PDA

View Full Version : 1.5 steel forks?

quickfeet
05-12-2018, 08:09 AM
Anyone make a lugged 1.5 steel cantilever fork? I want to swap back one forth for a front rack.

tuscanyswe
05-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Or you can find a 11/8 or even 1" and use some kind of "devolution" headset. That is likely a better or simpler solution. Seem expensive perhaps since new headset or parts thereof also but then you can find used forks much cheaper than 1.5s if those are at all available ? so perhaps cheaper in total too

Depending on your frame and current hs etc
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/se/en/chris-king-1-5-devolution-reducer-headset/rp-prod25142

hollowgram5
05-12-2018, 08:18 AM
Look up EricEstlund's stuff on here. He operates Winter, and has done many different adaptations of tapered steerer forks including integrating a MAX lugged crown into one.

Check his highlights here on the forum, or search Flickr. He's always super helpful and knowledgeable. I'll try to update with a few links shortly.

But I don't believe anyone makes a tapered steerer lugged fork as a 'factory' option.

Edit:
Bjorn's suggestion is a great one. I am currently running 1-1/8th fork in a 44mm headtube with a cane Creek headset and adapter crown race on my TwinSix..

d_douglas
05-12-2018, 09:36 AM
Yes, the devolution is the way to go. I used a Wound Up on my 44mm Desalvo before I decided to switch to through axle.

I have a Chris King Devolution crown race sitting in my parts bin if you need it!

cadence90
05-12-2018, 02:07 PM
Indeed.

Even if Christopher Igleheart, Eric Estlund, Steve Potts, et al were to make a custom 1.5" fork for you, I'm sure that the cost would be very high.

tuscanyswe's advice is perfect, sensible, and far more economical.