PDA

View Full Version : Good gravel pedals and tires?

A1A
05-20-2018, 07:59 AM
After 5 years of dithering around I finally bought a used cyclocross bike to do some gravel / dirt road riding. I need some decent pedals and probably some new tires. Been riding and racing on the road since the mid 80's but this stuff is new to me. Been using Speedplay X-2's since around 1998 so am kind of intrigued by the Syzr's but the reviews are all over the map. Sound like they might be ok for gravel grinders, just maybe not for true off road? They seem as polarizing as the rest of the Speedplay lineup. I think I have it narrowed down to either the Syzrs or Look X-Track Carbons but am open to anything.

Bike still has the original Challenge Grifo Pro tires, 32's I believe. Any advice on something more appropriate for gravel road riding or do people use the Grifo's for that? They just look a litle aggresive. Something cost effective is always good, a compromise between price and performance.

Thank you for any advance for any advice!

Bentley
05-20-2018, 08:04 AM
I use Shimano MTB SPD’s on my cross bike, honestly they are kinda bulletproof, plus they are easy to wal in so that is a plus.

I run Clements and Panaracers depending on what the conditions are.

Ray
After 5 years of dithering around I finally bought a used cyclocross bike to do some gravel / dirt road riding. I need some decent pedals and probably some new tires. Been riding and racing on the road since the mid 80's but this stuff is new to me. Been using Speedplay X-2's since around 1998 so am kind of intrigued by the Syzr's but the reviews are all over the map. Sound like they might be ok for gravel grinders, just maybe not for true off road? They seem as polarizing as the rest of the Speedplay lineup. I think I have it narrowed down to either the Syzrs or Look X-Track Carbons but am open to anything.

Bike still has the original Challenge Grifo Pro tires, 32's I believe. Any advice on something more appropriate for gravel road riding or do people use the Grifo's for that? They just look a litle aggresive. Something cost effective is always good, a compromise between price and performance.

Thank you for any advance for any advice!

FlashUNC
05-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Time ATACs.

p nut
05-20-2018, 08:11 AM
+1 on the Shimano SPD’s. I run them for everything.

A1A
05-20-2018, 08:20 AM
I use Shimano MTB SPD’s on my cross bike, honestly they are kinda bulletproof, plus they are easy to wal in so that is a plus.

I run Clements and Panaracers depending on what the conditions are.

Ray

Thanks, any particular model of the Celements? I remember using their road tires back in the 80's, didn't realize they are still around...

belopsky
05-20-2018, 08:20 AM
I am mostly on platform pedals now, but when I'm not it's SPDs

Still having a hard time finding the best shoe that doesn't give me hotspots, though

Ken Robb
05-20-2018, 08:25 AM
I am mostly on platform pedals now, but when I'm not it's SPDs

Still having a hard time finding the best shoe that doesn't give me hotspots, though

You get hotspots riding on platform pedals or just SPDs?

belopsky
05-20-2018, 08:27 AM
SPDs which makes me think its the shoe..

Gummee
05-20-2018, 08:33 AM
SPDs which makes me think its the shoe..

If you're riding older shoes, the sole's probably shot.

...or too narrow...

AFA tires: depends on what your local gravel is like. I'm typically on LAS tubulars 'cause our gravel is pretty smooth. The SSCX has Panaracer Gravel Kings on it rihg tnow. 40c for extra cush

The other wheelset is set up with Bontrager CX0 Team Issue tires set up tubeless.

IME tubulars > tubeless > tubes

M

belopsky
05-20-2018, 08:41 AM
well REI has their sale, maybe ill go out there and try some more on.
I have "WIDE" Bontrager right now

Ken Robb
05-20-2018, 09:01 AM
We all need to remember that shoes get wider as they get longer (bigger size) so if you already have "wide" shoes try going up a size which will give you more width too. It's important to wear a shoe that puts the ball of your foot at the widest spot in the last. When you do this most people will have "excess" room at the toes---but so what? OTOH if you think the correct fit is when your toes barely clear the end of the shoe you won't have the best possible fit. This applies to regular shoes too.

joosttx
05-20-2018, 09:11 AM
I like the Time ATACs. They are light, reliable and simple. For tires I like the Hutchinson overrides. Tires and pedals are personal.

Bentley
05-20-2018, 09:19 AM
Thanks, any particular model of the Celements? I remember using their road tires back in the 80's, didn't realize they are still around...

