PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record Carbon UT Cranks

pdbrye
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Has anyone tried the new Campy Record Ultra Torque Cranks? I am curious about rider feedback and how they compare to the previous Record Carbon Cranks. I currently have the Record Carbon CT Cranks which seem perfectly great to me but I need a longer crank arm and so I'm considering the new generation.

Thanks.

mcteague
10-18-2006, 05:49 PM
I have the new Chorus CT cranks which are pretty much the same as Record except not hollow in the middle. I have no experience with the previous carbon versions but just came off an FSA Carbon Elite Pro and have had Super Record and old Chorus long ago. The FSA never really impressed me with it's overall quality. The new UT cranks are really nice. The are well designed, well built and go together like a charm. Plus, they seem nearly as smooth as the old Super Record crank and BB and that is saying something. The shifting is much cleaner than the FSA. If you already have to old Campy carbon cranks I would not dump them for the new ones but if you are really in the market for a new set then go for it.

Tim McTeague

Simon Q
10-18-2006, 06:06 PM
I have them and my first impressions are that they are excellent. I have tried them out for flex with out of the saddle efforts uphill and the feel stiffer but that could of course just be in my head - the previous cranks, despite what Shimano heads would tell you, were just fine on that front. The big thing in my view is that, unlike other external systems, they still spin very well. No need for crazy priced ceramics to overcome design flaws with this system. And, on top of all that, they look outrageously sexy on the bike! I have full 07 Record and there is absolutely no question that Campy have absolutely nailed it with their revamp - all the upgrades are awesome. There is some very, very clever technology throughout.

Grant McLean
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
If you already have to old Campy carbon cranks I would not dump them for the new ones but if you are really in the market for a new set then go for it.

Tim McTeague

perfectly said.

g

oracle
10-18-2006, 06:18 PM
it is yet another example of how shimano leads, and campy follows......

:-)

Has anyone tried the new Campy Record Ultra Torque Cranks? I am curious about rider feedback and how they compare to the previous Record Carbon Cranks. I currently have the Record Carbon CT Cranks which seem perfectly great to me but I need a longer crank arm and so I'm considering the new generation.

Thanks.

davyt
10-18-2006, 06:41 PM

Thanks.

Do keep in mind that the new Record compact cranks are only available in 170, 172.5 and 175 mm lengths: the standard Record cranks are the only ones available in the longer (177.5 and 180 mm) sizes.

terrytnt
10-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I've kindof been waiting for someone to start this thread but figured we needed more time for people to experience the new Campy Record UT Crank. That being said, I really want to understand if this particular upgrade (to my older Campy Record alloy crank on an Ottrott ST) is worth the VERY PREMIUM PRICE... Ouch.

Can someone be excruciatingly specific about what you gain up upgrading (in addition to clearly a beautiful component)...

thanks,

tnt

Grant McLean
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM

Also a perfect example of how Campagnolo is happy to join in on a good thing.
Seen any good Shimano aheadsets lately? :)

g

oracle
10-18-2006, 06:55 PM
ja*, ja*... ya have a goood point there...i'm just jokin' around, dontcha know?

<8-)

Also a perfect example of how Campagnolo is happy to join in on a good thing.
Seen any good Shimano aheadsets lately? :)

g

*like or as the german "j"

Simon Q
10-18-2006, 10:33 PM

...and then does it a lot better. You could only be talking about BB/cranks, the only real bragging rights DA has recently had. What are the other examples?

I could go into chapter and verse on the BB but check out the detailed description in the link below, which says it all. Bascially these cranks/BB have all bases covered: a design that is brilliant in its simplicity, light, stiff, same narrow Q (unlike DA's external foray), they still spin well without ourageously expensive and all too easy to damage ceramics and (although always subjective) they look like a work of art.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=BUY_PRODUCT_STANDARD&PRODUCT.ID=3489&CATEGORY.ID=6&MODE=&TFC=TRUE

So you see other than having the external BB, not unique to Shim, thankfully there is very little Shim BB tech Campy has followed.

