PDA

View Full Version : Glasses interfere with helmet

Cicli
05-12-2018, 06:37 PM
So,
I have decided to wear a helmet for the first time in 30 years of riding. My issue, my sunglasses arm ends hit the helmet and push forward. Drives me nuts. I am not hacking my glasses but have no issue hitting the helmet with a file right where they hit. I know better than to modify a helmet but figure I have never had anything more than a cap to protect my melon anyway. What to do?
I dont want to modify a helmet but cant stand the glasses hitting. What do you all do?

Ken Robb
05-12-2018, 06:51 PM
I have always worn glasses and never had this happen. Is your helmet angled back more than necessary?

Cicli
05-12-2018, 07:03 PM
I have always worn glasses and never had this happen. Is your helmet angled back more than necessary?

I dont think so. Seems normal to me. I think I look like a dumbass in it and make sure it fits properly. Not backwards or anything.

enr1co
05-12-2018, 07:11 PM

Can see how this can happen with helmet designs as POC or similar with extended back shells.

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/POC-Ventral-feature2.jpg

Bentley
05-12-2018, 07:13 PM
I'd rather look like a dumbass than Jack up the coconut. Run by your LBS, they can probably square you up.

Keep the coconut in good condition.

😀😀

I dont think so. Seems normal to me. I think I look like a dumbass in it and make sure it fits properly. Not backwards or anything.

Cicli
05-12-2018, 07:14 PM
Can see how this can happen with helmet designs as POC or similar with extended back shells.

[/IMG]

It is a POC helmet. Maybe thats the issue.

TDot
05-12-2018, 07:29 PM
I've had issues with POC helmets and non-POC shades, but not the full POC compliment (never thought I would write a sentence like that ...)

I've used Smith shades with a POC helmet and had issues but now with Smith for both helmet and shades and I'm good.

charliedid
05-12-2018, 07:33 PM
It is a POC helmet. Maybe thats the issue.

Yep. POC glasses have shorter temples.

djg21
05-12-2018, 07:34 PM
So,
I have decided to wear a helmet for the first time in 30 years of riding. My issue, my sunglasses arm ends hit the helmet and push forward. Drives me nuts. I am not hacking my glasses but have no issue hitting the helmet with a file right where they hit. I know better than to modify a helmet but figure I have never had anything more than a cap to protect my melon anyway. What to do?
I dont want to modify a helmet but cant stand the glasses hitting. What do you all do?

I have this issue with my Giro TT helmet. I carved out a little of the polystyrene to let my glasses temples fit a little better. I cannot use the snap on lens that came with the helmet, and the fit with glasses is still less than perfect. But I deal for the short 10 mile TTS I routinely do.

I use Rudy Project RX cycling glasses which aren’t a problem with my Giro road helmet.

rePhil
05-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Eyeglass interference is a known issue with Kask Mojito's.

charliedid
05-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Eyeglass interference is a known issue with Kask Mojito's.

True but if you ride the adjustment strap up high it moves out of the way. That said it feels a bit less secure.

Protone better in this regard.

charliedid
05-12-2018, 08:03 PM
Cicli, can you adjust the adjustment harness up and down on that helmet? Higher or lower on the crown of your head. Been a while since I have seen one.

Ken Robb
05-13-2018, 12:48 AM
To be fair: I never used glasses with straight temples. Mine always bend down and in at the back of my ears.

Peter P.
05-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Since it's your first helmet-is it sized and fitted properly? It's possible it's sitting too low on your head. Some helmets have additional adhesive pads to customize the fit. Strategically placing these pads can raise the helmet and possibly eliminate the interference.

fignon's barber
05-13-2018, 06:38 AM
I've got a POC Octal. I have this issue with one pair of sunglasses, Salice 006. The only way to make the glasses sit right is to put them UNDER the helmet straps. All other glasses, even Salice 012, work fine.

ultraman6970
05-13-2018, 06:45 AM
op, Depends a lot of the brand and model of the helmet. Had a kask that gave me troubles with glasses, swapped later to met and no problems at all.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2018, 06:57 AM
So,

I had the very same issue with a helmet, Kask..took a grinder right there but didn't really help..changed helmets..Mavic Syncros and Catlike Whisperer...Helemt makers are hell bent on making the back further down, behind your ears..which makes this issue a bigger one.