PDA

View Full Version : One night near Stanford U - where to eat?

d_douglas
05-11-2018, 09:06 AM
My buddy is going to Stanford for a work conference this weekend and is wondering where to eat.

He’s a foodie so is curious about Chez Panisse for its history, but perhaps there are others that might appeal. Can anyone suggest a restaurant or two that are must visits and not far from Stanford?

It doesn’t need to be fancy - if you know of the best tacos in the city, let me know!

jtakeda
05-11-2018, 09:15 AM
Manresa

State bird provisions

I’ve heard good things about liho liho

Commonwealth

Wood tavern.

Some of these are a little bit out of the way but closer than chez

FWIW Chez might not totally blow you away. Don’t get me wrong—the food is amazing—but it’s very simple. Minimal-simple-fresh ingredients.

pdonk
05-11-2018, 10:14 AM
Not a local, but here are some comments from my trip 2 years ago

Meh on State Bird - had a meal there 2 years ago and could not understand the hype. Dim sum style service (seeing food travel around and never make it to you) and small plates that don't form a complete meal are pet peeves of mine though.

Had a good, but safe meal at Foreign Cinema.

Enjoyed trick dog, food was good, drinks good, atmosphere fun.

liho liho was on our list of places to eat, but we changed our minds, once we discovered my wife was pregnant (no raw meat/fish for her)

Freier
05-11-2018, 11:14 AM
Terun and iTalico on California street are both good eats, and owned by avid cyclists!

Hindmost
05-11-2018, 12:29 PM
Chez Panisse is a heck of a drive from Stanford.

donevwil
05-11-2018, 12:40 PM

Yeah, but then he'd be in the proximity of a truly elite university. ba-dum-bum-CHING!

beeatnik
05-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Yeah, but then he'd be in the proximity of a truly elite university. ba-dum-bum-CHING!

Go Bears!

weaponsgrade
05-11-2018, 01:10 PM
Manresa's good. I had company holiday dinner there once, but it's a town or two over from Stanford/Palo Alto.

I'll throw out a vote for Tamarine if you want something really close to Stanford; and also croissants at Mayfield Bakery.

ginsued
05-11-2018, 01:15 PM
I second Terun or iTalico.

My buddy is going to Stanford for a work conference this weekend and is wondering where to eat.

He’s a foodie so is curious about Chez Panisse for its history, but perhaps there are others that might appeal. Can anyone suggest a restaurant or two that are must visits and not far from Stanford?

It doesn’t need to be fancy - if you know of the best tacos in the city, let me know!

jtakeda
05-11-2018, 01:15 PM
For something less fancy and some drinks the bywater in Los Gatos is a fun time

Salty
05-11-2018, 01:24 PM

This.

Chez Panisse is great but it’s over an hour from Palo Alto under the best of circumstances and could be several or more depending on when you try it.

tourmalet
05-11-2018, 01:45 PM
Oren's for a casual bite. Yummm.

EricEstlund
05-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Garden Fresh is one of the best vegan Chinese places I've ever been too.

sevencyclist
05-11-2018, 02:44 PM
I live in Palo Alto, so very familiar with restaurants around here.
In general, ethnic food is great around here. Persian, Taiwanese, Korean, Greek, Japanese, Chinese, Brazilian, and Mexican food aplenty. Also lots of California fusion type of food.

Within each type of ethnic food, there are also subdivisions. For example, Japanese dining can mean Raman, Sushi, Gohan, Teppanyaki, Yakimono etc, and some restaurants caters to specific type of Japanese cuisine. Within Korean dining, there are restaurants that serve BBQ, Dogani Soup, Korean Chicken, Korean noodle house etc.

For Mexican food my favorite is up in San Mateo, Poncho Villa. http://smpanchovilla.com/
Palo Alto cheap Mexican Como Esta http://comoestataqueria.net/
Fancier Palo Alto Mexican Reposado http://www.reposadorestaurant.com/#about

If you know what type of food and price range, I can make specific recommendations. Enjoy!

