PDA

View Full Version : Powertap & HR Data Problems

tmanley
10-17-2006, 11:09 PM
I've borrowed a friend's Powertap SL and I'm experiencing problems with the computer unit capturing my heartrate. I'm using my own Polar chest strap that I use with my 720i.

If I hold the computer close to me and don't put it in the craddle the HR data gets picked up and displayed. But after attaching the computer to the bike and rolling down the road, the HR data goes blank.

I've replaced the computer battery and this hasn't helped. Does anybody have any ideas as to why this might be happening?

-Thanks, Todd

Ginger
10-17-2006, 11:57 PM
Do you have another wireless computer on the bike?

If I forget, and leave the battery the chainstay sending unit of my Cateye double wireless my powertap won't pick up my heart rate.

tmanley
10-18-2006, 12:48 AM
I took off the Polar 720i when before I rode the bike today. This evening I hopped on the rollers and tried things out again. Same problem...

So back to the manual and I found this nugget, "PowerTap uses a non-coded chest strap." I pulled up my shirt and examined my Polar chest strap and it clearly states "T61-Coded".

I wonder if this is the problem?!?

bocarider
10-18-2006, 08:28 AM
The Polar chest strap for the 720 series is coded and will not be picked up by the Powertap computer head.

Interestingly enough, I have both a Powertap and a coded Polar HRM on my bar and the chest strap that came with the Powertap triggers both monitors. I have tried the Polar strap and it clearly is not going to work with the Powertap.

Use the Cycleops chest strap and you should be fine.