PDA

View Full Version : Giro - They're on Mt. Etna (Spoilers inside)

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Tiz has it.

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 10:15 AM
Mitchelton Scott with a great day!

and Froome finished mostly with the favorites.

nalax
05-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Mitchelton Scott with a great day!

and Froome finished mostly with the favorites.

Yep. That last 5k or so was fun to watch.

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 10:36 AM
Yep. That last 5k or so was fun to watch.

Did it bother anyone else that they butchered the spelling of "johan" every time Chaves was on the screen?

kramnnim
05-10-2018, 11:16 AM
Did it bother anyone else that they butchered the spelling of "johan" every time Chaves was on the screen?

https://www.olympic.org/jhoan-esteban-chaves-rubio

http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2017/us/riders/orica-scott/chaves-rubio-jhoan-esteban.html

hoonjr
05-10-2018, 11:30 AM
I'm liking that the time differences aren't outrageous among the GC favorites. Does it mean that there is less doping going on? I sure hope so.

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 12:04 PM
https://www.olympic.org/jhoan-esteban-chaves-rubio

http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2017/us/riders/orica-scott/chaves-rubio-jhoan-esteban.html

hmmmm, maybe it is an alternative spelling.

Or, one person typed it into some database incorrectly, and all future queries on that database return the incorrect name.

ultraman6970
05-10-2018, 12:18 PM
His name is johan esteban, somebody put it wrong somewhere and since that day the dude will have that spelling :P...

Great win, as been happening in the last 5 years the Giro already turning very interesting. W/o puffing the things changes a lot.

Mark McM
05-10-2018, 12:51 PM
I'm liking that the time differences aren't outrageous among the GC favorites. Does it mean that there is less doping going on? I sure hope so.

Nah. It just means that they are choosing to ride conservatively, which is common early in stage races. You don't want to either show your hand too early, or to risk blowing up and creating an early deficit.

homagesilkhope
05-10-2018, 01:02 PM
hmmmm, maybe it is an alternative spelling.

Quickstep's got Ecuadorian champion Jhonatan Narvaez, so there is that.

EDS
05-10-2018, 01:57 PM
Nah. It just means that they are choosing to ride conservatively, which is common early in stage races. You don't want to either show your hand too early, or to risk blowing up and creating an early deficit.

Agreed. Also think Dumoulin and his team are happy to let another team set tempo/defend pink.

Billybob62
05-10-2018, 02:57 PM
Agreed. Also think Dumoulin and his team are happy to let another team set tempo/defend pink.

Agreed but at the same time, the favorites have to be impressed/concerned with they way Yates bridged up to Chaves (and his TT on stage 1)....

Quilts
05-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Agreed but at the same time, the favorites have to be impressed/concerned with they way Yates bridged up to Chaves (and his TT on stage 1)....

My only concern is that Yates is peaking too early and will be suffering by week three. Would be happy to see him on the podium in Rome though.

azrider
05-10-2018, 03:44 PM
Does it mean that there is less doping going?

as two guys from........(wait for it)......SCOTT finish the stage 1,2. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

BobO
05-10-2018, 05:11 PM

I suspect that we're not too far from being able to call Yates one of the favorites. That kid is coming along very nicely as a pro.

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 09:20 PM
I suspect that we're not too far from being able to call Yates one of the favorites. That kid is coming along very nicely as a pro.

yeah, the way he rode the last 2 km today.... super talented. I attribute it like 98% to his genes :)

holliscx
05-11-2018, 02:37 AM
Matt why don't you post one Giro discussion thread denoting spoilers vs a separate thread for every facet of the race?

Drmojo
05-11-2018, 08:59 AM
one for spoilers
one for commentary
one for Froome’s demise