Let's see, let's see where else has Campy followed?
- 10 speed? No, I think that was Campy, duly followed by Shim.
- differential braking with cutting edge lighweight calipers? Nope.
- use carbon and Ti (ie materials other than all alu) for aesthetcis/lightness/performance? Mmmm, nope.
- Routing cables under the bars vs still having crazy antennae sticking out from hugely oversized STI gear mech's. Nope. SRAM had a choice to make about cable routing - it was a one that I am sure took all of 10 seconds to make. This design has been accepted becuase it has always been that way from the first Shim STI design so we are used to it but if it was introduced today (for example if SRAM was the first) people would freak and it would fly like a lead balloon.
- Wheels? Definitely not. 1525g for a pair for the new 50 mm carbon tubs? Way off the pace of Campy Bora and Zipp 404 which have for some time had weights both well over 200g lighter. Unless they are aiming for a pedestrian market, why would you introduce your top wheels which were apparently years in the making that have a ho-hum weight?

I am not saying that Shimano has not innovated - of course it has, with the original STI and external BB. But simply being the first does not make it the best, especially if from there you do not innovate or look at and build on the innovations and address the shortcomings of your competitors (eg materials, braking and the cable routing...). Bottom line is that 2007 Record is the new standard for innovation. I look forward to 2008 DA to see whether Shim is brave enough to address some shortcomings and adopt good innovations, some of which were made so long ago they have moved from the realm of innovation to common sense. If it does maybe DA can then take the mantle. I hope that it does to keep pushing Campy. However, to all but the most baised Shim fans, innovation wise at least the ball is in now Shim's court.

I love a Sminano vs Campy debte becuase there is no right answer!

vaxn8r
10-18-2006, 11:07 PM
- differential braking with cutting edge lighweight calipers? Nope.
That is pretty cool but the Shimano brakes are just a tad better. Campy's are prettier though.

- Wheels? Definitely not. 1525g for a pair for the new 50 mm carbon tubs? Way off the pace of Campy Bora and Zipp 404 which have for some time had weights both well over 200g lighter. Unless they are aiming for a pedestrian market, why would you introduce your top wheels which were apparently years in the making that have a ho-hum weight?

You mean like Mavic Cosmic Carbones...the ones weighing 1900g that everybody raves about here?

Don't sell their clinchers short either. DA hubs rock and ATMO 7800/7801 are every bit as good as Eurus/Neutrons. Though I love those too.

Just giving you a hard time I like both. I ride both.

oracle
10-18-2006, 11:15 PM
i ride both brands as well, but i use campy on my cross bikes because i don't mind getting it all muddy....

vaxn8r
10-18-2006, 11:21 PM
i ride both brands as well, but i use campy on my cross bikes because i don't mind getting it all muddy....

That's funny. My rainbike used to be donned with Record :)

toaster
10-18-2006, 11:39 PM
I've got the new Ultra-Torque Chorus crankset. Subjectively, it would be impossible to tell what improvement it makes just by riding it but it does feel brand new and I like that!

What I like about it, and the reason I replaced my existing Campy Chorus, is that it really looks like Campy nailed the concept with the Hirst joint and the external bearings. Whatever weakness existed with the old interface of separate crank arm and BB axle is eliminated by the solid construction of an integrated arm and axle.

The old square taper Campy BB was super smooth to spin without the chain on it. The new system spins not as easily but I don't think that affects power one bit. All larger BB axles with larger bearings exhibit that tendency.

It's an amazing piece of technology and it makes Shimano look like a shabby design in comparison.

Simon Q
10-19-2006, 12:52 AM
That is pretty cool but the Shimano brakes are just a tad better. Campy's are prettier though.

You mean like Mavic Cosmic Carbones...the ones weighing 1900g that everybody raves about here?

Don't sell their clinchers short either. DA hubs rock and ATMO 7800/7801 are every bit as good as Eurus/Neutrons. Though I love those too.

Just giving you a hard time I like both. I ride both.

Points well taken!

They are some very nice "things" that you have links for there...I geuss you like those Rynolds wheels?