PDA

View Full Version : Bonk and alcohol.

colker
05-16-2018, 04:06 PM
Yesterday i got home after commuting on my bike. I was feeling cranky. It was a classic case of Bonk. I wasn´t even hungry but i just ate and ate to dissipate the crank. It would not go away; untill i had a couple glasses of wine.
I am not advocating for alcohol... i am very carefull around touting alcohol since i know it´s cause for lot of distress. BUT... in my particular case, it works.
I would like to listen to other´s experiences..

Seramount
05-16-2018, 04:19 PM
never experienced any connection between bonking and booze.

all I know is that the cocktail hour is a time-honored and daily tradition at the casa.

I can get a little cranky if something happens to delay its commencement.

Dude
05-16-2018, 04:20 PM
Yep, I agree. I've had good experiences with beer helping pull me out of a bonk too. Not sure of the science, something something alcohol is a sugar absorbed right through the stomach something something is my best 8th grade science guess.

In the running world it's a whole thing, your area probably has a "Beer Runners" club which ends at a bar. Sure, it's a social thing but there was a study (which means it's true) done saying beer is as good as water for rehydration - http://fishtownbeerrunners.com/about-us/the-beer-study/.

colker
05-16-2018, 04:24 PM
Yep, I agree. I've had good experiences with beer helping pull me out of a bonk too. Not sure of the science, something something alcohol is a sugar absorbed right through the stomach something something is my best 8th grade science guess.

In the running world it's a whole thing, your area probably has a "Beer Runners" club which ends at a bar. Sure, it's a social thing but there was a study (which means it's true) done saying beer is as good as water for rehydration - http://fishtownbeerrunners.com/about-us/the-beer-study/.

I went through food, water and only wine could lift my spirit back into a social working place.

dddd
05-16-2018, 05:40 PM
I would bet money that it has something to do with the alcohol's arrival in the liver, which possibly liberates some carbs as the cells uptake the alc.

Either that, or it's in the brain, but in some ways the liver acts as a sort of central nervous system of the digestive system, albeit by chemical signals through the bloodstream rather than by electrical stimuli along nerves.

I've noticed first hand how a drink after a long bike ride seems to satiate my craving for carbs, probably why a drink is so easy to sell to hungry diners to boost an eatery's profits.

I'm not saying that the alcohol does a person any good in any medical sense.

Bicycle racers in the past carried small ~4oz plastic pocket flasks, some made by TA in France. These were referred to as "bomb bottles", and were known to contain various mixtures of alcohol, sugar, caffeine and/or other drugs, and were popped near the end of a race or stage to prepare the rider for the last miles and sprint efforts.

zzy
05-16-2018, 05:48 PM
post-ride beer = god's own elixir

soulspinner
05-16-2018, 06:35 PM
post-ride beer = god's own elixir

After hydrating................BEER!:beer:

Kontact
05-16-2018, 07:00 PM
One anecdote where you feel better after eating AND wine is not much of a validation that the wine did it.

I really doubt we get useful calories from alcohol. The sugar in wine is more likely to be useful.

gdw
05-16-2018, 07:15 PM
I've always enjoyed a good bonk after a few drinks. A cigarette afterwards is kinda nice too.

Hellgate
05-16-2018, 07:45 PM
I find Bourbon and Rye are most effective. And a bucket of fried chicken.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

ColonelJLloyd
05-16-2018, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I agree that quickly metabolized sugars are likely what works. Apple juice may have been as effective. I'm not a doctor or nutritionist, but it makes sense.

As an aside to the OP, are you Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke or is your avatar just a pic of him?

colker
05-16-2018, 08:11 PM
As an aside to the OP, are you Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke or is your avatar just a pic of him?

Huh? Nope.

carpediemracing
05-16-2018, 08:34 PM
My anecdotal "never repeated but never tried to repeat it" story about beer and such was when I drank about 15 drinks (half beers, half mixed rum and Cokes) one night at a cycling friend's house. I was there with a different friend (not really date so I won't call her my date) for the night drove me home at some ungodly hour (I remember looking up at the stars - convertible - and thinking that although it was incredible if I didn't sit back up I'd get sick everywhere) then drove me back to the friend's house to get my car/bike a few hours later at 8 AM. I went and did the Gimbels ride. Felt incredible. Incredibly tired, yes, but never ran out of gas. Won the first/midway sprint (which, to be fair, favors me; it was a major shock if I didn't do well in that sprint) but, significantly, managed not only to stay with the group to the second sprint but got a very close second in that one. I've only made it to the second sprint maybe 5 or 10 times and never got quite so good a result, ever.

