PDA

View Full Version : Wolftooth Roadlink instead of a compact crank?

Veloo
05-17-2018, 03:00 PM
I'm riding a 53/39 Athena 11 speed crank.
Been considering getting a Wolftooth Roadlink and wondering if this would basically replace the need to use a compact crank if I want to do a bit of gravel-ish slightly offroad riding.

Thinking I'd get a cassette with a 36 on it, another chain for this set up and hopefully good to go on some steeper stuff?

CMiller
05-17-2018, 03:17 PM
I think it could be a good idea but 39/36 would be a bit too high for some of the hilly gravel in the Bay Area, so totally depends on your region.

FlashUNC
05-17-2018, 03:26 PM
Why not both? What's wrong with a super low gear for gravel?

kppolich
05-17-2018, 03:35 PM
Chain going to be long enough for a 53X36? Not that you should be in that gear, just a concern.

I'd lean toward a compact crank to keep the cassette spacing tighter.

Mark McM
05-17-2018, 03:47 PM
It may depend on your rear derailleur. The Roadlink will increase the maximum sprocket size that your rear derailleur can handle, but it won't increase it's capacity (ability to wrap up the extra chain length between the small-small and large-large combinations). If you mix an 11-36 cassette with a 53-39 crank, you'll need a rear derailleur with a capacity of 39 teeth - that will be too much for a Campagnolo short cage derailleur, you'll need at least a medium cage derailleur. You'll also likely need a longer chain.

So, you may have to choose between:

A) A Roadlink + a new rear derailleur + a new cassette + a new chain

B) A compact crankset