PDA

View Full Version : Tim Wellens

MattTuck
05-09-2018, 04:02 PM
Man, I like this guy. Not sure how I missed him coming of age, but the dude is a great rider, and seems like a rider with integrity.

One rider in particular, Alejandro Valverde, was at the heart of the Giro d’Italia stage four winner’s comments when he spoke to reporters following his punchy win at the Italian race on Tuesday.

“It’s true that I’m not a fan of riders who ride even faster after a doping suspension than before”, Wellens said before going on to talk about Valverde’s position.
Wellens is not a big fan of Valverde

“It bothers me that Valverde never explained what happened at the time [in Operación Puerto].”

Comparing Valverde to Dutch former pro Thomas Dekker, Wellens said he preferred the disgraced cyclist’s openness with Dekker admitting to doping during his cycling career.

“I find someone like Thomas Dekker less bad,” says Wellens told Belgian news outlet Sporza. “Dekker says at least what happened, that hurts the sport, but to heal you have to have a little pain.”

weisan
05-09-2018, 04:37 PM
Tim Wellens is Betsy Andreu in a Man's Body.

pbarry
05-09-2018, 06:54 PM
Thanks, Matt. Nice win for a guy with the courage to speak out. :beer:

ptourkin
05-09-2018, 07:03 PM

Oh, does he lecture everyone for pages upon pages about "moral" issues on Facebook? Asking for a friend.

MattTuck
05-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Thanks, Matt. Nice win for a guy with the courage to speak out. :beer:

Not just speak. As I understand it, he withdrew from a race after getting sick, rather than take a TUE. Actions speak louder than words, in my book.

Of course, it may all be a convenient cover, and I've fallen for it. But still, it is a nice contrast from certain other riders out there.

Mikej
05-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Not just speak. As I understand it, he withdrew from a race after getting sick, rather than take a TUE. Actions speak louder than words, in my book.

Of course, it may all be a convenient cover, and I've fallen for it. But still, it is a nice contrast from certain other riders out there.

I’d like to know what he had and what the drug was- cuz I’ve been sick before a race and took some otc but it maybe brought me to like 35%- sooo...I cant imagine a one time use tue that would Bruce by me back. Unless he got bit by a swarm of killer bees on the morning of.

Seamus
05-09-2018, 10:46 PM
I believe it was Cortisone due to a heat-induced allergy/skin infection.

doomridesout
05-09-2018, 10:50 PM
Oh, does he lecture everyone for pages upon pages about "moral" issues on Facebook? Asking for a friend.

As usual I can count on you for the realness and a laugh on this forum.

CunegoFan
05-10-2018, 06:41 AM

I doubt Wellens will waste twenty years of his life complaining about the size of other riders' houses while maintaining a creepy Facebook account reminiscent of a cork board pinned with pictures, articles, and scraps of papers about Jodie Foster that might be found in John F. Hinckley's basement.

pasadena
05-10-2018, 08:44 AM
Tim Wellens is great
Betsy Andreu is great
Frankie is a great guy

These guys and gals show real courage, the kind every blowhard doesn't have in extraordinary situations or even very normal ones.

CunegoFan
05-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Tim Wellens is great
Betsy Andreu is great
Frankie is a great guy

These guys and gals show real courage, the kind every blowhard doesn't have in extraordinary situations or even very normal ones.

The courage to spend months with her BFF, Kathy LeMond, spreading rumors and lies about Armstrong using a motor, so friends of mine (who don't even like Armstrong) have to put up with dbags accusing them of using motors? When will she find the courage to fess up about that one and apologize for it?

ghammer
05-10-2018, 12:19 PM
In the Latin-speaking world (basically western Europe and South America) there's a very appropriate term for Wellens' candor, which is *greatly* appreciated. We call it "Wellenismo". So whenever Tim Wellens or any other rider addresses the doping issue without any fear of reprisals, we refer to it as "Wellenismo". And he's right.

azrider
05-10-2018, 01:18 PM
I like this guy.

MattTuck
05-10-2018, 01:26 PM
In the Latin-speaking world (basically western Europe and South America) there's a very appropriate term for Wellens' candor, which is *greatly* appreciated. We call it "Wellenismo". So whenever Tim Wellens or any other rider addresses the doping issue without any fear of reprisals, we refer to it as "Wellenismo". And he's right.

haha, I want this to be true.