PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Carbon Frame and Fork

fstrthnu
10-18-2006, 06:52 PM
1. Calfee Dragonfly with Reynold Ouzo Pro

2. Parlee Z1 with Reynolds Ouzo Pro

3. Colnago C50 with Star Carbon Fork

What is your favorite frame considering aesthetics, ride quality, prestige?

IMHO,
Fstrthnu

Fat Robert
10-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't know shiatsu about any of them

I have this sort of cruddy scott that is light and stiff in the right way, but kind of MP in the geo so it doesn't "do it" in some turns. or maybe its user error. carbon is azzmunch anyway.

but

* fstrthnu was fast in the spring on a calfee

* fstrthnu would get much tail like the sinatra on a c-50, if it was pimped out by cg

* the parlee is just too wooly sweater new england i believe tyler. no way.

what you really want is a red steel road bike from chester. sell whatever stupid car you're driving now and get on the wait list.

mikemets
10-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Have yet to see, or hear, about a f&f I'd trade my c50 for yet.

atmo
10-18-2006, 07:15 PM
don't forget pal nic crumpton (http://www.crumptoncycles.com/) atmo

bostondrunk
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
I love this one I saw on weight weenies:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=14254

davids
10-18-2006, 07:32 PM
The only one I've ridden is the Parlee. It didn't do much for me. I'd rather have a Peg or a Sachs.

Sorry.

atmo
10-18-2006, 07:36 PM
I love this one I saw on weight weenies:

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB2/download.php?id=14254
wow those must be zipp wheels atmo

1centaur
10-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Hard to go wrong with those three. While I'd pick a Crumpton over any of them, I'd pick a Parlee in that list because I can get custom geo and paint and wider tubes than the Calfee, and because I could get Colnago geometry with better paint and a longer TT at a lower weight than the C-50.

coylifut
10-18-2006, 07:53 PM
I'd pick one of those Pinarello Paris Carbons, but I've never ridden a carbon bike for more than a couple of blocks so don't listen to me.

Are not the graphics on the Zipp wheels the worst ever. I know I have a set that the spouse bought for out 10 year anniversary.

stevep
10-18-2006, 07:56 PM
i sell time. great bikes if they fit you.
sophisticated carbon manufacture. far better than most.
but custom only available to pro racers...too bad, huh?

justinf
10-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Parlee. I'm a confessed koolaid drinker. Nevertheless, Parlee.

rnhood
10-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Calfee would be my choice - cause I own one and it is a beautifully efficient riding machine. Going on 4 years now and I still look forward to saddling up on every ride.

obtuse
10-18-2006, 08:29 PM
would you rather have:

1. some scca kit car lovingly assembled from parts availble by some guy with a proven track record of building cars that won races a long time ago.

2. some scca kit car lovingly assembled from parts availble by some other guy with no proven track record of building cars that win races...

or

3. some formula one car made by some company called ferrari with a proven track record of building cars that win the most important races in the world.

obtuse

see what a jewel i would be to a marketing department? they're all fine bikes....the colnago has the best fork though.

oracle
10-18-2006, 08:32 PM
calfees remind me too much of the aliens trilogy...

1. Calfee Dragonfly with Reynold Ouzo Pro

2. Parlee Z1 with Reynolds Ouzo Pro

3. Colnago C50 with Star Carbon Fork

What is your favorite frame considering aesthetics, ride quality, prestige?

IMHO,
Fstrthnu

Lanternrouge
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
would you rather have:

1. some scca kit car lovingly assembled from parts availble by some guy with a proven track record of building cars that won races a long time ago.

2. some scca kit car lovingly assembled from parts availble by some other guy with no proven track record of building cars that win races...

or

3. some forumala one car made by some company called ferrari with a proven track record of building cars that win the most important races in the world.

obtuse

With regard to No. 2, Tyler Hamilton had some success on a Parlee and the word I heard around the proverbial camp fire the other day was that Zabel was riding a Parlee this season.

obtuse
10-18-2006, 08:48 PM
With regard to No. 2, Tyler Hamilton had some success on a Parlee and the word I heard around the proverbial camp fire the other day was that Zabel was riding a Parlee this season.

a circus act up the side of a godforsaken rock by convicted drug fiend is best accomplished on a unicycle....

come to revere beach sometime and you can see non-sanctioned races between stoplights every night won by honda civics.....

obtuse

slowgoing
10-18-2006, 08:52 PM
I heard around the proverbial camp fire the other day was that Zabel was riding a Parlee this season.

I heard the same thing.

I have a Z2 and got rid of a skittish tetra pro. None on your list though. Don't buy anything until you at least try Parlee. Smooth! And prestige is a non-issue for me - who cares about prestige if something else rides better?

obtuse
10-18-2006, 08:53 PM

zabel has never even seen a parlee let alone ridden one. parlee likes to "suggest" that orders going to europe are going to proffessional cyclists...short of hamilton's brief stint on parlee, there has never to my knowledge been one raced at an elite level in europe. during zabel's last year at telekom; he did use a spin custom carbon frame for a few early season races before giant got his bikes sorted.

obtuse

Big Dan
10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
This one is cool............. :)

obtuse
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM

yeah...the new parlee extreme power.

obtuse

Jack Brunk
10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
Serotta Meivici, best of the best

Time VXRS Ulteam 95% as good as the Meivici. SteveP is right, terrific design and a top notch made frame.

Colnago Extreme C and E1, incredible frames, their design and geo is top quality. They both may be the best descending frames I've ever ridden.

