PDA

View Full Version : Ritchey Steel (issues?)

tculbreath
05-10-2018, 09:27 AM
No angst here, just looking for insight.

I had two Ritchey Swiss Cross frames fail at the brake stop braze-on (top tube). They warrantied both. The latest frame they warrantied, I requested a Road Logic frame in its place. Both of my Swiss Cross frames were 59's. Same with the road frame. Has anyone had a problem with the road frame? Asking as my wife is having concerns about me building up and riding another Ritchey.

AngryScientist
05-10-2018, 09:33 AM
interesting.

what was the nature of the failure - crack?

icepick_trotsky
05-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Who needs a back brake anyway?

David Kirk
05-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Are you saying the braze-on came off the top tube or that the top tube broke in the area of the braze-on?

dave

tculbreath
05-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Are you saying the braze-on came off the top tube or that the top tube broke in the area of the braze-on?

dave

It cracked right behind the stop on the TT. Appeared to be where the tube butting began. Some thought it might have been due to overheating when the cable stop was welded on, or butting was too thin for the 59tt.

David Kirk
05-10-2018, 10:40 AM
Well doesn't that suck......

It could be that the tube was cooked, it could be that they chose the tube poorly and that the butt is right in that high stress head affected zone or it could be a combo of the two.

dave

Plum Hill
05-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Always wanted a Swiss Cross and was ready to order one from the LBS when one came back with a cracked TT. Shop told me that was the second Swiss Cross failure they had. Out of two sold.
I was assured the frames were covered under warranty.
I left the itch unscratched but still look for a NOS from a few years ago.

Mark McM
05-10-2018, 05:05 PM
It cracked right behind the stop on the TT. Appeared to be where the tube butting began. Some thought it might have been due to overheating when the cable stop was welded on, or butting was too thin for the 59tt.

Or that the localized extra stiffening (caused by the cable guides) created stress concentrations in the tube too close to the butt transitions (and the butt transitions further amplified local stress concentrations). This is also seen if long point lugs are used and the lug tips end too close to the butt transitions.

longlist
05-10-2018, 05:12 PM
i have a breakaway with a downtube that crumpled. right by the cable things. but i hit something. it did get fixed by tom ritchey though.

charliedid
05-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Seems to be an issue.

We had one come back with the same deal.

Ritchey has always pushed the envelope do doubt. I rode P-20 Team bikes (brazed by Tom) back in the early 90's and two of them rusted through.

They stand by their product though.

Sorry for your trouble.

Peter P.
05-10-2018, 07:29 PM
Even if the frame cracks at that spot you'll have plenty of time (weeks, if not months) to notice it and do something about it. There should be no worry as cracks in steel frames propagate slowly.

I had a Bridgestone MB-3 ATB frame crack in the same location as the OP's frame. I merely put a hose clamp around the crack and rode the bike for another 8 weeks while I waited for another frame to arrive!

elliott
05-10-2018, 07:56 PM
Even if the frame cracks at that spot you'll have plenty of time (weeks, if not months) to notice it and do something about it. There should be no worry as cracks in steel frames propagate slowly.

I had a Bridgestone MB-3 ATB frame crack in the same location as the OP's frame. I merely put a hose clamp around the crack and rode the bike for another 8 weeks while I waited for another frame to arrive!

This is terrible advice.

zap
05-11-2018, 09:14 AM
This is terrible advice.

Maybe but others have done it including myself. Same for a crack in an alumium mtb frame. I also rode a seriously cracked carbon fork (very very carefully) back home.

Now titanium, a crack in titanium propagates really really fast. Dangerously so.

Lewis Moon
05-11-2018, 10:59 AM

CRAP!!!
(swivels around to check the bright red TT on the 59cm Swiss cross he commuted in on)

Rusty Luggs
05-11-2018, 01:15 PM
There should be no worry as cracks in steel frames propagate slowly. An absurd blanket statement with no validity in my my opinion. I have had two steel frames develop cracks which propagated significantly within 10 miles of riding.
Getting away without bad consequences from a poor decision is not the same as making a good decision.

duff_duffy
05-11-2018, 02:18 PM
I’m with Rusty on this one and I’ll ride just about anything.

MikeD
05-11-2018, 02:25 PM
No angst here, just looking for insight.

I had two Ritchey Swiss Cross frames fail at the brake stop braze-on (top tube). They warrantied both. The latest frame they warrantied, I requested a Road Logic frame in its place. Both of my Swiss Cross frames were 59's. Same with the road frame. Has anyone had a problem with the road frame? Asking as my wife is having concerns about me building up and riding another Ritchey.

No but they dent easily. Mine fell over and put a small dent in the top tube. The rear wheel alignment is also a little off at the chainstays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mistermo
05-11-2018, 03:37 PM
Back in the day, I rode a Pinarello (Columbus SLX) with a crack in the seat tube for nearly 3yrs before I had the $ to get it fixed. I wouldn't do that with carbon or Al, but worked for me with steel. YMMV.

Kontact
05-11-2018, 04:02 PM
Don't be fooled by the orientation of the photo - this is failure near the head tube. I wouldn't presume that it will fail in any way other than immediately and catastrophically.

Black Dog
05-11-2018, 04:28 PM
How a crack fails really depends on where it is located.