GonaSovereign
05-11-2018, 02:50 PM
Terun and iTalico on California street are both good eats, and owned by avid cyclists!

I've run into teams many times I've eaten at Terun. Food's great too, if you like simple Italian.

sevencyclist
05-11-2018, 02:51 PM
I'll throw out a vote for Tamarine if you want something really close to Stanford; and also croissants at Mayfield Bakery.

Agree with Southeast Asian fusion at Tamarine and best croissants is at Mayfield. Best German Pretzels is at Esther's Bakery on San Antonio in Mountain View.

PeregrineA1
05-11-2018, 03:21 PM
Salt Box is a bit north. Inventive and tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

srcarter
05-11-2018, 03:43 PM
I like all of the nicer Palo Alto restaurants mentioned, but don't think any are exciting enough to be a destination. I think a trip to SF is warranted.
In addition to some other great suggestions in SF, I recommend:

Rich Table
Sons and Daughters

Hindmost
05-11-2018, 05:47 PM
I live in Palo Alto, so very familiar with restaurants around here...For Mexican food my favorite is up in San Mateo, Poncho Villa.

Does La Bamba in Mountain View still do a killer take-away burrito?

November Dave
05-11-2018, 05:51 PM
My niece goes to school there. If you listen to her, one should just eat in Stanford food service. It sounds fantastic.

EricEstlund
05-11-2018, 06:17 PM
Reposado is pretty tasty.

srcarter
05-11-2018, 07:13 PM
I like all of the nicer Palo Alto restaurants mentioned, but don't think any are exciting enough to be a destination. I think a trip to SF is warranted.
In addition to some other great suggestions in SF, I recommend:

Rich Table
Sons and Daughters

And on the cheap end of the spectrum, one of the best places I have been lately is Santa Ramen in San Mateo.

monkeybanana86
05-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Sancho's for fish tacos is one street over from University. Ceviche yum. Tiny place.

Oren's on University by the theater for hummus, falafel, etc. Or go next door if you want dim sum instead.

Then get ice cream in funky flavors at Scoop at end of the block. I usually get cardamon ginger if available. Or I mix vegan coconut with chocolate.

Lot's of options!

Make sure you try coffee in San Francisco! Maybe get in line at Tartine for full breakfast.

tylercheung
05-11-2018, 09:36 PM
Keep in mind SF is 1 hr away and parking sucks.

Palo Alto is...ok. For Western food, things are “ok”, but not SF Michelin Star world class.

If local, suggest:
Googling or yeping Asian food closer to PA. See: korean/Taiwanese places in Cupertino, dim sum and Cantonese Inc millbrae.

On sundays, farmers market on California Ave w good Oaxaca Mexican fare and really good a good Vietnamese banh mi stand. Vietnamese in San Jose or Milpitas...

roguedog
05-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Where's he from? If he's from the Vancouver area I would probably skip the sushi, seafood (if you've been to Blue Water it's hard to top) and Chinese food. You have that in abundance up there.

There's a ton of different types of Indian down here (Zareen's in Palo Alto is good) and if he likes Korean, I'd try Jang su Jang. My Korean coworkers love that place. Also for interesting Middle Eastern, Dish Dash in Sunnyvale is really good. Not open on Sun.

And if he likes Mexican .. as noted tons of Mexican. I really like Vive Sol in Mtn View or he can go to Palo Alto Sol since it's closer. Some great little taquerias around too.

sevencyclist
05-11-2018, 11:13 PM
Does La Bamba in Mountain View still do a killer take-away burrito?
They sure do! I prefer Poncho Villa, but La Bamba is close.
:)

sevencyclist
05-11-2018, 11:18 PM
And on the cheap end of the spectrum, one of the best places I have been lately is Santa Ramen in San Mateo.

For Ramen, I love Orenchi which is in Cupertino/Santa Clara. Micheline recommended. Wait can hover around 60-90 minutes though.

San Mateo has Ramen Dojo which is my second choice, and Ramen Parlor is next to it if the Dojo's wait is more than an hour.

In SF, there are many good Ramen places, with Ippudo opening one recently near Metreon.