PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a light 27.0mm seatpost in black?

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Hi! I'm looking for a 27.0mm ultralight seatpost for my Sandvik built Mongoose RX ti. Must be black, either CNC alloy or carbon, and under 200g (though the lighter the better) along the lines of a USE Alien, KCNC, Tune, Woodman, etc. Modern or vintage is fine for this build.

I only need about 5" showing outside of the frame

Does anyone know of a particular model that's lovely and comes in 27mm? I'm coming up with pretty few options. I've been told the Thomson Masterpiece (my least preferred but it would do) and Woodman posts come in 27.0 but I can't find any.

Happy pedaling!

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 01:43 PM
thomson?

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 01:44 PM
It can be found in the Thomson elite which is too heavy & generic for this build, but I can't find a 27mm Masterpiece

jtbadge
05-07-2018, 01:49 PM
The Elite at 216g is hardly heavy. I'd wager that's the lightest 27.0 on the market right now.

Generic, yes.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 01:55 PM
The Elite at 216g is hardly heavy. I'd wager that's the lightest 27.0 on the market right now.

Sure it's not "heavy", but it's certainly not light when there are countless 140g posts and even more 180-190g posts.

More so, this is a boutique frame that's going to have a boutique build, and the Elite is too mainstream and common. Think TA Zephyr cranks, TM-14 rims, Chorus/Record 9sp carbon, Wound Up fork, TRP R979EQ, 1990's King 2Nut, loud ultraviolet ambrosio tape

v531xc
05-07-2018, 02:01 PM
I should have a black Ritchey 27.0 post at home. I'm not sure of the weight, but I feel like its a decently light option. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and I can snap a photo or two tonight.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 02:02 PM
I should have a black Ritchey 27.0 post at home. I'm not sure of the weight, but I feel like its a decently light option. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and I can snap a photo or two tonight.

PM incoming!!!

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 02:12 PM

PM incoming!!!

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 02:36 PM
Sure it's not "heavy", but it's certainly not light when there are countless 140g posts and even more 180-190g posts.

More so, this is a boutique frame that's going to have a boutique build, and the Elite is too mainstream and common. Think TA Zephyr cranks, TM-14 rims, Chorus/Record 9sp carbon, Wound Up fork, TRP R979EQ, 1990's King 2Nut, loud ultraviolet ambrosio tape

zephyr cranks are heavy.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 02:38 PM
zephyr cranks are heavy.

Your point? Please keep your comments to yourself if you're not going to say something helpful

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
Your point? Please keep your comments to yourself if you're not going to say something helpful

Sorry, I though lightweight was a theme and that is why you were looking for a lightweight seat post.

How a bout a bold titanium seat post? They will make any size.

I had a titanium american classic post in 27.0 once but I think they are rare.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 02:51 PM
I mean, if you read my post you would have seen that I want a black post in alloy or carbon. The theme was very specifically lightweight, black, alloy or carbon seatposts, not a platform for your debates about how light you think my crank is

DRietz
05-07-2018, 02:55 PM
I mean, if you read my post you would have seen that I want a black post in alloy or carbon. The theme was very specifically lightweight, black, alloy or carbon seatposts, not a platform for your debates about how light you think my crank is

I don’t think BikeTrike meant any offense...

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 02:58 PM
I am sorry for the disappointment in our interaction, good luck with getting a seat post.

I think you should relax a little.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 02:59 PM
I don’t think BikeTrike meant any offense...

I didn't read it as offense, but it read as unnecessary opinions based on something other than what was stated in my post. I guess the internet 'splaining gets old

spacemen3
05-07-2018, 03:05 PM
zephyr cranks are heavy.

IIRC, a Zephyr Light double only weighs about 560 grams. I don't think this qualifies as heavy.

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 03:09 PM
I didn't read it as offense, but it read as unnecessary opinions based on something other than what was stated in my post. I guess the internet 'splaining gets old

Not to be pedantic, you did state the parts on the bike.

I misunderstood your post and made a comment. No big deal here. If you ask a bunch of random people for advice on a seat post I think the chances of getting only responses you like is low. I wasn't 'splanning notin. More curious than anything. I like Zephyr cranks but rarely see them on a sort of lightweight regular road build.

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 03:10 PM
IIRC, a Zephyr Light double only weighs about 560 grams. I don't think this qualifies as heavy.

they are if you think a 216 gram post is heavy.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 03:10 PM

Right? Quite light for an alloy crank. They're so versatile too! :)

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 03:12 PM
Not to be pedantic, you did state the parts on the bike.

I misunderstood your post and made a comment. No big deal here. If you ask a bunch of random people for advice on a seat post I think the chances of getting only responses you like is low. I wasn't 'splanning notin. More curious than anything. I like Zephyr cranks but rarely see them on a sort of lightweight regular road build.

Oh, I see your signature now! Also, nothing I do could be considered "regular". That's just boring :D

Ruimteaapje
05-07-2018, 03:15 PM
The problem is that 27.0mm was outdated by the time seatposts became that light. I've looked for a nice carbon seatpost for my Presto for quite some time but gave up in the end. Selcof did a titanium 27.0 post called "Titanio" which is obviously not black and close to impossible to find - and I'm sure that if you bring enough cash Jure Berk can make a weightweenie 27.0 seatpost.

www.berk-composites.com

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 03:19 PM
The problem is that 27.0mm was outdated by the time seatposts became that light. I've looked for a nice carbon seatpost for my Presto for quite some time but gave up in the end. Selcof did a titanium 27.0 post called "Titanio" which is obviously not black and close to impossible to find - and I'm sure that if you bring enough cash Jure Berk can make a weightweenie 27.0 seatpost.

www.berk-composites.com

Ya, that does seem to be the problem, ugh. I wish I could find a U.S.E. Alien post from the 1990's, I am pretty sure I've had one of them in 27mm before.

This Berk stuff looks super cool!! I totally can't justify spending that much for a post on this build. Oh well!

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Oh, I see your signature now! Also, nothing I do could be considered "regular". That's just boring :D

I don't know how much can do spirit you have but sanding the clear coat off of a 27.2 carbon post would probably get you down to 27.0.

If you mask it perfectly the clear part could bottom out on the top of seat tube and keep it from slipping down as well.

You could probably die though so don't do it.

I bet Tune made a 27.0 seat post a long time ago that was lightweight and black.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 03:21 PM
I don't know how much can do spirit you have but sanding the clear coat off of a 27.2 carbon post would probably get you down to 27.0.

If you mask it perfectly the clear part could bottom out on the top of seat tube and keep it from slipping down as well.

You could probably die though so don't do it.

I bet Tune made a 27.0 seat post a long time ago that was lightweight and black.

I would love to find a Tune in 27.0! Maybe I need to start messaging these builders and see if they have one-offs hanging around the shop somewhere.

Yea, that sounds like certain death. lol

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 03:23 PM
are you heavy? I bet you could ream the seat tube up to 27.2mm

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 03:26 PM

Hmm, that's an idea. are there any frame builders here that can comment on the safety of doing that in a thin tubed ti frame?

Ralph
05-07-2018, 03:41 PM
The Ritchey WCS in 7050 alloy is about as light as alloy seat posts get. But only see it in 27.2, not 27. Others versions are heavier 6000 series alloy. if you find a seat post in 27, and want it light, make sure it's from 7050. Some lighter posts have flimsy clamp areas.

Ralph
05-07-2018, 03:45 PM

I would find a 27.0. Cut off some if weight is that big a deal to you.

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 03:56 PM

ya, but he could cut off the Extra from a light one and have an even lighter one!!

I would import a NJS nitto in 27mm in black (or silver and get in ano'd). Not light but cool and rare. they would "match" some of your other parts better IMHO

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 04:01 PM
ya, but he could cut off the Extra from a light one and have an even lighter one!!

I would import a NJS nitto in 27mm in black (or silver and get in ano'd). Not light but cool and rare. they would "match" some of your other parts better IMHO

Um, he?

jumphigher
05-07-2018, 04:02 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP, my (extra-light build) Koga Miyata uses a 27.0 seat post. I'm currently using an old Ritchey 27.2 carbon post I carefully sanded down to fit (:banana:). It's pretty light but not an ideal situation longterm, though I've had it on there for a year now. But yeah I've searched high and low, OP, and havent found anything superlight in the size we need.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 04:03 PM

Thanks Ralph!! Yea you're right, modifying this frame would be silly. My search for a cool 27.0 continues!

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 04:06 PM
Um, he?

sorry. ze?

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 04:12 PM
sorry. ze?

wow. now you're just being an ass or you haven't bothered looking at my signature once. Ze/zir are legit pronouns, but they are not mine

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 04:12 PM
I'm in the same boat as the OP, my (extra-light build) Koga Miyata uses a 27.0 seat post. I'm currently using an old Ritchey 27.2 carbon post I carefully sanded down to fit (:banana:). It's pretty light but not an ideal situation longterm, though I've had it on there for a year now. But yeah I've searched high and low, OP, and havent found anything superlight in the size we need.

Koga Miyata's are so rad! Yea it is seeming like we're out of luck. It's like the bike industry decided to pick ONE component to cooperate into just a few standard sizes, it had to be seatposts. I can do without the 15 BB and HS standards lol

mhespenheide
05-07-2018, 04:19 PM
I don't know of anything that's boutique and 27.0mm.

How about 25.4mm and using a shim? There's a selection of those, particularly now that Cannondale is using it on their synapse model (and other builders as well).

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 04:20 PM
wow. now you're just being an ass or you haven't bothered looking at my signature once. Ze/zir are legit pronouns, but they are not mine

I was being an ass, Sorry I didn't see your signature. Not in the habit of reading them.

