PDA

View Full Version : TRP HyRd disc pads .... input please?

henrypretz
05-07-2018, 10:56 PM
I want to replace the pads on these brakes before the Lost & Found ride and wondered if there is anything out there that out performs the stock TRP pads. I see that Kool Stop offers standard, ceramic back and organic front, and "copper plated backing plate and sintered front for extreme conditions like down hill". The stock replacement pads that I installed stop pretty well, with just a bit of fade on the longest descents. This could be caused by user error, but I feel that I'm pretty careful about trying to save the brakes on such downhills.
So, any Paceline wisdom on the hot setup for these brakes?

Thanks as always,
Henry

jbay
05-08-2018, 03:21 PM
TRP's stock pads stop fine but don't last well in wet, gritty conditions.

EBC Gold work really well - as long as the pad remains attached to the backing plate. Both my wife and I have survived a pad delaminating, but it's not a pleasant occurrence.

SwissStop D15S (their sintered/metallic option) have been working very well, but they're expensive and hard to find.

-- John

foo_fighter
05-08-2018, 03:26 PM
I've had pretty good luck with discobrake pads. They are pretty cheap too.

mingc
05-08-2018, 03:43 PM
I agree with John that the stock TRP pads work fine but don't last long in wet and gritty conditions. Shimano E01s metal pads and B01S or M05 resin pads are direct replacements. I use the metal pads on the bikes I ride in the rain and resin pads on the bikes I ride only when its dry (cause they don't have fenders). I think the resin pads modulate better but don't last much longer than the stock pads in the rain. Shimano appears to have discontinued the E01S, but they're still widely available on the web, as are the B01S and M05.

vqdriver
05-08-2018, 06:19 PM
i had not-great experience with the stock pads. weak initial bite and squealing i just couldn't remedy. between the originals and replacements sent by trp, i think i ended up with something like 8 complete sets.

ultimately i just use shimano resin pads and it fixed all. re compatibility, trp says this "The Spyre, Hy/Rd and Hylex use a Shimano M525/M515-compatible pad" so it's easier to find and lots of options

macaroon
05-09-2018, 02:46 AM
Shimano's own pads are pretty good TBH.