PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used Garmin

spinarelli
05-18-2018, 12:45 PM
Asking because when a deal is too good I get suspicious.
I found a great deal on a garmin edge 1000. Is there anything I should look out for?
I know the seller has to release the unit from his garmin connect account in order for me to be able to keep updating the maps and firmware.
Should I be concerned about buying a stolen unit, is that a thing, is there any way to check for that?

benb
05-18-2018, 01:27 PM
There's a known problem with the power button on the 1000 failing.

Hasn't hit me but there is a good amount of discussion about it in the Garmin forums.

I think they redesigned the button on the Edge 1030.

madsciencenow
05-18-2018, 01:31 PM
I’d not do this. I’m aware of at least two used garmin purchases that have gone south. This said, garmin will likely fix your broken unit for a price even if you aren’t the original owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stev0
05-18-2018, 01:41 PM
Aside from the concerns already voiced above, I'd ask how long it's been used and how frequently - Garmins tend to reach end of life for me when the battery can't hold a useful charge anymore, and that would be my primary worry about getting a used one.

benb
05-18-2018, 01:44 PM
Also if you care about long rides (150+ miles) I would check into whether they've improved the situation with the 1030.

I've heard numerous complaints about the 1000 having some really bad bugs at longer distances.

The longest I've tracked with mine is 135 miles, it was on fumes in terms of battery and had nav issues, but I've heard somewhere between 150 and 175 even with external battery the software starts to have some *major* issues.

djg21
05-18-2018, 02:13 PM
I upgraded to a 1030 when I got Vector 3 pedals for my new bike. My
Edge worked great and battery life was never an issue for the time I owned it. I sold it for $285 with all the accessories still in the OEM wrap. There is no reason not to purchase a used Edge 1000 so long as you have assurances that it is in decent shape.

spinarelli
05-18-2018, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the wisdom. I rarely go longer then 70 miles. My main use for it was for navigation when I am out on country roads. I was going to get the Wahoo but I read many reviews saying that the turn by turn navigation is delayed or gets confused when doing many turns close together.
I can get this used garmin for a great price or pay a bit more and get a new Elemnt. I think I am leaning to the Elemnt and pair it with my iphone. Together they should give me good navigation while riding out in the country.

shoota
05-18-2018, 03:36 PM
I can get this used garmin for a great price or pay a bit more and get a new Elemnt. I think I am leaning to the Elemnt and pair it with my iphone. Together they should give me good navigation while riding out in the country.

That's what I just did. Got a Bolt.

SoCalSteve
05-18-2018, 03:44 PM
There's a known problem with the power button on the 1000 failing.

Hasn't hit me but there is a good amount of discussion about it in the Garmin forums.

I think they redesigned the button on the Edge 1030.

Yes and yes. I’d stay away from a used 1000. The power button will eventually break. The 1030 is so much nicer in many respects. Bigger, brighter screen. Better software. Better power button. Longer batter life...just to name a few.

kramnnim
05-18-2018, 04:51 PM
I used my 1000 for...hmm, 20,000 miles and around a hundred century rides. Power button has been fine. No noteworthy issues. Battery was lasting ~8 hours with a lot of sensors connected. Got a 1030 now.

bart998
05-18-2018, 05:23 PM
I bought a used 520 here on the forum with no problems. The only issue was that after a couple of days it suddenly downloaded the previous owners rides onto my Strava... and my phone shows it as two separate 520's.

rnhood
05-18-2018, 05:48 PM
I have a little over 30k miles on my 1000, and never any issues with the power button. It has a couple idiosyncrasies with mapping but overall its a great unit. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

SoCalSteve
05-18-2018, 08:13 PM
I have a little over 30k miles on my 1000, and never any issues with the power button. It has a couple idiosyncrasies with mapping but overall its a great unit. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

I wish I could say I had the same success. But after 2.5 years the power button took a crap. Bought a new 1030 and couldn’t be happier! Anyone want a used 1000 that you need a small thin tool to turn on and off?

GOTHBROOKS
05-18-2018, 09:22 PM
i had a used 705 that lasted for almost a decade before finally dying in a rainstorm. it came missing the rubber covers on the bottom for the sd card and the mini usb thing. i didnt ever replace them because i live in california and it never rains, but i think excess moisture getting inside it at those points are what killed it.