PDA

View Full Version : bike sharing war

wc1934
05-16-2018, 08:49 PM
why cant we all just get along - haha - money

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2018/05/16/bike-share-border-war-has-started-boston/Hdb22XyWEnQAuh4r8zUdSI/story.html

happycampyer
05-16-2018, 08:59 PM
I thought this was going to be about the Weigle.

Mikej
05-17-2018, 08:00 AM
Government subsidies on opening alternative transportation are quite nice.

deechee
05-17-2018, 09:31 AM
haha I thought someone got into a fight over the last bike available in a dock...

that said, I sort of agree, having dockless bikes just littered about is a bit stupid. I understand convenience, but how do they follow up with abuse? The bixis here are seriously beat up. And what would prevent me from hiding a bike inside the garage at work?

paredown
05-17-2018, 09:35 AM
i thought this was going to be about the weigle.
lol:)

mainstreetexile
05-17-2018, 12:06 PM
This is happening in San Diego too, a variety of bike sharing companies popped up overnight and have flooded the urban neighborhoods with bikes.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-dockless-bikes-san-diego-how-do-they-work-20180316-htmlstory.html

We've seen a lot of people riding them, but it seems like a large majority of them might be people that haven't ridden a bike in a while and aren't aware of how to safely ride in city traffic (lots of salmoning and sidewalk riding), so I wish there was some sort of educational program that came along with the introduction of these bike sharing services.

OldCrank
05-17-2018, 01:37 PM
Do I see... drum brakes?

Maybe to make them non-theftworthy?

Getting interesting.

I can't believe the business model includes the city picking up bikes...

Mark McM
05-17-2018, 01:51 PM
Do I see... drum brakes?

Maybe to make them non-theftworthy?

I doubt most people who might steal these bikes know the difference between brakes.

They probably use drum brakes because they are lower maintenance and more robust than either disc or rim brakes. An added benefit is that they have the same all-weather performance as discs (and I suspect they may be cheaper than disc brakes as well).