Panaracer Gravel Kings (narrower, file tread)
Clement Xplor MSO (wider, knobby tread)

Hope this helps

bigbill
05-20-2018, 09:52 AM
I use the XT trail pedals which have a larger platform to spread out the pressure. Shimano makes some nice SPD MTB shoes as well. Tires depend on the conditions and what you can clear. When I was doing gravel events on my Gunnar Crosshairs, I rode Continental Cyclocross Speed in 35mm with tubes. They were great tires and worked well with the bigger rock gravel we have around here. Kind of overkill for smooth dirt or packed gravel but you have to be able to handle the worst. Now I'm on tubeless with Gravel Kings in 38mm on a dedicated gravel bike. I'd steer you towards tubeless if you are going to do a lot of gravel riding because they're simply more reliable and you can run lower pressures.

Cicli
05-20-2018, 10:27 AM
I'd steer you towards tubeless if you are going to do a lot of gravel riding because they're simply more reliable and you can run lower pressures.

Tow is tubeless “simply more reliable”?
I run 32mm gravelkings on tubeless rims and have never, never had a situation where I wanted or needed tubeless.
Now, I helped a friend fix a flat on his tubeless setup out of a road in BFE. It didnt look more reliable to me. In fact the mess of installing a tube with all the sealant and such was a huge pain in the a$$. Every time I start to think about tubeless I run across a situation like that and quickly remember how reliable my tubes are.

p nut
05-20-2018, 12:18 PM
I use the XT trail pedals which have a larger platform to spread out the pressure. Shimano makes some nice SPD MTB shoes as well. Tires depend on the conditions and what you can clear. When I was doing gravel events on my Gunnar Crosshairs, I rode Continental Cyclocross Speed in 35mm with tubes. They were great tires and worked well with the bigger rock gravel we have around here. Kind of overkill for smooth dirt or packed gravel but you have to be able to handle the worst. Now I'm on tubeless with Gravel Kings in 38mm on a dedicated gravel bike. I'd steer you towards tubeless if you are going to do a lot of gravel riding because they're simply more reliable and you can run lower pressures.

Do the sole of your clipless shoes actually make contact with the platform cage of the xt pedals? I thought they were there more for riding around on regular shoes.

dem
05-20-2018, 12:39 PM
Every time I get a puncture and it seals up, I smile. That being said, you should carry bacon strips or dynaplug for larger holes. It will still be faster than wrestling with a tube. The only scenario I carry a tube for would be a massive sidewall slash requiring a tire boot.

Pedals I use Xpedo M-Force8 Ti - a weenie SPD option, they have been solid.

Tires are heavily terrain dependent - lots of great options across the board from ultralight near-slicks (Compass, GravelKing Slick) to nearly full bore MTB tires.

I'm currently using 700x38 Specialized Trigger Pros - they're popular in the gravel racing circuit too.

(source: 6000+ miles of absurdly abusive gravel/dirt riding :)

Hilltopperny
05-20-2018, 01:06 PM
Lots of good choices for tires, but my favorite budget tire for gravel is the panaracer pasela. I rode them for d2r2 a couple of years back. If not on a budget anything from compass and schwalbe g-one all road for tubeless set ups.

I ride speedplay frogs on my gravel/all road bike and my two titanium road bikes. They take a little getting used to, but I like the walk ability they afford me and don’t feel them lacking too much on the road. I do ride by myself almost exclusively and am not very fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pastashop
05-20-2018, 03:52 PM
If you are used to the frictionless float of Speedplay, the Frogs are your best bet, maybe BeBop. But you can keep riding the X pedal — seldom do I put my foot down or walk more on gravel / dirt rides than on road rides. I also rode Time ATAC, and now ride Shimano SPDs.

Tires: Compass are best feeling / fastest riding of that genre (if you’re used to the road tubulars from Clement of old). Then Schwalbe / Panaracer. Buy as fat of a tire as will fit with good clearance (6 mm or more). Beware that fatter tires could make the front end “flop” more, but it’s a rare cross bike that will take > 38 mm tires.

I personally don’t want / need tubeless for the dirt roads around here, and occasionally I break out old fashioned tubulars (Vitt XNs). They really do take the edge off relative to clinchers of the same size.

IMO, YMMV, etc.

choke
05-20-2018, 04:29 PM
Thanks, any particular model of the Celements? I remember using their road tires back in the 80's, didn't realize they are still around...It's not the same company, the name was just revived. However, that license agreement ended last year and now what were Clement tires are Donnelly tires; they're the same, only the name has changed.

monkeybanana86
05-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Every time I get a puncture and it seals up, I smile. That being said, you should carry bacon strips or dynaplug for larger holes. It will still be faster than wrestling with a tube. The only scenario I carry a tube for would be a massive sidewall slash requiring a tire boot.

Pedals I use Xpedo M-Force8 Ti - a weenie SPD option, they have been solid.

