PDA

View Full Version : OT - La Jolla, CA dining option for 50 people

hokoman
05-17-2018, 06:20 AM
This group is pretty amazing with recommendations, so I thought I would throw this out there. In July, my family is having a small reunion and about 50 of us will be flying in for the weekend. There are 47 of us, and want to know if anyone has any recommendations on a place that could accommodate a group our size without it being super $! We already have a beach dinner planned and reserved one night, looking for options on for the other evening. I know I am missing a lot of details, but that is because my wife was involved with most the planning and haven't paid any attention with my work schedule.

TIA.

false_Aest
05-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Maybe Estancia La Jolla? Maybe that's out of the price range. I went to an event there not too long ago and had a good experience with food/wine.

While in La Jolla check out http://stuartcollection.ucsd.edu/artist/suh.html
It's pretty effin rad in person.

alancw3
05-17-2018, 08:45 AM
contact ken robb one of our forumites. as a long time resident and realtor therei am sure he can offer some great options.

dave thompson
05-17-2018, 08:56 AM
contact ken robb one of our forumites. as a long time resident and realtor therei am sure he can offer some great options.

Yup, Ken knows where all the good food is.

Ken Robb
05-17-2018, 09:48 AM
Where are you staying? I don't want to suggest a place that would be inconvenient. Should we assume that you want a private room?

Jeff N.
05-17-2018, 04:27 PM
I would suggest Eddie V's or Georges or The Marine Room or La Valencia but those are going to be pricey. Maybe Dukes?

hokoman
05-17-2018, 10:30 PM
We are staying at La Jolla Shores Hotel. Sorry for the late response, I had one of those days at work - totally forgot I posted to this morning. I will Google the listed suggestions so far. Thanks again.

Lanternrouge
05-17-2018, 11:30 PM
One suggestion is Cafe Milano on Pearl: http://www.cafemilanolajolla.com/ It's not as fancy as some of the other suggestions, but also not as pricey. By virtue of location, downtown La Jolla is not cheap.

Ken Robb
05-18-2018, 12:04 AM
Barbarella is very near your hotel and they have a private outdoor dining room that can seat up to 100. Good bistro-type food so it won't be too pricey.

Ken Robb
05-18-2018, 09:54 AM
Six of us are going to Barbarella tonight for dinner. I'll see if I can have a look at the private space. I just remembered that this is where Leslie and I went on our first date 16 years ago. :)

Ken Robb
05-18-2018, 11:29 PM
The owner of Barbarella showed us the private dining area. It is off the back of her building and roofed but open on the sides. For a party of 50 she would have 5 large round tables with sofas around the perimeter. She said they are nearly fully booked for the summer months so if it sounds interesting you should call her manager ASAP. We had a great meal there tonight.

hokoman
05-19-2018, 07:55 AM
Thanks Ken, my wife called yesterday and left a message.

ultraman6970
05-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Applebees?

Ken Robb
05-19-2018, 12:13 PM
There would be many more options if we were talking about a group og 10-12 people but FIFTY people are more than most rooms and/or kitchens can handle.
LJ Shores Hotel has a nice private room just off the pool deck and their kitchen turns out some pretty good food. I wonder if you could get one of the private rooms next door at The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club? It is owned by the same trust as your hotel as is The Marine Room. OTOH The Marine Room is one of the most expensive restaurants in town.

Ken Robb
05-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Check with Bella Vista Social Club to see if they could offer a deal you could live with. They are not open for dinner on weekends but they cater/host private parties at various times. The owner of it also has a private dining/catering facility in the 7800 block of Herschel Ave. in downtown La Jolla.

Caroline's Restaurant is not open for dinner but they cater private parties and receptions at their facility.

For a reunion group a wandering/sitting dinner of heavy appetizers might be more fun than a sit-down dinner so people would have an easier time mixing and visiting?