PDA

View Full Version : OT: The Mountain breaks deadlift world record

Climb01742
05-09-2018, 09:07 AM
A little humpday fun.

I know some of us lift to help our riding. So I thought maybe this might be fun to watch. A few things to note: The Mountain_really_is a mountain. He's 6'9", 420. Watch the dude who bleeds from his nose while he lifts. And on Mountain's WR lift, watch how much the bar bends. Holy cow.

https://nerdist.com/game-of-thrones-moutain-deadlift-world-record/

Bertleman
05-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Now I'm going to go do some deadlifts!!

Dude
05-09-2018, 09:29 AM
only 800 more pounds and I'll tie that record.

PQJ
05-09-2018, 09:34 AM
The real question, though - can he take down the Hound?

MattTuck
05-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Knowing nothing about this kind of thing, shouldn't the measure be a ratio of the weight you picked up vs. your body weight?

I mean, it is great and all that he lifted that much. But would someone 100 pounds lighter even be physically capable of lifting that much?

Climb01742
05-09-2018, 09:39 AM
The real question, though - can he take down the Hound?

I know, right? Isn't that a battle you're hoping to see in season 8? So many showdowns await us (I hope!)

bicycletricycle
05-09-2018, 09:59 AM
Eddy is still my hero.

EricEstlund
05-09-2018, 10:05 AM
Knowing nothing about this kind of thing, shouldn't the measure be a ratio of the weight you picked up vs. your body weight?

I mean, it is great and all that he lifted that much. But would someone 100 pounds lighter even be physically capable of lifting that much?

There are weight classes (for things like Olympic competitions), and then there are max lift records such as this.

stev0
05-09-2018, 10:05 AM
1041 lb/472.1897 kg, for those who don't want to click through :hello:

fiamme red
05-09-2018, 10:22 AM

I mean, it is great and all that he lifted that much. But would someone 100 pounds lighter even be physically capable of lifting that much?In Olympic weightlifting, the Sinclair Formula is used: https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/pound-for-pound-lifting-who-is-stronger-wilks-vs-sinclair.

I think that the late Naim Süleymanoğlu had the highest Sinclair Total ever. On the other hand, he did have an advantage of only being 4'10", and didn't have to move the bar as much as taller lifters to get it overhead.

mt2u77
05-09-2018, 10:29 AM

Of course not, but since he's now the world record holder, by definition no one else of ANY weight is physically capable of lifting that much (or at least of those who have tried). :) Some things in this world are not meant for small people, just like this guy would never ever win a climb up Mt. Ventoux.

There are weight classes in competitive weightlifting which effectively implement your ratio of lift to body weight argument, and they no doubt change the body type that wins, but there is something pure about the uncategorized fastest, strongest, highest, farthest etc. in any competition.

David Tollefson
05-09-2018, 10:40 AM
Looked like he had some margin to go higher... Incredible lift.

brockd15
05-09-2018, 11:04 AM
Wow, unbelievable.
On a related now, I've at times been sucked into youtube videos of pro arm wrestling matches :o. Don't judge!

Anyway, here's The Mountain arm wrestling the world champ Devon Larratt.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkL-bAH8H4

Mzilliox
05-09-2018, 11:18 AM
Geez, what a frickin beast

PQJ
05-09-2018, 11:57 AM
I know, right? Isn't that a battle you're hoping to see in season 8? So many showdowns await us (I hope!)

Yep. And some major disappointments as well, no doubt.

/thread derailment

alexsteinker
05-09-2018, 01:18 PM
I shot most of that video! Pretty awesome time. I work for Rogue (we designed the barbell, plates, and sponsor Thor individually as well at The Event)

Thor is an awesome person to work with. The bar is designed to bend like that. a traditional bar would have very little whip like this. You have to pull a lot further before the weight even leaves the floor. Pretty cool!

dogrange
05-09-2018, 01:26 PM
Wow, unbelievable.

On a related now, I've at times been sucked into youtube videos of pro arm wrestling matches :o. Don't judge!

Anyway, here's The Mountain arm wrestling the world champ Devon Larratt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkkL-bAH8H4

Wow, that is awesome.? What skill, the arm wrestling champion just toys with a super strong strongman who outweighs him by like 200 lbs, amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Climb01742
05-09-2018, 02:04 PM
I shot most of that video! Pretty awesome time. I work for Rogue (we designed the barbell, plates, and sponsor Thor individually as well at The Event)

Thor is an awesome person to work with. The bar is designed to bend like that. a traditional bar would have very little whip like this. You have to pull a lot further before the weight even leaves the floor. Pretty cool!

Cool! The video was very well shot, I thought. Two shots I liked in particular: the close up of Thor’s knee with chalk being applied, and to shoot him in reverse, from behind, on his WR lift. Unexpected and more dramatic, I think. Well done!

oldturd
05-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Wonder how much more difficult that pull would be on a stiff bar :butt:

54ny77
05-09-2018, 08:26 PM
That dude with the blood pouring out of his nose.....WHAT THE HECK????

Talk about internal pressure! :eek:

wc1934
05-09-2018, 08:58 PM
That dude with the blood pouring out of his nose.....WHAT THE HECK????

Talk about internal pressure! :eek:

exactly - good thing the blood came out from his nose - all the pressure in his head - I was thinking stroke.
I've seen race horses bleed thru their nostrils (from exertion). They are usually put on lasix, a blood thinner. But never a human athlete. Wow - and he didnt seemed phased.