PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150, Cap and bikes.

djg21
05-16-2018, 08:35 PM
I’m approaching the end of my lease on my Toyota Tacoma DCSB, and I have an option of purchasing a fully loaded Ford F-150 Platinum with a Supercrew Cab and 5 1/2’ bed coming off lease with very low miles. The F-150 has a hard tonneau cover, and is big enough to fit a couple bikes in the cab with the back seats up, but I often travel with my wife and my two Golden Retrievers in the cab, and would need to store multiple bikes, gear and luggage in the bed. I’d likely have to get a cap because I hate having my bikes exposed.

I currently have an ARE MX mid-high cap on the Tacoma, and can lash bikes to the sides of the cap with front wheels removed. My full suspension MTB is more challenging — I suspend it from clothes hangar racks attached to the cap’s ceiling, with the front wheel removed, and have to angle it a bit,

Does anyone have an F-150 with a cap? I’d like to do a cab-high rather than a mid-high if possible. Can I fit bikes upright with seats remaining on, and front wheels off? Does anyone know what the interior height is when the F-150 is equipped with a cab-high cap like a Leer 100xq or an ARE Z series?

On another note, is anyone looking for a relatively loaded Tacoma Baja edition DCSB with an ARE MX cap?

bigbill
05-16-2018, 09:13 PM
I'm following this. I was thinking the same thing with my F150 supercrew. When I travel with a bike, I carry one bike in the back with the seats folded up. I could probably get two road bikes in there but haven't tried. My F150 is a great road trip vehicle. With the 3.5L ecoboost, I'll get right around 20 mpg and have all my gear with me.

joosttx
05-16-2018, 09:25 PM
I’m approaching the end of my lease on my Toyota Tacoma DCSB, and I have an option of purchasing a fully loaded Ford F-150 Platinum with a Supercrew Cab and 5 1/2’ bed coming off lease with very low miles. The F-150 has a hard tonneau cover, and is big enough to fit a couple bikes in the cab with the back seats up, but I often travel with my wife and my two Golden Retrievers in the cab, and would need to store multiple bikes, gear and luggage in the bed. I’d likely have to get a cap because I hate having my bikes exposed.

I currently have an ARE MX mid-high cap on the Tacoma, and can lash bikes to the sides of the cap with front wheels removed. My full suspension MTB is more challenging — I suspend it from clothes hangar racks attached to the cap’s ceiling, with the front wheel removed, and have to angle it a bit,

Does anyone have an F-150 with a cap? I’d like to do a cab-high rather than a mid-high if possible. Can I fit bikes upright with seats remaining on, and front wheels off? Does anyone know what the interior height is when the F-150 is equipped with a cab-high cap like a Leer 100xq or an ARE Z series?

On another note, is anyone looking for a relatively loaded Tacoma Baja edition DCSB with an ARE MX cap?

Does anyone have an F-150 with a cap?
I had a 2011 F150 with a camper shell on it. and a 2013 with a hard tonneau cover. Both were supercrews.

Can I fit bikes upright with seats remaining on, and front wheels off?
As I recall height was not the issue with bikes. The issue was width.

What I did was I bought a trailer hitch bike rack. It was an excellent solution.

djg21
05-16-2018, 09:32 PM
Does anyone have an F-150 with a cap?
I had a 2011 F150 with a camper shell on it. and a 2013 with a hard tonneau cover. Both were supercrews.

Can I fit bikes upright with seats remaining on, and front wheels off?
As I recall height was not the issue with bikes. The issue was width.

What I did was I bought a trailer hitch bike rack. It was an excellent solution.

I don’t want to have my bikes exposed to the elements when I travel, and I prefer to be able to lock them inside my cap. In my Tacoma, bikes cannot be seen easily through the privacy glass of the cap unless you really are looking, and then I use a Master Python Cable lock to lock everything to the truck bed inside the cap.

joosttx
05-16-2018, 09:37 PM
I don’t want to have my bikes exposed to the elements when I travel, and I prefer to be able to lock them inside my cap. In my Tacoma, bikes cannot be seen easily through the privacy glass of the cap unless you really are looking, and then I use a Master Python Cable lock to lock everything to the truck bed inside the cap.

as I recall (emphasis on recall) you can put them in the rear with the front wheels off and seat post down.

kentileguy
05-16-2018, 09:47 PM
I have a 2017 F150 5 1/2' bed with a cap that matches the roofline of the cab. I can fit 3 road bikes easily in the bed with the front wheels off, without dropping the seat.

joosttx
05-16-2018, 09:49 PM
I have a 2017 F150 5 1/2' bed with a cap that matches the roofline of the cab. I can fit 3 road bikes easily in the bed with the front wheels off, without dropping the seat.

I would listen to kentilrguy as my was a recollection.

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2018, 09:53 PM
I would listen to kentilrguy as my was a recollection.

Could not you both be correct? A 51cm frame might fit where a 61cm frame may not, right?

djg21
05-16-2018, 09:54 PM

Could I impose upon you to measure the height of the inside of the cap from the floor of the bed, and to tell me the kind of cap you are using?

joosttx
05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Could not you both be correct? A 51cm frame might fit where a 61cm frame may not, right?

