09:28 AM
common site with veloflex tires. if it's not bulging i'd consider gluing a small boot to the inside and keep riding it.

Yep. Glue a piece to a USPS mailing bag (Tyvek) to the inside and run it.

CDollarsign
05-21-2018, 09:37 AM
I have some vittoria corsas with a similar situation. What kind of glue would use use to patch it from the inside?

AngryScientist
05-21-2018, 09:40 AM
I have some vittoria corsas with a similar situation. What kind of glue would use use to patch it from the inside?

rubber cement, or tire vulcanizing fluid - same stuff you use to patch tubes....

Cicli
05-21-2018, 09:41 AM

Barge Cement.

thegunner
05-21-2018, 09:41 AM

the same rubber cement kind that come from patch kits

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 09:51 AM
but at 200 miles???? that is insane that this is happening. Can I get a warranty replacement on this?

thegunner
05-21-2018, 09:52 AM
but at 200 miles???? that is insane that this is happening. Can I get a warranty replacement on this?

good luck with that. schwalbe replaced my tires no problem, i never heard back from veloflex (same issue)

FlashUNC
05-21-2018, 09:59 AM
That would go on trainer duty for me.

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 10:28 AM
good luck with that. schwalbe replaced my tires no problem, i never heard back from veloflex (same issue)

blah, that is lame

velofinds
05-21-2018, 10:37 AM
I've ridden way worse. My experience - take with a grain of salt, please - is that the bulge gets progressively worse instead of failing suddenly and catastrophically. Maybe I'm foolish and have been lucky, who knows.

grognaak
05-21-2018, 10:47 AM
Which gumwall tires are worthy alternatives?

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Which gumwall tires are worthy alternatives?

not sure but I have had good luck with vittoria corsa G+ but some people have had problems. To me, they have been a lot more robust that is for sure.

veloduffer
05-21-2018, 11:27 AM

this tire has 200 miles at best, how do I go about getting a replacement? this is ridiculous. I think I am done with veloflex. They have been garbage to me. Ride great but flats, tons of cuts and now this...

I don’t know if I would ride it. I would take into account if you’re easy on equipment, condition of the roads you ride on, etc.

If you do use it, I would use it on the rear tire. Using it on the front and it goes could be catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 11:30 AM
I don’t know if I would ride it. I would take into account if you’re easy on equipment, condition of the roads you ride on, etc.

If you do use it, I would use it on the rear tire. Using it on the front and it goes could be catastrophic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

its on the rear. I definitely need to use it this week since I am not home where I have some spares. If it was bulging though I would go to a shop and buy a new tire but seems like it can handle a few week rides.

Ken Robb
05-21-2018, 11:59 AM
I can't stand riding on tires that are suspect. I'd boot it to ride as far as necessary to replace it but I wouldn't start a ride with it. Heck, if so many people have had similar failures with these tires why buy any more of them?

I see the defect in the sidewall but it looks like there is a scallop taken from the tread as well.

The only time I had this kind of sidewall failure was when using a Hollywood rack I let a bike wheel get too close to the exhaust pipe of my car and it burned through the tire and tube. We were a long way up Sunrise Highway for a mtn. bike ride so I used a $20 bill as a boot, put in a new tube and away we went. I wasn't very worried about it failing because I was introducing my wife-to-be to mtn. biking and knew we wouldn't be going much faster than 10 mph on single track. It worked fine for the day.

ltwtsculler91
05-21-2018, 12:01 PM
its on the rear. I definitely need to use it this week since I am not home where I have some spares. If it was bulging though I would go to a shop and buy a new tire but seems like it can handle a few week rides.

Keep it on the rear, patch up the inside and outside, then replace once you're back home. Short term it should make it, but long term a new tire's a lot cheaper than an ER visit

mktng
05-21-2018, 12:40 PM
Happened to my compass tire. They had 80 kms on it.

I patched it from the inside. I should have sewed it and then patched...but was lazy.

Its been like this for over a year now. Gravel riding. No issues.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

SoCalSteve
05-21-2018, 12:52 PM
I can't stand riding on tires that are suspect. I'd boot it to ride as far as necessary to replace it but I wouldn't start a ride with it. Heck, if so many people have had similar failures with these tires why buy any more of them?

