PDA

View Full Version : Ti Cycles Reviews

campy man
05-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Looking at having some modifications made on a titanium frame and Ti Cycles seems like a good option. Portland isn't local but they are on the West Coast ... close enough.

Any Paceliners with experience using Ti Cycles for modifications and/or repairs?

CiclistiCliff
05-11-2018, 02:57 PM
A very finicky customer of mine had a tandem built by him a year or so ago. Amazing quality but he's a bit eccentric, but what frame builder isn't.

Highly recommended.

David Tollefson
05-11-2018, 04:43 PM
Another "highly recommend". I have two custom builds from the early 90's -- one ti Softride road bike, and one steel Softride track bike (with brake accommodations). Both have been rock-solid builds and have been put through years of racing and other abuse. Nary a whimper from either one.

I also did an intensive 3-day frame building seminar with Dave Levy that turned into a complete 1-on-1 session, with a complete frame build coming out the other end. It was the beginning of my frame building business...

Further, TiCycles used to be based in Seattle, and I raced against the Avanti team that sported MANY TiCycles builds. Dave also raced for them, and I knocked handlebars with him on the race course many times (okay, not literally "knocked handlebars", but you get the idea). Competent racer, all-around nice guy, opinionated enough, but not overbearing.

Kirk007
05-11-2018, 04:50 PM
Dave has been at it a long time and does stuff well beyond the norm (for instance he also fabs custom parts for old Honda NSX cars).

Many years ago Dave did a bunch of mods on an old Serotta legend frame for me, he's quite handy and should be able to do pretty much anything you want that makes sense to him.

cachagua
05-12-2018, 12:39 AM
The Avanti team that sported MANY TiCycles builds...

Thanks for the reminder, Avanti was my team too when I was racing in Seattle. Nicest looking jersey of all the local teams!

I got Dave to do a paint job on a frame for me, and he brought a number of flaws in the construction to my attention, including one which could have grown into a safety issue. Fixed them for a very good price, and then did a fantastic job with the paint. And I'm still using a ti quill stem he made for me back around the mid-90s. 100% recommendation.