PDA

View Full Version : Ibis Hakka MX - Headset Options

Lovetoclimb
05-11-2018, 09:10 PM
So I put down my name for an XL Hakka frame at my LBS. Not yet sure how I will build it, and still figuring out the fit, wheel set(s) I would run, etc.

Looking at the Ibis site for the bike, and with not real knowledge of headsets beyond the external cup style, what are my options with the following specs?:

Tapered Headtube: IS 41/28.6 upper, IS 52/40 lower

I did inquire with the shop if they could do a matching CK HS and BB in that new Matte Slate, and he said HS is not possible. Im taking that to mean CK doesn’t do a HS in this spec and color combination???

Should I just look at Cane Creek and be done with it?

joosttx
05-11-2018, 09:25 PM
So I put down my name for an XL Hakka frame at my LBS. Not yet sure how I will build it, and still figuring out the fit, wheel set(s) I would run, etc.

Looking at the Ibis site for the bike, and with not real knowledge of headsets beyond the external cup style, what are my options with the following specs?:

Tapered Headtube: IS 41/28.6 upper, IS 52/40 lower

I did inquire with the shop if they could do a matching CK HS and BB in that new Matte Slate, and he said HS is not possible. Im taking that to mean CK doesn’t do a HS in this spec and color combination???

Should I just look at Cane Creek and be done with it?

CK doesnt do a HS in that spec.

cadence90
05-11-2018, 09:51 PM
As joosttx wrote, CK doesn't make a headset in IS 41/28.6 upper, IS 52/40 lower.

Afaik the most available options are (but double-check with the lbs):
Cane Creek 40: Black
Cane Creek 110: Black
White Industries Integrated: Black or Silver

ColonelJLloyd
05-11-2018, 10:48 PM
Bummer you can't get the color you might want, but a Cane Creek 110 is as fine a headset as there comes. And a CC 40 is about as good a value as there is in a new headset. This application isn't exactly the most visible of headsets. Just a thought.

John H.
05-11-2018, 11:36 PM
They are drop in bearings- I bet dollars to donuts that it comes with everything you need.
Bottom bearing, crown race (in some cases).
Top bearing.
Compression ring.
Top cover.

KonaSS
05-12-2018, 06:11 AM
Back in the day when everything was a standard 1 1/8 press in headset, I cared much more and had my share of Chris King headsets. Since things have evolved and there are 1000 different sizes and many frames come with integrated bearings, my care-o-meter about headsets has dropped significantly.

All my frames with drop in bearings have included the headset (bearings) with the frame. They are usually FSA and I haven't had to replace any, just standard maintenance.

If I do have to buy a headset, my go to is the Cane Creek 40 and never think about it again.

fignon's barber
05-12-2018, 06:45 AM
They are drop in bearings- I bet dollars to donuts that it comes with everything you need.
Bottom bearing, crown race (in some cases).
Top bearing.
Compression ring.
Top cover.

Yes, this frame comes standard with a cc 40 HS.

cadence90
05-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Yes, this frame comes standard with a cc 40 HS.

I don't understand the original question then. One would think the op's lbs would have told him/her that.

The CC 40 is perfectly fine, in that case; no need to look any further than that.

mistermo
05-13-2018, 06:45 AM
Yes, I have an XL Hakka MX. I can confirm headset is included. I didn't understand the reason for the question either.

fignon's barber
05-13-2018, 09:20 AM
I don't understand the original question then. One would think the op's lbs would have told him/her that.

The CC 40 is perfectly fine, in that case; no need to look any further than that.

Absolute. That's why I doing my own shopping for this kind of stuff on the internet.

PacNW2Ford
05-13-2018, 04:15 PM
I think OP was thinking upgrade and matchy-poo city. The shop correctly told him that there wasn’t a CK option, they did good.

CiclistiCliff
05-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Yet Paceliner is complaining the shop told him the correct info

Lovetoclimb
05-14-2018, 06:57 AM
Correct, I was hoping I could do a nice matching matte slate HS and T47 BB. However if there is an included HS w/ the frameset even better. That's $200 saved!