PDA

View Full Version : Thin or no padding gloves. Recommendations?

Matthew
05-13-2018, 08:56 PM
I am realizing I simply prefer gloves with little to no padding. What brands/models should I seek? Not looking to spend a fortune, just not thrilled with my current Pearl Izumi's. Sorry if this has been covered already, did a search and couldn't really find anything. Thanks for your time. Matthew

echelon_john
05-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Cuero all week long and twice on Sundays.

pdmtong
05-14-2018, 12:34 AM
Cuero if you want high zoot...Giro Zero for everyday....

Clean39T
05-14-2018, 01:12 AM
Giro Zero for everyday....

Is my everyday, when I wear gloves..

dave thompson
05-14-2018, 01:14 AM
Giro LX LF. Like a second skin.

tttsmm
05-14-2018, 01:19 AM
I am partial to these :

https://northwave.com/en/p/grip/?v=112458

Cicli
05-14-2018, 04:59 AM
Giro LX LF. Like a second skin.

Agreed. Nice gloves.

Ralph
05-14-2018, 05:47 AM
I've been using a pair of "Bells" bike gloves from Walmart for about 4 years. They are faded, etc.....but don't seem to wear out. Light padding long since gone. Why pay more?

73Bronco
05-14-2018, 05:49 AM
I recently started using Hand up gloves and I've been very impressed.

https://handupgloves.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mcteague
05-14-2018, 06:44 AM
PI Aero Gloves are pretty minimal, no padding at all. I also dislike any padding on the palm but also don't like riding with no gloves as sweat makes for a slippery grip.

https://www.pearlizumi.com/US/en/Shop/Ride/Road/Unisex/Essentials/Gloves/P.R.O._Aero_Glove/p/143418075SP

Tim

Gsinill
05-14-2018, 07:46 AM
Cuero all week long and twice on Sundays.

+1
and you are supporting a fellow forumite.

JAGI410
05-14-2018, 08:14 AM
I have 3 pairs of Handup Gloves, I absolutely love the fit/feel of them. No padding, generous snot wipe patch, fun designs.

jasonification
05-14-2018, 08:20 AM
Specialized pro sl. No padding. I've picked them up for $12 when sales happen

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Lewis Moon
05-14-2018, 08:25 AM
I'm on my third pair of Zeros. Absolutely love them.

Mzilliox
05-14-2018, 08:44 AM
isadore is my favorite glove these days

bigbill
05-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Cuero, the best gloves I've ever owned. JMoore sells them. The palm is a double layer of leather but no padding. If you decide to try them, measure your hand according to the instructions he provides and if you're in between, go with the smaller size because the gloves conform to your hand and they break in.

JMoore recently got a better contract with his supplier and I believe has lowered his price.

jmoore
05-14-2018, 09:37 AM
Cuero, the best gloves I've ever owned. JMoore sells them. The palm is a double layer of leather but no padding. If you decide to try them, measure your hand according to the instructions he provides and if you're in between, go with the smaller size because the gloves conform to your hand and they break in.

JMoore recently got a better contract with his supplier and I believe has lowered his price.

Thanks!

Correct. Permanent price drop to $85.

If you wear xs, small or medium, I still have some blems available for $40 + shipping.

jt2gt
05-14-2018, 11:20 AM
Just picked up a pair of Cuero gloves from Jmoore and can already tell by the leather on these, they will last. I have had leather short fingers from Giro, Assos, Nike, Pearl and Rapha. The leather on the Cueros is much sturdier feeling. Those others have failed with holes/rips in about a season or two especially if you sweat a bunch.

Excited for putting some rides on the Cuero gloves.

JT

bikingshearer
05-14-2018, 12:24 PM
Another very big +1 for Cuero. My hand sweat qualifies as toxic waste, and the Cueros stand up to it. Well worth the price (especially the new lowered price!) because they will last extra long and be surprisingly comfy.

dbnm
05-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Giro Zero CS. Perfect gloves for summers in NM

TimD
05-14-2018, 01:00 PM
Been using these periodically on my road bike and love 'em. Cheap, too.

weaponsgrade
05-14-2018, 01:45 PM
I'd spend the extra money and get the Cuero's. I also have the Giro LX LFs. I switch between them depending on the ride. The Giro's feel great, but they're not lasting as long as the Cuero's. The Giro's are starting to come apart and look worn out, while the Cuero's are just looking worn in.

MagicHour
05-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Cueros are awesome. Curiously, other gloves I have that are more padded can sometimes cause hand numbness, but doesn't happen with the Cueros.

benb
05-14-2018, 02:18 PM
I've pretty much decided I can't stand gel/padding anymore.. it's basically always in the wrong place and causing hotspots/pushing on joints weird.

I have a PI pair and a Bontrager pair. I actually like the Bontrager pair a little better.