Rayne_in_Spokes
05-07-2018, 04:30 PM
I don't know of anything that's boutique and 27.0mm.

How about 25.4mm and using a shim? There's a selection of those, particularly now that Cannondale is using it on their synapse model (and other builders as well).

ooo good idea!! I had thought about shimming an old USE Alien post, but didn't realize that the shimmed seatpost thing has come back! It looks like ENVE has a 25.4mm post that would look rad on this bike, not terribly sure I want to spend $275 on a post for this but maybe. I'll look into the Cdale and FSA ones. Thanks for the idea!!

jumphigher
05-07-2018, 07:32 PM
Koga Miyata's are so rad! Yea it is seeming like we're out of luck. It's like the bike industry decided to pick ONE component to cooperate into just a few standard sizes, it had to be seatposts. I can do without the 15 BB and HS standards lol

Thanks. Yeah it's frustrating having an oddball size seat post, so few options out there. I'm liking that other poster's suggestion about shimming a 25.4 post though, probably what I'll do eventually. I definitely wouldnt ream out your Ti frame to 27.0 size. :)

Cicli
05-07-2018, 07:43 PM

You like to pick fights dont you? Relax a bit.
Oh, and congrats. You are the first person (maybe) on this fine forum to make my ignore list. :bike:

jtakeda
05-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Not a huge help but something to think about.

If a Thomson was the aesthetic you’re going for but the elite is too portly—why not just cut down the post?

It’s 216g at 330mm

If you need 5” exposed you could get away with cutting 1/4-1/3 of the post and still being ok.
That would certainly reduce some weight.

The shim idea works too but factor in the weight of a shim which isn’t much but you might end up breaking even either way?

Just a thought

bicycletricycle
05-07-2018, 08:30 PM
You like to pick fights dont you? Relax a bit.
Oh, and congrats. You are the first person (maybe) on this fine forum to make my ignore list. :bike:

Rad, maybe before that you can explain to me what I did wrong.

cmbicycles
05-07-2018, 09:10 PM
I think this was addressed to the OP, not you.

cadence90
05-07-2018, 10:20 PM
I think this was addressed to the OP, not you.

I think so as well. Not the kindest/most elegant of exchanges by the OP, but, that said...

...an Extralite "The Post 2" and "The Post UL2" fit all the (27.0mm/boutique/black/sub 200g (180g or 154g)/7075 CNC/as good as tune, better than the others) criteria, IF one can find one.

Email Extralite, ask if they might have one of either model around.

Ask the original question over on Weight Weenies also, if you have not already done so.

Good luck.

Cicli
05-08-2018, 06:06 AM

No way, all you did was give advice.
The OP asked a question he already new the answer to then complained when he didnt get that answer. Then got all butthurt. I have no time for people like that in my life. Even on the internet.
I even had pm’s on how I added the OP to ignore. Sad and glad at the same time.
I think its cool that people here dont have to know how the “ignore” feature even works.

bicycletricycle
05-08-2018, 09:29 AM
I think I need to take a little more time before posting sometimes.

on eBay (im sure you looked but I though I would post for general consumption). I know they are not exactly what OP was looking for but they are interesting 27.0mm posts.

Ringle
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ringle-Moby-Seatpost-27-0-x-350-Silver/302709377156?hash=item467ae28884:g:6O8AAOSwE~lapa-7

american classic TI
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Titanium-Seatpost-American-Classic-27mm-350Mm-Vintage-Road-MTB-Bicycle/311666452977?hash=item4890c4a9f1:g:Wr8AAOSweW5U71U Y

XTR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-VINTAGE-SHIMANO-XTR-27-0-x-330-x-25-SETBACK-SILVER-SEATPOST/272664879537?hash=item3f7c17e1b1:g:bY0AAOSwq1JZEjf o

nitto s83 (a favorite )
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NITTO-S-83-Silver-Seatpost-Seat-Pillar-with-2-Bolts-S83-27-0mm-L300/132465900975?hash=item1ed7953daf:g:yv4AAOSwT6pVi7t z

colker
05-08-2018, 05:51 PM
This is a weird thread.

It starts w/ a "boutique" mongoose sandvik frame and gets weirder.. It´s like a paralel universe thread.

dddd
05-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Well, hey, it's all free advice!

Unfortunately the size is going to greatly limit your boutique choices, but I suppose a 27.2 could be sanded down, if you are light and if your saddle is positioned to the forward side of normal perhaps.
Or, consider painting a suitable silver post(?).

Consider the above to be a joke, otherwise Captain Careful and the Safety Nozzies will come down on me again. I used to race motorcycles at very high speeds with tubeless front tire glued/sealed onto a lighter-weight spoked wheel, and so I obviously lack common sense.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3734/12420445294_9f9fe22c4b_c.jpg