I'm normally not well hydrated but that day I was pouring sweat, just soaked in it, even after 2 hours of riding. It's the only thing I can think of that seems like it might have helped, having that kind of fluid to sweat. But logically it doesn't make sense, I should have been super dehydrated from drinking. Whatever, I haven't repeated such nonsense and probably never will.

oldpotatoe
05-17-2018, 07:29 AM
Yesterday i got home after commuting on my bike. I was feeling cranky. It was a classic case of Bonk. I wasn´t even hungry but i just ate and ate to dissipate the crank. It would not go away; untill i had a couple glasses of wine.
I am not advocating for alcohol... i am very carefull around touting alcohol since i know it´s cause for lot of distress. BUT... in my particular case, it works.
I would like to listen to other´s experiences..

Doubt it..lotsa stress in this day and age and a wee nit of alcohol can take the edge off..not a bad thing. All things in moderation..haven't read all the way down but I'm sure to hear of the evils of 'demon rum' from somebody..kinda like eating meat..sigh..:)

cinco
05-17-2018, 07:56 AM
Could it just be that alcohol is a drug that affects mood. Generally, at least initially, lifting mood as it inhibits anxieties and calms the CNS?

colker
05-17-2018, 08:10 AM
Doubt it..lotsa stress in this day and age and a wee nit of alcohol can take the edge off..not a bad thing. All things in moderation..haven't read all the way down but I'm sure to hear of the evils of 'demon rum' from somebody..kinda like eating meat..sigh..:)

It was physical. I had that cloud in my brain that comes w/ bonking and it would not go away. Once i drank the first glass of wine, it cleared like any good chemical reaction does.

charliedid
05-17-2018, 08:27 AM
It was physical. I had that cloud in my brain that comes w/ bonking and it would not go away. Once i drank the first glass of wine, it cleared like any good chemical reaction does.

Hitting the wall is very different from having a "cloud in your brain"

That sounds like an epic commute!

That said if you were that depleted than anything you consume will aid in your recovery.

colker
05-17-2018, 08:58 AM
That sounds like an epic commute!

I come back at night rush hour and fast non stop is the safe way. So i arrive a bit more tired.

redir
05-17-2018, 09:14 AM
How long is your commute? :eek:

YoKev
05-17-2018, 09:45 AM
At the final aid station during Raspitutsa last month, I happily accepted two pieces of chocolate covered bacon and a shot of Fireball.

Giddyup.

oldpotatoe
05-17-2018, 10:09 AM

Not looking to argue but when I bonk, all I want to do is lie down...not angry or upset, just droopy eyed.

charliedid
05-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Not looking to argue but when I bonk, all I want to do is lie down...not angry or upset, just droopy eyed.

Haha yes, even in a parking lot of a convenient store after a candy and coke. :eek:

colker
05-17-2018, 10:16 AM
How long is your commute? :eek:

One hour.

dddd
05-17-2018, 12:36 PM
The time of day plays a big part of how I feel after riding, even a hilly half-hour commute might leave me feeling tired when I get home.
I rode the ~19 miles from Folsom to Auburn last night in the very last period of daylight, and I was left feeling worn out even though it took less than an hour and a half. Of course I had ridden down earlier, but which took little more than half that time due to altitude loss.
Yeah, the wine tasted good (tasted sweeter) while I was waiting for dinner to get hot.
I also stopped at a bike shop down there and picked up a Chorus carbon seatpost for just $40, looked like a take-off and in perfect condition.

Heisenberg
05-17-2018, 12:38 PM
Funny this popped up, as there's a recent Ben Greenfield podcast on the topic of alcohol/weight gain, and they were discussing drinking in a glycogen-depleted state as one of the best times to do so. I've oft pondered rapid ATP conversion from alcohol intake during ketosis, but I'm not a doctor, or a scientist, or even a podcaster.

It's long, and I'm not a fan of BG's bro-science approach, but it's a good listen at points: https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/podcast/does-alcohol-really-make-you-fat-which-alcohol-is-healthiest-hidden-ingredients-in-alcohol-much-more/

redir
05-17-2018, 12:45 PM
One hour.

I think like others said the sugar that alcohol makes in your body probably woke you up. My commute is about an hour too and I'll eat a banana some time before I leave or when I get home, similar thing I suspect. IF you don't eat right during the day that could do it.