PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance for REAL hubs?

d_douglas
10-18-2006, 08:58 AM
What is the trick to pulling apart REAL brand hubs to replace the bearings? Is that a dustcover I see, or will I damage the bearings by prying the little black plastic seal from the axle?

Gotta love Switzerland - I found this front disc wheel behind our apartment building garbage disposal because one spoke was broken!! The bearings are a bit rough, so I want to see if I can replace them and get the wheel running. If not, back to the junkpile!

of note, I also found a GT Avalanche MTB a couple of years ago - the frame was cracked, but the rest of the components were useable. In Canada, every last part would be stripped from the bike before the frame was recycled!

Ahhh, the perils of having too much money and not enough patience...

39cross
10-18-2006, 09:18 AM
Hey D_D, what's happening with the locked bike these days? Any progress on your acquisition?

d_douglas
10-18-2006, 12:43 PM
Ha Ha -

this thread is not the result of a stolen bike!! And by the way, you've reopened that rather painful wound - i have let it lie for the moment and haven't been by to check it out, but I would guarantee that it is still there.

In all honesty, I have as much as given up. As Swiss nationals have said, there is virtually NO WAY that the city would hand over that bike. The only way it will leave there is if it is stolen, or if the city comes along and removes it because it is cluttering the streets.

The wheel was just thrown beside the garbage container outside our building along with another wheel (junk) and a few other household items that had seen better days. I have been pondering didsc wheels for my MTB but have no disc mount on the frame, so am presently relegated to a front disc. Now, all I have to do is buy an AVID disc caliper and rotor and I am set! (that is if the hub is not irreparably trashed)...