For me I kind of feel like I need to try them on so I mostly stick with what I can find locally. Some of these brands I'm in a 2XL or even 3XL for gloves.

Matthew
05-14-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks so much for all the feedback. I am currently using a pair of old Treks I found in a box in my basement. Minimal padding and I love them!! I have a pair of Pearl Izumi gel gloves I am really starting to dislike. Padding actually seems to cause numbness!! And they are stretched out. Will look into these suggestions!! Matt

jmoore
05-14-2018, 03:06 PM
I've pretty much decided I can't stand gel/padding anymore.. it's basically always in the wrong place and causing hotspots/pushing on joints weird.

I have a PI pair and a Bontrager pair. I actually like the Bontrager pair a little better.

For me I kind of feel like I need to try them on so I mostly stick with what I can find locally. Some of these brands I'm in a 2XL or even 3XL for gloves.

Padding in gloves is counter-intuitive. You think you need some, but it's actually better without it. The padding just makes things worse because it's invariably in the incorrect spot.

I've got XXL Cuero's in tan and black. If you bought them and they didn't fit, you can send them back for a refund. Not a problem

choke
05-14-2018, 03:48 PM
My standard recommendation is the Peak kangaroo gloves....I've been using the same pair for 2-3 years and they pretty much look like new. They do have some padding but it's very minimal. However, the website shows that they're currently sold out.

http://www.peakcyclewear.com/peak-vintage-velo-gloves/

MaraudingWalrus
05-15-2018, 03:54 PM
I've liked my Hirzl Grippp gloves. pretty low padding, mostly just leather. QBP used to stock them, but I believe they do not any mroe, so I'm on the hunt for new ones. Their Grippp Light loks interesting, but might have to hit up jmoore for some Cueros.

simplemind
05-15-2018, 05:15 PM
OP, have you looked at or tried the Specialized Grail (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/grail-gloves/p/151240?color=243728-151240)? It does have a pad, but not where you would think. These are quite comfy, and give a minimalist feel.

kingpin75s
05-15-2018, 09:07 PM
A good pair of leather driving gloves.

stackie
05-15-2018, 09:48 PM
I like the giro LTZ. Usually able to find them in sale and buy a few pairs.

Jon

GScot
05-15-2018, 09:48 PM
Cuero. Comfortable and durable. I have been using some for more abrasive and abusive purposes and they are always great.

Expedited
05-16-2018, 12:18 AM
I'd go for the giro ltz. I just saw the Q36.5 gloves on instagram and they look pretty nice too.

flydhest
05-16-2018, 05:45 AM
One more positive comment on Cuero. Mine are awesome. I love Giro LTZ so if you want modern, they should be on the list, but the Cuero look good in almost any situation, form to your hands with use (post sweaty glove pics on Instagram) and are super comfortable.

jmoore
05-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks for all the kind words about the Cuero's everyone. Much appreciated! I'm proud of these gloves and it makes me happy everyone likes them.

Also, if you only have 1 pair, isn't it time to get your backup pair :)

ultraman6970
05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Recommendation? no gloves at all :P

donevwil
05-16-2018, 11:41 AM
Thanks for all the kind words about the Cuero's everyone. ..... Also, if you only have 1 pair, isn't it time to get your backup pair :)

That's the one flaw with these gloves. I bought a second pair as a backup because they are the most comfortable, perfectly hand-formed after break-in gloves these legit XXL mitts have ever tried. After 2-1/2 years pair #1 has only gotten more comfortable with virtually no signs of wear beyond the sweat patina. When the hell am I ever going to need pair #2, when I get in a wreck, when #1 is stolen.

I do need a pair of long fingers, however.

mcteague
05-16-2018, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the kind words about the Cuero's everyone. Much appreciated! I'm proud of these gloves and it makes me happy everyone likes them.

Also, if you only have 1 pair, isn't it time to get your backup pair :)

Does the black dye tend to run on those gloves?

Tim

mainstreetexile
05-16-2018, 07:52 PM
My cheapskate solution has been to go through pairs of these for the last 10+ years:

https://media.bikenashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/product-hi/NB-6-T-BACK.jpg?resize=415px:415px&output-quality=85
https://media.bikenashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/product-hi/NB-6-T-PALM.jpg?resize=415px:415px&output-quality=85

Nashbar Crochet Gloves
https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/nashbar-crochet-gloves-nb-6

$5, throw them out when they get nasty or worn out and by a new pair.

madsciencenow
05-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Airius retro mesh gloves were recommended to me when I asked this question on PL a couple years ago and they are pretty good for the less than $15 via amazon.

The Cuero gloves mentioned here are exactly what I’ve been looking for and I’m likely going to nab a pair.

Finally, the Rapha pro team gloves are my current favs with zero padding and are pretty amazing if you can find your size when Rapha is having a sale. Otherwise, they are way overpriced relative to there utility/durability, imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk