PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Question. Campy Skewer Maintenance??

huck*this
05-14-2018, 08:44 AM
Hey guys. Kinda embarrassed to ask this but.... what is the proper protocol for cleaning and lubing a Campy (new gen) skewer? Front and rear.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this helps others out to.

chrisroph
05-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Essentially, none. Don't worry about it unless you like to do muddy river crossings deeper than axle depth. Then, ask oldpotato.

Cicli
05-14-2018, 10:05 AM
Take the circlip off the bottom of the lever. Remove the lever and the cap comes off. You can clean it up and grease the cam if needed.

huck*this
05-14-2018, 10:08 AM
These are the skewers specifically. No c clip I believe.

https://static.bike-components.de/cache/p/z1/4/4/Campagnolo-Quick-Release-Skewers-for-Hyperon-Bullet-Ultra-Bora-One-Bora-Ultra-44215-0-1481265444.jpeg

old fat man
05-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Once you figure it out, can I drop my bikes off at your house for maintenance?

AngryScientist
05-14-2018, 10:11 AM
i would call internal cam QR skewers maintenance free.

FlashUNC
05-14-2018, 10:15 AM
Ever had one of these feel like they need maintenance?

myette10
05-14-2018, 10:22 AM
I believe they need to go back to Italy or you'll void the warrantee. Oh and you have to ship the whole bike so they can do all the specs correctly. Google it.

huck*this
05-14-2018, 10:41 AM
I see excessive dirt around the pivot and getting a creak. My head says 1st thing to check and clean are skewers. There definitely is some grub there.

I think after looking at the picture. Do I take off the little Allen screw located on the handle and then the handle splits in 2 for both arms to come off?

Not sure. And they are not the cheapest skewers out there if i FUBAR.

I just see everyone says clean and lube your skewers but know one actually states how to do so. So i felt kind of dumb asking.

ColonelJLloyd
05-14-2018, 10:51 AM
They'll smell better if you flush the cam with WD-40. It may also serve to remove some dust and dirt.

cmg
05-14-2018, 11:03 AM
if you remove the little screw that holds both halves of the arm together you'll probably lose the little screw. Drip some lube around the parts that move and call it a day.

berserk87
05-14-2018, 02:41 PM
They'll smell better if you flush the cam with WD-40. It may also serve to remove some dust and dirt.

I never knew that skewer odor was a thing. Now you have me curious. I'm resisting going to the garage to sniff my skewers.

mt2u77
05-14-2018, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't try to disassemble. If you must, throw the whole thing in an ultrasonic cleaner and spray/work some lube back in after it's dry.

I admit, I've never even contemplated cleaning my skewers.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2018, 03:55 PM
I see excessive dirt around the pivot and getting a creak. My head says 1st thing to check and clean are skewers. There definitely is some grub there.

I think after looking at the picture. Do I take off the little Allen screw located on the handle and then the handle splits in 2 for both arms to come off?

Not sure. And they are not the cheapest skewers out there if i FUBAR.

I just see everyone says clean and lube your skewers but know one actually states how to do so. So i felt kind of dumb asking.

Tooth brush, spray lube, scrub-a-dub..drop of oil on pivot, grease on threads, skewer springs correct direction. Creak? QR flats and also der hanger if replaceable

C40_guy
05-14-2018, 04:14 PM
I admit, I've never even contemplated cleaning my skewers.

...and now you're headed to the bike room to see if they need attention, right? :)

p nut
05-14-2018, 05:52 PM
Sheldon Brown says:

Enclosed (internal) cam:
"The cam is well-shielded against contamination, and can be lubricated by applying a couple of drops of oil every couple of years."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

rwsaunders
05-14-2018, 09:06 PM
Sheldon Brown says:

Enclosed (internal) cam:
"The cam is well-shielded against contamination, and can be lubricated by applying a couple of drops of oil every couple of years."

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html

Odd or even years?