I thought he was asking about putting bikes in the rear seating of a supercab. Putting bikes in the bed with a campershell = to the cab height I would need to remove the front wheel and lower the seatpost. I am pretty positive on that one. Also I am 6’1.

djg21
05-16-2018, 10:06 PM
I thought he was asking about putting bikes in the rear seating of a supercab. Putting bikes in the bed with a campershell = to the cab height I would need to remove the front wheel and lower the seatpost. I am pretty positive on that one. Also I am 6’1.

In 6’3” and ride a 59cm bike. My bike fits in my Taco bed with the Mid-high cap and I don’t have to remove the seat. I’m hoping that because the f-150 bed is deeper, my bike can fit with a cab-high cap. I’d like to confirm this one way or another.

joosttx
05-16-2018, 10:11 PM
In 6’3” and ride a 59cm bike. My bike fits in my Taco bed with the Mid-high cap and I don’t have to remove the seat. I’m hoping that because the f-150 bed is deeper, my bike can fit with a cab-high cap. I’d like to confirm this one way or another.

mine was a 2011. Perhaps that is the issue? I hope.

commonguy001
05-17-2018, 05:42 AM
I had a 2012 supercab with an ARE Z series and there was plenty of room using fork mounts and I never took off a seat. On a pretty regular basis we had 3 bikes in it while traveling including fat bikes and a tandem. You’d probably be fine even with the 5’5 box for any of that minus the tandem. For height there was plenty of room vertically for my 58cm bikes at 6’1 also.

David Tollefson
05-17-2018, 07:05 AM
I have a '12 F-150 with 6-1/2' bed, cab-height cap, and can do the bikes in back with front wheel removed and using fork mounts. I'm 5'10", ride a 54cm road bike, and have about 4" to spare above the non-lowered saddle. I have to tilt them a little bit to get them in initially, but they stand upright once the saddle passes the window opening. I'll have to look at which cap I have, as I bought it used and my wife was the agent making the deals. I can also measure the inside height tonight -- PM me as a reminder.

Mikej
05-17-2018, 07:50 AM
Saddle height is going to be variable -

HenryA
05-17-2018, 12:48 PM
I just measured the simulated inside cap height using a level and tape measure on my F150 (same config. As OPs). I came up with @ 42” as the answer. It kind of depends on whether the top of the cap is the same height as the highest portions of the cab or lower portion nearer the center tail light. And the thickness and construction details of the cap. Short of measuring an installed cap this is as close as I can get. I made no allowance for the rubber seal under the cap which might add a bit of interior height.

My 59 cm bike with front wheel off and front drop outs on floor measures @ 38.5 inches high. I think for my bike the answer is yes it will fit without moving the seat post. As convenient as the back seat is for loading a bike or two, for longer trips I much prefer the bikes in the back, under cover and locked in. I’ve used a slide in board with Bike Tite fork mounts for many years and like that configuration. Its easy to slide the board out part way and load/unload/get to the bike and other luggage without having to climb in after it.

I’ve been waiting for the latest model caps to come out with the rear door/window contoured to match the tail gates on 2016 and later trucks. 2015 and earlier trucks have a straight across tail gate and use a different rear door on the cap. I suspect the interior heights are the same.

I’d love to hear from someone who has a cap installed and can measure the actual height.

GScot
05-17-2018, 01:10 PM
I built a cradle in the bed of my 2000 Dakota that allowed 2 MTBs to securely lay on their side with the bars turned a little bit and stay under the fiberglass tonneau cover. Was going to put it on a tray to slide out but the truck got totaled by an idiot before I got to it. Still room for soft bags of gear around the bikes.

Ralph
05-17-2018, 02:08 PM
I can't speak for the bed to cap distances......but I'm 5' 10", and the bikes I ride (a 54 CAAD 10 and a 55 custom steel).....with front wheels off, bike seats installed to riding height, and forks resting on a bike tight on a 1x6" board......I need 37" of floor to roof height. That's measured with full air pressure in tires, and a straight line from floor to back of seat top.

BTW.....In my daughters 2012 Honda CRV....since the floor is lower than the bumper (or floor is lower than you would think just looking at the vehicle from the outside), I can fit my bikes with only front wheels off....if rolling in rear wheels first...angling in sideways then put upright. Don't have room for my 1X6" board with bike tights though. Have to just put fork ends on some folded over washrags, then tie bikes down to the built in tie down hooks. For those who ride not so tall bikes who want to stick with a smaller ute.

To me....one advantage of using a pick up truck with a cap on bed is......if you have a wreck.....you don't have a couple bikes coming forward to take your head off. There are lots of ways to transport a couple bikes in rear of small tall vehicles, but none offer safety in case of a crash. Those tie down straps just ain't gonna hold those bikes in place. And like original poster said....on a long road trip...going thru all kinds of weather, I hate to use my 1 UP bike rack for nice bikes.....on the outside.

David Tollefson
05-17-2018, 08:58 PM
Mine is a Leer, basically flush with the cab roof. Inside measures 42.5" at the center and 42" at the sides.

djg21
05-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Mine is a Leer, basically flush with the cab roof. Inside measures 42.5" at the center and 42" at the sides.

Thank you. That is perfect. The cap on my Tacoma measures 42” and I can fit my bikes in without removing the seatposts. That will work. Now I just need to sell by Taco.