PDA

View Full Version : Had to give myself an hour

benb
05-09-2018, 02:18 PM
No crashes today, and I didn't get hit by a car, but I think today might have been in the top 3 most dangerous road rides I've done. (Not counting races or sketchy group rides where 99% of the danger is from other cyclists.)

I checked to see the phase of the moon, it's not that. But for some reason I saw more dangerous auto driver behavior than just about any ride I've ever done. Certainly for a measly 1 hour ride, and certainly for riding outside of of high traffic areas.

10+ cases where I was going 20mph or so and the speed limit was either 20mph or 25mph and a car came up behind me on a blind curve or going up a hill and crossed completely over the double yellow line and almost had a head on accident with a car coming the other way. Every single time I caught the car at the next intersection so they gained nothing. Our town just changed all roads with no posted speed limits to 25mph in the whole town I am hoping the police start writing up some big fat tickets as we've got a big problem with out of town people cutting through town driving 40+ mph in the residential neighborhoods to try and avoid traffic on the highway.

Another case I was following a dump truck and the dump truck took a wide right turn, completely blocking the view in both directions. Had a driver decide this was a great time to take a left out of the street the dump truck was turning onto. Had to do an emergency maneuver as I came around the dump truck. Not a particularly close call as I'd already slowed down but I'd have had a good chance of T-boning him for sure in a car.

Finally I was at a dangerous 3-way intersection trying to take a left turn. I'm stopped at the stop sign and a mini-van approaches from my right, he's got no traffic control and is trying to take a left onto the road I'm exiting on. The road he's on is curving to the right and downhill which makes it really hard when you're in the car in his position to see oncoming traffic before taking the left. So he stops in the intersection and proceeds to go try and make a facebook post, staring down at his phone while he's trying to take the left turn. Junior operator, so I went ahead and yelled at him to put the phone away. (All phone use even hands free is illegal here for junior operators.) Funny thing here is this spot is actually a very very very common place where the police hang out and write tickets.

Too bad, I'm riding really well right now.

Black Dog
05-09-2018, 02:22 PM
Yup, things have changed on the roads. Not for the better. It is really less safe out there.

sailorboy
05-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Yea, its pretty much epidemic at this point. I don't think I'm overstating it when I say it seems like every 2nd or 3rd driver I see, whether I'm riding or driving, is using a phone in some way. Agree that enforcement must be increased.

benb
05-09-2018, 02:57 PM
I can get the thing with being tempted to use it stopped in traffic or even if you're an idiot when you're on a straight highway.

This stuff is just whole other level stupid though because we're talking about narrow twisty roads with rolling hills.

I.e. the fun stuff to ride/drive on, where you're drifting over the lines or into the dirt in 5 seconds if you look down and you would normally be 100% engaged paying attention to driving.

duff_duffy
05-09-2018, 03:02 PM
I ride very late at night when most average people are going to bed but before drunks are leaving the bars. Ride on back roads and enjoy the lack of traffic! The few cars that are out you can hear and see a far way out, just get out of the way. I live out in suburbs and works well.

longlist
05-09-2018, 03:05 PM
it helps when bike lanes are around. i commute in chicago and we have a bunch of bike lanes now. but its still very scary especially due to buses and taxis.