PDA

View Full Version : Should new custom bike have internal cables?

samtaylor1
10-19-2006, 12:34 AM
I am going to have another Scott Quiring bike made soon and instead of doing my work I was thinking about my potential bike. Anyways, I love the look of the internal cables, other then maintenance (unless it is a huge issue) are there any draw backs to having the cables routed internally? Are there any advantages outside of the look?

Thanks Sam

P.S.

Sheldon Brown said it would make the bike weigh more- I can't figure out why?

Lanternrouge
10-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Internally routed cables can be a real pain when setting up the bike (especially with a particular Swiss brand) but I can think of no other reason against them. If you like the way they look, you need them on your new bike.

BdaGhisallo
10-19-2006, 04:54 AM
Hell no! Go with split stops on the top tube for the brake and keep the gear cables outside the tubes also. NO point to putting them inside unless you like a lot of hassle.

Too Tall
10-19-2006, 05:12 AM
If the maker uses a stainless full length tube there is no hassle and works great. I dig the look, it can be very sexy. Maintenance is not a problem if you clean your bike once in a blue moon. Just take the wheel out...release the QR...squeeze the brake binders together and yank the housing away from the frame and dab out the dirt...reapply a dab of white lithium and U done son.

Pearl white looks best with this setup ;)

Merlars
10-19-2006, 08:51 AM
Maintenance isn't really a big issue However, although I feel its insignificant, they do add some weight. There is generally a stainless steel or brass tube run inside the frame tubes and the cables are routed through that. The brass or SS tube adds weight, as does using a full length cable housing....

djcwardog
10-19-2006, 09:51 AM
I have also wondered about internal cables. Do the sleeves you all describe take the entire casing through the top tube or just the actual cable? I would think that in theory there might be some cable drag if the entire casing does not go through - and if it does, also some drag based on the extra length of casing that the cable must run through... Negligible in practice?

My bikes are all the typical external solution, but I use the little donuts to keep the bare rear brake cable from slapping my frame.

Anyway, I think the look is great, just not sure about the function.

Reminds me - I love riding my Ottrott as I continue to settle on its adjustments for fit! Have a great weekend!

BoulderGeek
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM
My old Klein had gorgeous (from the outside) internally run cables.

Inside, there was no guide tube. I changed shift cables once in nine years. The prorcess was bad. It was not simple or quick.

I love the look of internal cables. Just make sure that there is a full-length guide inside.

dave thompson
10-19-2006, 10:04 AM
I have also wondered about internal cables. Do the sleeves you all describe take the entire casing through the top tube or just the actual cable? I would think that in theory there might be some cable drag if the entire casing does not go through - and if it does, also some drag based on the extra length of casing that the cable must run through... Negligible in practice?..........<snip>
My Spectrum has the internal rear brake cable routing, it's the first bike I've had that uses this feature. Spectrum uses a piece of Ti tubing inside the top tube and the whole brake cable (outer and inner) is pushed through. I don't know if it achieves much in a practical sense, but properly done I think looks pretty cool.

zap
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes.

I have two bikes with internal routing for derailleurs and rear brake.

One is a carbon mono with electronic rear shifting thats 12 years old. Took me four hours just to cut, install and solder (mil spec) the rear cable for the zap electronic derailleur. They don't teach this stuff at bicycle school.

The other is a Klein that just looks sweet and is well thought out. No liners in this design (non needed) but it does have cable stop/adjuster for both derailleurs.

For me, assembly (other than the electrics) and maintenance is no different than any other design.

I like internal routing because a: it looks quite nice and b: someone gave a xhit about the complete design.

ps TT is right, some light pearly paint would be best.

samtaylor1
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. It seems there is now serious downside. I love it when I can make a decision purely on looks.

Ginger
10-19-2006, 12:18 PM
Sam,
It sounds like it's only a serious downside if there is no guide tube inside the top tube.
And weight wise...does it really matter? Although, you do ride a large frame...so I guess it might be a big hit.

How does Scott say about how he'd go about it?

(and yeah, I have ulterior motives for knowing that)

Mary Ann

Big Dan
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
I like.......... :)

Lifelover
10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
Sam,
It sounds like it's only a serious downside if there is no guide tube inside the top tube.

Even than, when you pull the old out just attach a pull string for the new ones.

cpg
10-20-2006, 12:34 PM
If there's no internal guides (tube) then internals are a really bad idea. All it does is allow the top tube to fill up with moisture and makes changing cables a pain. With that said, internal top tube routing done properly with a stainless or brass tube looks *****in' and it REDUCES maintenance. When the top tube tunnel (jet vent) is sized correctly the cable housing runs the entire length thereby covering the entire cable. Split stops leave the cable exposed to moisture and grit. Split stops actually INCREASE maintenance. Don't get me wrong, split stops work fine but internal top tube routing is one of those little details that allow the builder to create something beyond utility. Split stops just get the job done but without elegance.

Curt

British
10-27-2006, 02:42 PM
That Bill Holland looked nice with internal routing, but does it really add anything to the functionality of a bike? It must add cost to the final bill.