I see the defect in the sidewall but it looks like there is a scallop taken from the tread as well.

The only time I had this kind of sidewall failure was when using a Hollywood rack I let a bike wheel get too close to the exhaust pipe of my car and it burned through the tire and tube. We were a long way up Sunrise Highway for a mtn. bike ride so I used a $20 bill as a boot, put in a new tube and away we went. I wasn't very worried about it failing because I was introducing my wife-to-be to mtn. biking and knew we wouldn't be going much faster than 10 mph on single track. It worked fine for the day.

I feel the exact same way! After sidewall issues with Michelin tires, I went to the Continental GP line and never had an issue.

If it were me, I’d toss it and try a different company.

Cicli
05-21-2018, 12:57 PM
I feel the exact same way! After sidewall issues with Michelin tires, I went to the Continental GP line and never had an issue.

If it were me, I’d toss it and try a different company.

I dont think that is a tire issue as much as a debris issue. I am not sure I would blame. Veloflex

rodcad
05-21-2018, 12:58 PM
I'd toss it in a heartbeat. I value my teeth and very happily sacrifice ride quality for a tough tire.....Gatorskins, Schwalbe and the like. Plus I hate flats.

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 01:21 PM
I dont think that is a tire issue as much as a debris issue. I am not sure I would blame. Veloflex

they are just too damn fragile. Everytime it rains or rained the day before I get a flat... Now this. They do ride well don't get me wrong but they are made out of butter.

velofinds
05-21-2018, 01:24 PM
I'd toss it in a heartbeat. I value my teeth and very happily sacrifice ride quality for a tough tire.....Gatorskins

Oooof, you lost me at "Gatorskins".

StephenCL
05-21-2018, 01:30 PM
use a dollar bill behind the hole on the inside.. glue it up to the hole...fold the dollar in half and then half again.

Ride it and forget it. I have used this trick to ride over 100 miles in one day over mixed terrain... I had no glue, so I know glue would make it so much better.

Stephen

SoCalSteve
05-21-2018, 01:58 PM
they are just too damn fragile. Everytime it rains or rained the day before I get a flat... Now this. They do ride well don't get me wrong but they are made out of butter.

I think you hit the nail on the head. You have to find a compromise between a supple ride and a tire that is too soft. I’m pretty picky and yeah, I miss the ride of the Michelin’s, but after too many flats and sidewalk issues I changed to Conti’s and never looked back. Do I get flats? Sure. But not even close to the amount I used to get. And never had a sidewall issue in many thousands of miles of riding.

R3awak3n
05-21-2018, 02:00 PM
I have been super lucky with my corsa g+. They really been stellar but a lot of people have had problems on them (similar to this).

I would go conti or even a michelin SC4 but the problem is that this bike will take max 25 in the back and because I have 23mm rims that means a 23mm tire and a lot of tires out there stretch out to more than 25.

Ken Robb
05-21-2018, 02:41 PM
My uneducated opinion: Softer tread compounds stick better, wear faster, ride softer (maybe) but the sticky rubber picks up more debris and keeps it around long enough to make a puncture whereas a harder compound might not have picked the stuff up at all.

rustychisel
05-21-2018, 07:30 PM
My take: don't take the risk over the longer term.

looks like you hit a fair sized rock and that would take a bite out of any sidewall. I've seen Vittoria, Michelin and Conti's with the rubber sidewall gouged out.

Veloflex are sublime tyres, the very best. IMHO the inflation pressure is paramount, or critical, and to use lower pressures is to invite problems. Can I ask what pressure the tyre was operated at and the rider weight?

shinomaster
05-21-2018, 07:36 PM
gaffer tape

GOTHBROOKS
05-21-2018, 07:45 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7185/6894405820_a51c65c17e_c.jpg
neither challenge or qbp didnt want to do anything about this seam split i had on a tire a few years back. less than 250 miles and it happened. kinda bummed me out.