Tires are heavily terrain dependent - lots of great options across the board from ultralight near-slicks (Compass, GravelKing Slick) to nearly full bore MTB tires.

I'm currently using 700x38 Specialized Trigger Pros - they're popular in the gravel racing circuit too.

(source: 6000+ miles of absurdly abusive gravel/dirt riding :)

What letter is that crank arm covering...

I like Time ATACs on all my bikes since I commute on them too.

dem
05-20-2018, 05:38 PM
What letter is that crank arm covering...

Ha, that's just my blog.. it's a generic china frame. I put the URL on for a big trip I did last summer: https://dennisrides.com

I had the bike attached to my motorcycle and it kept drawing a crowd, it was faster to point them at the web site!

I had some idea I'd keep updating it for my various gravel adventures, but it never stuck. Heres 3 recent mixed rides I did:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1582856722
https://www.strava.com/activities/1570283266
https://www.strava.com/activities/1552123678

MaraudingWalrus
05-20-2018, 05:45 PM
I am an advocate for the Ritchey Micro WCS pedals. I run them on all my bikes now. I love them.

I also like Clement tires, but as mentioned they're now Donnelly. They licensed the Clement name from Pirelli, decided that with the licensing nearing an end and Pirelli back in the bike tire game, it was better to rebrand. Or so said the Bikerumor and Bicycle Retailer articles at the time of the name change.

Lionel
05-20-2018, 08:27 PM
I am in the Compass and no tubeless camp on gravel. I use XTR pedals, which are OK.

Duende
05-20-2018, 08:41 PM
I guess I’m the odd man out, but i often walk or hike with my gravelbike. If not for that, then I’d throw some speedplay zeros on.

I’m currently riding syzr’s. Not crazy about them to be honest. May go back to time Ataks or xpds at some point though

Also not riding tubeless either. Too messy for me. I’m sure there’s benefits, and I may give them another shot some day.

Hutchinson Override user. I don’t have a car, so all my rides start with a bit of pavement first. Work well on both the road and dirt for me. :)

ceolwulf
05-20-2018, 08:46 PM
I use Time ATACs but I think any mountain bike pedal should be fine. If your gravel roads are fairly mild and you don't get off the bike much you could probably even use road pedals.

There is no best tire. Every environment is so different. Sometimes the best tire is a 28 with a bit of tread. Sometimes you'll be wishing for a fat bike. This is one area you pretty much have to get the local lore and wisdom, or resign yourself to experimenting a bit.

A1A
05-20-2018, 09:00 PM
Thank you everyone, all this information is super helpful. Lots to think about and lots of great advice. I'll take a couple of days to cull through everything and then get a couple of orders going!

bigbill
05-20-2018, 09:39 PM
Tow is tubeless “simply more reliable”?
I run 32mm gravelkings on tubeless rims and have never, never had a situation where I wanted or needed tubeless.
Now, I helped a friend fix a flat on his tubeless setup out of a road in BFE. It didnt look more reliable to me. In fact the mess of installing a tube with all the sealant and such was a huge pain in the a$$. Every time I start to think about tubeless I run across a situation like that and quickly remember how reliable my tubes are.

Then don't get tubeless, I'm sure seeing someone having a problem is reason enough. Tubeless is more reliable on gravel and that is what this thread is about. I've done dozens of gravel races from 60-100 miles and the guys on the side of the road (gravel road) are changing tubes or asking for a tube. For all those events, I've never seen a person installing a tube because their tubeless tire won't seal. I also run 40# in 38mm tires and don't worry about pinch flats. But hey, you saw a guy deal with sealant.

bigbill
05-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Do the sole of your clipless shoes actually make contact with the platform cage of the xt pedals? I thought they were there more for riding around on regular shoes.

Soles are on the pedal. I usually spray a little WD 40 on my soles before longer rides so they don't make noise. I've got the regular XT's on my cross bike and it's a different feel in the same shoes.

Cicli
05-21-2018, 05:21 AM
Then don't get tubeless, I'm sure seeing someone having a problem is reason enough. Tubeless is more reliable on gravel and that is what this thread is about. I've done dozens of gravel races from 60-100 miles and the guys on the side of the road (gravel road) are changing tubes or asking for a tube. For all those events, I've never seen a person installing a tube because their tubeless tire won't seal. I also run 40# in 38mm tires and don't worry about pinch flats. But hey, you saw a guy deal with sealant.

