05-13-2018, 10:06 AM
W/o puffs is really hard.

Great last 5 km

paredown
05-13-2018, 10:12 AM
That was some great racing!

Seamus
05-13-2018, 10:21 AM
Fun finish. Feel a bit bad for Pinot after he responded to all the late attacks, but still a good ride.

galgal
05-13-2018, 11:06 AM
Good racing! Carapaz had another fine ride, quite a revelation! And I'll admit to being pleased that team Sky are struggling so far.
Weather forecast for upcoming mountain stages is looking pretty scary!:eek:

MattTuck
05-13-2018, 11:26 AM
I feel a little bad for Froome. I have some serious doubts about him and Team Sky, however, he's at an age where elite grand tour riders, not named Valverde, typically start to fade. On top of that, the Giro is not really his cup of tea... his whole season is based around the Tour, and this is really not his preferred approach to periodization. So, add those two together, (the sub-optimal set up for either the Giro or the Tour, and his age) and you would expect him not to do so well.

Layer on top of that this business with the puffers, and the team Sky questions, and it is going to be really hard to disentangle the causes of his struggle. I was expecting him to fade last year... and he did ok. I further expected him to fade this year.

People will see what they want to see. If they think he is a doper, they'll attribute his performance struggles to lack of drugs/having to ride clean. If they think he is clean, then they'll see it as poor training because of the giro/tour double and his age.

Seamus
05-13-2018, 11:48 AM
People will see what they want to see. If they think he is a doper, they'll attribute his performance struggles to lack of drugs/having to ride clean. If they think he is clean, then they'll see it as poor training because of the giro/tour double and his age.

Also, could be a combination. I'm sure Froome will console himself with the payoff to attend the Giro this year. Curious if that contract has any stipulations if he drops out.

fignon's barber
05-13-2018, 12:23 PM
That last 25 km made for some beautiful tv watching. Finally feels like thee Giro has started.

ultraman6970
05-13-2018, 01:58 PM
No puff-puff... no air... he will get dropped. Since they need to wait for the results of the issues they have, he wont be able to take even aspirins. The other detail is that sooner or later other teams were going to catchup with froome and sky climbing abilities, last year they were really close, this year you have like 4 teams right there with sky. Curiously enough even the pure climbers at sky are having rough times.

Read that they are waiting for froome to attack in the 3rd week, the second week ends with zoncolan saturday and a nasty up and down sunday and the rest of the second week doesnt look like very flat at all. Honestly unless something really amazing happens I do not see Froome neither sky taking a rest the second week, less taking time back in the 3rd one.

At the same time you have to factor aswell that 1 or 2 minutes ahead, in a 32km ITT, wont be enough for anybody trying to distance dumoulin... they need a lot more time than 2 minutes. Which takes me a second week that wont be fun for sky and froome. IMO, at the 1st sign they will put the nail in sky's coffin next week.

The one i'm cheering at is Woods... dude piano piano is sitting in 10th place.

MattTuck
05-13-2018, 04:11 PM
It is also worth noting how good Simon Yates is looking. Maybe the ITT is going to be too much for him to overcome Dumoulin, but his attacks look so effortless.

rnhood
05-13-2018, 04:24 PM
No need to feel sorry for Froome, he will murder the field in the third week.

saab2000
05-13-2018, 04:47 PM
No need to feel sorry for Froome, he will murder the field in the third week.

Not a chance.

I’ll eat my words and bet a whole dollar this won’t happen.

ultraman6970
05-13-2018, 06:30 PM
The interesting thing of this Giro is that just based in the seconds lost by stage plus the ITT at the 3rd week the only rider that only need to wait and do pretty much nothing is TD, because everybody needs to get time back plus make time to TD before the 3rd week. TD as long he is right there with the climbers and only loses seconds he will get minutes back out of maybe all of the top 20 the day of the ITT and that could be enough to win the race again.

Froome and sky cant wait, Yates and chaves know they need minutes out of TD so they can't wait. Aru is fried and need to pull an epic stage or he might be out by next week, Pozzovivo is doing great but needs to put minutes to TD aswell, so pretty much all of the top 15 riders need to shake TD or he will win this thing again, thing looks pretty good for him IMO.

Woods man.. woods...

galgal
05-13-2018, 06:45 PM
Agreed about TD. Stay close in the mountains and lap the field in TT. Yates is looking great also. If Froome and Sky somehow become world beaters over the next two weeks, uhhh, well everything they have done previously raises questions shall we say.

paredown
05-13-2018, 08:22 PM
It is also worth noting how good Simon Yates is looking. Maybe the ITT is going to be too much for him to overcome Dumoulin, but his attacks look so effortless.

That was a great finish--nicely timed to come by Pinot. The mind boggles about where those reserves come from to finish that strong after 5+ hours and those climbs...

Drmojo
05-13-2018, 08:29 PM
Not a chance.

and raise you 5 inhalers
blue Skies are over
inevitable

cadence90
05-13-2018, 08:44 PM
.... ..

ultraman6970
05-13-2018, 10:11 PM
tiz-cycling

cadence90
05-13-2018, 11:45 PM
.... ..

ultraman6970
05-14-2018, 11:01 AM
:beer:

ptourkin
05-14-2018, 11:57 AM
The InCycle highlights on YouTube are pretty good.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2018, 01:44 PM
I wish there was a better recap (US location) than the FloBikes one on Steephill...what complete snooze-fests those are, unfortunately.
https://youtu.be/AjAa0wTWKVk

rePhil
05-14-2018, 03:08 PM
Mitchelton Scott appears to have the attitude that racing can be fun. I have been following them for awhile through their Backstage Pass videos. ( A smart marketing move on their part) My wife and I went to see the All For One film and even she has turned into a fan, and asks everyday how the boys are doing at the Giro.

https://youtu.be/AjAa0wTWKVk

rnhood
05-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Not a chance.

Don't forget to send my buck. I do charge interest, you know. :). I knew Froome would take them to the cleaners. He is the best rider out there right now, at least when there are hills involved. At least Yates and company got a couple moments of glory, even if short lived.