PDA

View Full Version : WTB: 27.2 Dropper!

idrinkwater
05-16-2018, 02:04 PM
Droppers are useful. I want to put one on my hardtail. Got one with a remote and 125mm - 150mm of travel?

tedbarbeau
05-16-2018, 02:16 PM
I've been hemming and hawing about putting one on my rigid single speed* and have been keeping an eye out for used options. After much trawling on eBay and Pinkbike, I've decided the best option would be to scoop up a refurbished Thomson. 27.2, externally routed, 125mm of drop for $299.95. Not cheap, but might be a safer bet than buying used.

They're out of stock at the moment but they seem to be replenished every so often.

https://www.bikethomson.com/product/refurbished-elite-external-dropper-refurbished/

*Sounds crazy but after finally learning how to seamlessly incorporate a dropper into my everyday riding, it drives me nuts to be without one, even on a rigid SS.

pcxmbfj
05-17-2018, 03:13 AM
Running a Reverb dropper on my Turner Sultan convinced me of its utility.

I've been looking for a 27.2 for a while and the Xfusion at ~$200 is the cheapest, viable option I've found.

old fat man
05-17-2018, 09:57 AM
Guessing you need external routing, right? If not, I've been very happy with these: https://goo.gl/6mB8n7

Price is right, and once I replaced the lever with a Wolftooth brand, I have enjoyed it even more.

Finding a 27.2 with 150mm of travel and external routing may be tough.

pcxmbfj
05-18-2018, 07:37 AM
Guessing you need external routing, right? If not, I've been very happy with these: https://goo.gl/6mB8n7

Price is right, and once I replaced the lever with a Wolftooth brand, I have enjoyed it even more.

Finding a 27.2 with 150mm of travel and external routing may be tough.

I was ready to pull the trigger on this then realized it was internally routed. XFusion still the 27.2 option I see.

scharny
05-18-2018, 08:23 AM
If your frame is out of the warranty period or if you think it will outlast the warranty, you can always drill a hole in your seat tube to accommodate a stealth-routed dropper. I know some shop mechanics who have done it and were happy they did. I believe you can also purchase Di2 rubber grommets that will fit in a round hole to keep crud from getting in around the cable.

alterergo
05-18-2018, 08:44 AM
Ok: just noted, you need at least 125mm. PNW dropper has only 80mm.

Check out PNW Rainer dropper with externally routed cable actuation. PNW business model is "direct-to-consumer" so their Rainer dropper was very reasonably priced at $249, while being almost as nice as Thomson. It's only drawback is that it has internally sealed cartridge, so you can't really add air pressure to change the return speed. On the positive side is ease of servicing again, due to the same internally sealed design. Very nice, very reliable. Source: I have one and really like it!

Also, watch out for your frame material. I have seen 853 frame that was drilled for internal dropper and developed a crack within a few month. The same mechanic drilled a few Surlys prior to that without any ill effect.

fffuhq
05-18-2018, 08:52 AM
i bought a ks lev for $250. itll be one of the best mechanical ones next to the thomson.

fffuhq
05-18-2018, 09:00 AM
i bought a ks lev for $250. itll be one of the best mechanical ones next to the thomson.

mjb266
05-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Where did you find the ks for that price? I’m seeing $350.

hellvetica
05-18-2018, 12:29 PM
Stay away from KS.

Terrible post (no air pressure adjustments, slow travel) and horrible customer service.