Maybe it has more to do with terrain in the area you ride?
I see you are in Texas, I have ridden quite a bit down there and in Az. you all have alot of plants and such that like to attack bike tires and tubes. We dont have that here. No attack plants or thorns so flats are really a non issue. Also, our gravel is really not that. More like improved “b” roads that are dusty but not full or rocks and such to cause pinch flats.
To each their own I guess.
We dont have much in the area of gravel roads to chose from so my expierence is limited. https://iowagravelroads.com

A1A
05-22-2018, 09:41 AM
Thanks again for all the input! Last question is width. 32's or 38's? Plan to do mostly dirt road gravel riding in upstate NY, no off road or racing. My inclination without really knowing is to go with narrower 32's but I keep reading about guys liking to go wider in case they run into some rought stuff on gravel roads. Thoughts? Thanks again.

ptourkin
05-22-2018, 09:57 AM
Thanks again for all the input! Last question is width. 32's or 38's? Plan to do mostly dirt road gravel riding in upstate NY, no off road or racing. My inclination without really knowing is to go with narrower 32's but I keep reading about guys liking to go wider in case they run into some rought stuff on gravel roads. Thoughts? Thanks again.

I like more volume when I run the lower pressures. I hate feeling the rim. You probably don't have the sand that we have in spots out here, but even when I ride 38s, they are disconcerting at low pressures compared to my 650 47s.

p nut
05-22-2018, 10:08 AM

If you've got 32's already, just ride them and see how it feels. Don't be afraid to get the psi low, especially if you're tubeless.

weisan
05-22-2018, 10:19 AM
Pedals: Shimano SPD M20

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTrJ_AsF-xb_dLLMZcqe4GCldQtuoT_Oo55rqer8Woe9pic_rWO

Tires:

Panaracer Pasela 35mm - economical, get the job done

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/images/paselapt27.jpg

Panaracer GravelKing 35-40mm - more traction, costs more, rolls equally fast on paved and gravel

http://ridinggravel.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/P6060002.jpg

ceolwulf
05-22-2018, 10:37 AM

At a guess I’d go wider rather than narrower, they don’t roll any slower and they’re more comfortable and more versatile. But like I said regional conditions vary so much it’s really hard to recommend at a distance.

A1A
05-22-2018, 10:39 AM
If you've got 32's already, just ride them and see how it feels. Don't be afraid to get the psi low, especially if you're tubeless.

Thanks, used bike that came with Challenge Grifo Pro 32's but the back one is shot (center tread completely smooth) so want to order some new tires today to have for the weekend. I only got it late last week and rained all weekend so only got a short pave test ride in. Just riding it on the paved road they seem pretty wide and that width should be ok for dirt / gravel roads / pave "dirtphalt" type rides but thought I'd ask for some advice before placing an order. Sounds like the wider tires really have the advantage on loose gravel more than anything? Long time roadie, just new to gravel riding on a cross bike... thanks

Hilltopperny
05-22-2018, 10:41 AM

Where in upstate NY? I have plenty of extra fat tires sitting here and I’m right in the middle of the state. I have some wire bead 38 paselas you can have!

CNY rider
05-22-2018, 10:47 AM
I'll throw in a vote for Conti Cyclocross Speed 700X35. My favorite for our conditions.

A1A
05-22-2018, 11:15 AM
Where in upstate NY? I have plenty of extra fat tires sitting here and I’m right in the middle of the state. I have some wire bead 38 paselas you can have!

Thanks for the offer, I live in the Oneonta area. I'll keep it in mind, no idea wher Lasserville is? Thanks

Hilltopperny
05-22-2018, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the offer, I live in the Oneonta area. I'll keep it in mind, no idea wher Lasserville is? Thanks

My brother and sister are out in Oneonta. My brother used to run the Red jug pub for a couple of years. I end up out there every few weeks or so and tend to ride in the Cooperstown area at least once a week. Feel free to get ahold of me and I can drop them off if your interested in trying them out.

A1A
05-22-2018, 11:22 AM
I'll throw in a vote for Conti Cyclocross Speed 700X35. My favorite for our conditions.

Interesting, never thought of Conti's and the 35 would be a nice compromise width. I'll check them out.

I'd been eyeing the Challenge Gravel Grinder 33's as they seem to get good reviews and the Grifos on the bike now seem nice. Just hesitant to jump all the way up to the 38 version. 35's split the difference. I guess I just spent too many decades riding road 19's (in the old days pumped up to 115 pounds, ouch) and now 23's so any cyclocross tire seems balloonish in comparison. thanks!

dmortimer
08-24-2018, 02:44 PM
I use the schwalbe cx comp tires - you can find them for right around $20 a tire and they have held up for me on two different gravel events and plenty of "riding around."

Crank brothers Candy 2 pedals with giro rumble vr and the combo works well for me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk