PDA

View Full Version : Modern saddle most like shape of Rolls?

Climb01742
05-12-2018, 02:00 PM
Is there a modern saddle with the same basic shape of a San Marco Rolls?

Would a Cambium C15 be similar? Or something else?

Clean39T
05-13-2018, 01:26 AM

Would a Cambium C15 be similar? Or something else?

Maybe the Fizik Volta? It's very round. Check AmazonWarehouse.

cadence90
05-13-2018, 01:59 AM
Why not just go with a new Rolls, if that's what you have liked?

Maybe the Fizik Volta? It's very round. Check AmazonWarehouse.
Yes, the Volta is very round in section ("volta" means "vault, arch" in Italian) but flat fore-aft, so no hammock effect; it apparently allows for a lot of movement.

I have always found them beautiful, and have been intrigued, but I have never found one to try out (I love Ariones, so I'm not sure the Volta would even fit me). Apparently they are a real love/hate saddle, very particular, a bit peculiar to many.

https://static.escdn.nl/images/resized/147033:402:281:contain.jpg

http://red.ap.teacup.com/bikebind/timg/middle_1382288257.jpg

EDIT:
Pretty good write-up by Merlin Cycles regarding the various Fizik saddle shapes (https://www.merlincycles.com/blog/fizik-road-saddle-shapes-explained/). Scroll to the bottom for the Volta. In their opinion, just as Clean 39T stated above, Fizik Volta = SSM Rolls/Brooks B17, but much more narrow than either.

lhuerta
05-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Bontrager Serano in 148mm

Climb01742
05-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!

I tried a Volta. For my posterior, there was a more pronounced ridge than with a Rolls. The shape of a Rolls is kinda sneaky. The front half is like a Volta, but the back half is surprisingly flat-ish and supportive. At least that's how it feels to me.

My biggest challenge with using a Rolls on some bikes is how short the rails are and how far back on the saddle the effective clamping area is. Plus, with the deep wings on a Rolls (which help give it a unique ride) I can't use side clamp seatposts (like a Ritchey one-bolt) because the wing covers up the bolt!

I'm left with a choice: Go with more Rolls and get seatposts with more setback and bolts you tighten from below--or use my current seatposts with a saddle that mimics a Rolls.

I'll look into the Serano.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2018, 08:28 AM
Thank you for the suggestions!

I tried a Volta. For my posterior, there was a more pronounced ridge than with a Rolls. The shape of a Rolls is kinda sneaky. The front half is like a Volta, but the back half is surprisingly flat-ish and supportive. At least that's how it feels to me.

My biggest challenge with using a Rolls on some bikes is how short the rails are and how far back on the saddle the effective clamping area is. Plus, with the deep wings on a Rolls (which help give it a unique ride) I can't use side clamp seatposts (like a Ritchey one-bolt) because the wing covers up the bolt!

I'm left with a choice: Go with more Rolls and get seatposts with more setback and bolts you tighten from below--or use my current seatposts with a saddle that mimics a Rolls.

I'll look into the Serano.

It's where you touch the bike. The SP is just a way to hold the 'proper' saddle for you..get the Rolls(get 2) and appropriate SPs.

parris
05-13-2018, 09:11 AM
The closest saddle for me compared to the Rolls is the Prologo Scratch Pro in 143 mm.

Climb01742
05-13-2018, 09:40 AM
The closest saddle for me compared to the Rolls is the Prologo Scratch Pro in 143 mm.

Interesting. I was looking at Scratches yesterday. Thanks for confirmation!

Clean39T
05-13-2018, 10:41 AM
I have a white Bontrager Serano Ti you can have cheap. I think it’s more like a Regal, but it may work.

Or I also have a NOS Rolls w gold rails and the buffalo leather - it’s in the classifieds.

I’ll send ya both for $90 shipped.

oliver1850
05-13-2018, 03:40 PM
You might look at Velo. They did a direct copy of the Regal (some are labeled EndZone) that I have several of and like. Some models have real leather covers. Perhaps they copied the Rolls as well.

I might have a very slightly used 20 year old Rolls on hand. I tried it but didn't like it at all.

cadence90
05-14-2018, 01:58 AM

I'm left with a choice: Go with more Rolls and get seatposts with more setback and bolts you tighten from below--or use my current seatposts with a saddle that mimics a Rolls.It's where you touch the bike. The SP is just a way to hold the 'proper' saddle for you..get the Rolls(get 2) and appropriate SPs.

That makes sense, regarding the Rolls limitations.

That said, I agree with oldpatata, if you can find more Rolls-friendly seatposts.

What seatpost criteria do you have, besides top-bottom adjustment?
Diameter?
Setback?
Length?
Alloy, carbon-fiber, titanium?
Color?
Etc?

Climb01742
05-14-2018, 08:13 AM
I have a white Bontrager Serano Ti you can have cheap. I think it’s more like a Regal, but it may work.

Or I also have a NOS Rolls w gold rails and the buffalo leather - it’s in the classifieds.

I’ll send ya both for $90 shipped.

Do you know the width of the Serano? Thx!

Climb01742
05-14-2018, 08:20 AM
That makes sense, regarding the Rolls limitations.

That said, I agree with oldpatata, if you can find more Rolls-friendly seatposts.

What seatpost criteria do you have, besides top-bottom adjustment?
Diameter?
Setback?
Length?
Alloy, carbon-fiber, titanium?
Color?
Etc?

I need to ride the Rolls more. I pulled it out of my box o' past saddles and gave it another shot. Seems promising but need more miles to know.

The setback needed to run a Rolls would vary by bike, but a 25mm setback would cover most bases. Don't have a preference, alu or carbon is cool. Thing is, 25mm setback posts aren't that common. FSA makes a carbon one but a bit pricey.

Looking at my box of failed saddles, one thing struck me: is there a bike part most of us have lost more money on that saddles? (palm against forehead);)

parris
05-14-2018, 08:58 AM
^ I don't think so! When I got back into riding several years ago I started to look for the "perfect" saddle. I probably have close to a dozen different models/widths that for one reason or another didn't work out. That caused me to measure the 2 saddles that seemed to still work for me which were the Rolls and to a lesser extent Turbo. That in turn lead me to the Scratch series of saddle.

Climb01742
05-14-2018, 09:06 AM
^ I don't think so! When I got back into riding several years ago I started to look for the "perfect" saddle. I probably have close to a dozen different models/widths that for one reason or another didn't work out. That caused me to measure the 2 saddles that seemed to still work for me which were the Rolls and to a lesser extent Turbo. That in turn lead me to the Scratch series of saddle.

The Scratch Pro you suggested earlier in the thread is an older model (which is still available but no longer made). Do any of the current Scratch 2 models work for you? Thx!

parris
05-14-2018, 09:17 AM
I didn't know it was discontinued sorry for that! I haven't tried the new model.

Here's what works for me with that saddle just a a benchmark and if the new one's similar/same shaped it may hold for that as well.

What I like about the Rolls is that it's fairly flat front to back with what I would consider a moderate amount of "crown" from side to side. I also like that the nose is a little longer which for me works because I tend to move on the saddle a bit. The Scratch Pro in 143 is close in these dimensions.

The Turbo is a little shorter in the nose and more of a hammock shape similar to the Fizik Aliante (sp) which for me didn't work quite as well due to being more locked into one position for the sweet spot.

I also have the Scratch Nack I believe it is with the carbon rails in 136? mm and that's just too narrow for this kid. Hope this helps.

Climb01742
05-14-2018, 09:39 AM
We’re very much alike. I move around too. And I like a pretty flat shape front to back. The 140 Rolls width is good for me too. What seems to make the Rolls special is the back has enough flatish space for sit bones but some crown too so no edges dig in.

The Bontrager Serano looks like it might have some of those traits. What’s a bummer is Prologo has changed the Scratch shape. It’s now flatter across the back than it once was. Darn saddle companies, always changing stuff!:rolleyes:

cadence90
05-14-2018, 04:10 PM
The setback needed to run a Rolls would vary by bike, but a 25mm setback would cover most bases. Don't have a preference, alu or carbon is cool. Thing is, 25mm setback posts aren't that common. FSA makes a carbon one but a bit pricey.
A PMP Seatpost SB.27 could be perfect. 27mm setback and available in ti or carbon. Beautiful stuff, with superb craftsmanship and great adjustability.

http://www.eraprobikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SEATPOST-SB27-TITANIUM-BLACK-600x600.jpg
http://www.eraprobikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/SEATPOST-SB27-CARBON-BLACK-600x600.jpg

I think a setback of ~25mm is possible on a Syntace P6 (7075 Alu or carbon), which is another excellent seatpost.

https://www.syntace.com/imgserver/syntace/images/5000/5200/5254/picture5254_Syntace.jpg

I have never used the FSA K-Force, but they also seem to be good.

Climb01742
05-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Those are sweet! I’d completely forgotten that PMP made posts. Thx!

cadence90
05-14-2018, 04:51 PM
Those are sweet! I’d completely forgotten that PMP made posts. Thx!

I use a SB.27 ti and will vouch for it 100%. It's great, rock-solid.

They will even anodize the alu bits on request, in silver, black, blue, red, and gold I think.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/dd1e7856-2991-4a9d-8997-8079df800fc3_zpscmd5vetk.jpg

sevencyclist
05-15-2018, 12:13 PM
You can consider Berthoud Aravis which has flat top with rounded edges and similar in width to the rolls.

However many might not consider Berthoud modern.