I did have a hand wrapped Dragonfly that I really liked. It was a little heavy so I sold it but it was an exceptional frame.

Jack

fstrthnu
10-18-2006, 09:01 PM

Yeah and those are the new prototype Zipps with Lightweitght stickers on them.

Fstrthnu

shinomaster
10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
calfees remind me too much of the aliens trilogy...

To me they look like the creation of a goth shop student , who glued a bunch of graphite pencil lead together in his garage with some epoxy.

fstrthnu
10-18-2006, 09:09 PM
To me they look like the creation of a goth shop student , who glued a bunch of graphite pencil lead together in his garage with some epoxy.

Total science project. Thats why I love them. My Tetra Pro has no paint or clearcoat on the frame or it's accompanying Alpaha Q sub 3. IMHO it is the coolest bike in the world, most badass ride on the block imho. I plan on outfitting in in full Tune, ZG brakes, Lightweights... the works. Then I will never ride it.

Fstrthnu

shinomaster
10-18-2006, 09:15 PM
The owner of my LBS made his calfee Tetra Pro so light he was afraid to ride it downhill really fast.. It was about 14lbs with his Lew wheels.

Redturbo
10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
I've ridden all three and have raced on two of them. There is no bad bike in this bunch. :beer:

turbo

Jack Brunk
10-18-2006, 09:53 PM
Shino,

Weight of a bike should not effect how a bike descends. All of my bikes will descend effortlessly at 50 mph or greater like their on rails and they all weigh less than 15 lbs. Balance of the rider and geo play a key role in how the bike handles going downhill fast.

Jack

Lanternrouge
10-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I've ridden all three and have raced on two of them. There is no bad bike in this bunch. :beer:

turbo

Which was your favorite of the bunch though? I don't think anyone will really say anything bad about any of these three although I would say that Colnagos suck if that meant someone would give me a killer enough deal on one so I would try it and be proven wrong. :D

vaxn8r
10-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Total science project. Thats why I love them. My Tetra Pro has no paint or clearcoat on the frame or it's accompanying Alpaha Q sub 3. IMHO it is the coolest bike in the world, most badass ride on the block imho. I plan on outfitting in in full Tune, ZG brakes, Lightweights... the works. Then I will never ride it.

Fstrthnu
Easy bake oven baby.

swoop
10-18-2006, 11:21 PM
i sell time. great bikes if they fit you.
sophisticated carbon manufacture. far better than most.
but custom only available to pro racers...too bad, huh?

*sigh*

Climb01742
10-19-2006, 05:38 AM
the fact that i haven't liked a 'nago sometimes makes me think i'm missing something. my c40 felt harsh. c50 extreme rode "light", meaning very light but stiff, a bit jumpy. and the regular c50 i test rode felt oddly sluggish. i dig the gestalt and history of 'nago but just haven't found a rig that floats my boat.

my favs would be time vxrs 1A and parlee 1B. not a huge difference, but subtle. parlee floats uphill with very little effort, while time does everything else just that little bit better.

at the moment, da bee's knees might be a vxrs ulteam in world champ white: http://www.time-sport.com/us/home.htm

sspielman
10-19-2006, 06:21 AM
My Time VXRS is the best bike that I have ever owned. I really can't imagine anything being better. That being said, I think that the Times are at their best with smaller riders in smaller sizes

davids
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Fstrthnu
I'm thinking of a similar project. Mine will be lighter than yours. Rather than outfitting the thing with Tune, Zero Gravity, etc. I'm just going to put the frame on a shelf for a while. :D

fstrthnu
10-19-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm thinking of a similar project. Mine will be lighter than yours. Rather than outfitting the thing with Tune, Zero Gravity, etc. I'm just going to put the frame on a shelf for a while. :D

You are the King of Lightweight imho.

Fstrthnu

davids
10-19-2006, 10:02 AM
You are the King of Lightweight imho.

Fstrthnu
thank you.

Lghtrthnu

Redturbo
10-19-2006, 10:04 AM
Which was your favorite of the bunch though? I don't think anyone will really say anything bad about any of these three although I would say that Colnagos suck if that meant someone would give me a killer enough deal on one so I would try it and be proven wrong. :D

I don't have a favorite. For me (FM), (kind of like ATMO) crits I kinda prefer the calfee, for climbing the parlee and just all out open road hammering road races the colnago.
We all know these guys can build custom geos, I tend to leave the geo stuff to the pros and let them build their bikes the way they see fit. The only non standard was the Parlee which was through the Hampstens and they know race geos as well. Again FM at this level of bike there are no bad ones just bad customs :crap:.
One more thing to consider, all of my bikes are relatively small 50-52's. What works for me may not work for yous guys. :D

turbo

zap
10-19-2006, 10:23 AM
I'd like to try a Parlee Z1 and well, of course the Look 595 Ultra.

RDP
10-19-2006, 05:11 PM
pictures?

1) Calfee Tetra custom
2) Parlee Z1 custom
3) Lemond carbon (z-team; aka carbonframes)

gone
10-19-2006, 05:18 PM
pictures?

1) Calfee Tetra custom
2) Parlee Z1 custom
3) Lemond carbon (z-team; aka carbonframes)
Look in the custom images.

Frustration
10-20-2006, 09:49 AM
So far, This is top of the pile...

http://www.crumptoncycles.com/portfolio_images/sl_frame_20051217.jpg

But then Fed Ex will have a Parlee ZSL around shortly....

:banana:

RDP
10-20-2006, 11:08 AM
Look in the custom images.
None of Fstrthnu's Calfee(s)...Pls send me a link if I've missed something.