Louis
05-21-2018, 07:51 PM
For the OP: Park tire boot

https://www.parktool.com/product/emergency-tire-boot-tb-2

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/TB-2_003.jpg

Cicli
05-21-2018, 07:53 PM
For the OP: Park tire boot

https://www.parktool.com/product/emergency-tire-boot-tb-2

https://www.parktool.com/assets/img/product/_productDetail/TB-2_003.jpg

Even at 4 bucks, there are plenty of free things to make a boot out of.

Louis
05-21-2018, 07:56 PM
Even at 4 bucks, there are plenty of free things to make a boot out of.

Perhaps, but you can't beat the convenience of these for on-the-bike storage.

And price isn't the most important criterion for making this sort of decision.

bicycletricycle
05-21-2018, 08:26 PM
yep. Glue a piece to a usps mailing bag (tyvek) to the inside and run it.

+1

tiretrax
05-21-2018, 08:46 PM
Make it into a belt. You will get a lot more mileage and smileage from it.

weisan
05-21-2018, 09:11 PM
R3 pal, it matters not what I do or think, what's your tolerance level ?

This is a performance tire meant to be ridden hard and fast. Even with the best of repairs, would you trust it enough to continue to use it to its full potential?

dddd
05-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Not that a rear blow-out can't also put you in a life-threatening situation(!), but it does appear to me that some abrasive trauma may have taken a toll on that sidewall.
Things like loading a bike into a vehicle can have the tires rubbing on all sorts of things that one might not easily imagine, or having the wheels in the moving vehicle getting jostled against who-knows what.
I often see riders let their wheel/tire flop against a curb as they stop for a moment at the side of the road for whatever reason, and that curb can be very sharp like sandpaper on the microscopic scale. I've seen riders blow out a tire after seemingly missing a medium-sized rock that actually grazed the sidewall.
I think that any skin-side tire can have this happen, though brand new ones with that paper-thin layer of rubber are definitely more durable than aged tires or bare(?) cotton.

What sort of pressure do you run in those tires? The riding pressure has a lot to do with how tolerant that any tire will be of either a small repair or of the aging process.

For repairs of small punctures or tears I have many times used a piece of adhesive Velox tape on the inside of the casing, which is specifically designed to be able to prevent the tube from bulging in directions that it is not supposed to go. It is imperative that the inside surface be clean where the tape is applied, as the inside of the tire can resist adhesion pretty well.

Veloo
05-21-2018, 09:30 PM
I put several layers of adhesive rim tape on this puncture and it's been fine. I've been expecting it to blow on our dilapidated streets but fine so far. I think you'll be OK to boot yours.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=220745

charliedid
05-21-2018, 09:31 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7185/6894405820_a51c65c17e_c.jpg
neither challenge or qbp didnt want to do anything about this seam split i had on a tire a few years back. less than 250 miles and it happened. kinda bummed me out.

I had two pair (virtually new) that did the same thing.

Lame

charliedid
05-21-2018, 09:32 PM

I would only ride it after booting it, to get me home.

Louis
05-21-2018, 10:34 PM
'tis but a scratch.

https://youtu.be/zKhEw7nD9C4

b3pkay
05-21-2018, 11:00 PM
Oh! I’ll play too. Schwalbe pro one tubeless with about 600 miles on it.. about a 1/4” slice though the top tread. Been riding with it twice since I noticed and makes me feel uneasy.

https://imgur.com/gallery/eQQFPRs

https://imgur.com/gallery/eQQFPRs

Maybe I'm unable to post photos due to post count?

R3awak3n
05-30-2018, 06:52 AM
so, not on the same spot. Was ridding and was getting crazy wobbling, look the this crappy crappy tire and this

https://i.imgur.com/WqGP6G9.jpg?1

for a tire with 300 miles on it?

not normal. Will not be buying veloflex again that is for sure.

zap
05-30-2018, 07:43 AM

10x more miles than what I got out of mine.

First and only Veloflex.

Conti 4k's may not ride as smooth but have been super reliable on our singles and tandems.

R3awak3n
05-30-2018, 10:19 AM
10x more miles than what I got out of mine.

First and only Veloflex.

Conti 4k's may not ride as smooth but have been super reliable on our singles and tandems.

Unbelievable. I was thinking about messaging veloflex but seems like if they were going to replace tires, since this seems like it happens a lot, they would not be in business.

I looked and another part kf the wall was also crumbling