PDA

View Full Version : Which Garmin (or other) do I get?

belopsky
05-06-2018, 12:30 PM
I dont want to spend a lot, but I want maps/turn by turn..
I don't want to have to pair it to my phone. I want to use my phone only for emergencies, not logging Strava/GPS.

kramnnim
05-06-2018, 12:37 PM
Garmin Edge 800 will do the mapping and doesn’t connect to phones. Should be $100-$150 used

eddief
05-06-2018, 12:55 PM
The 1000 screen is bigger and higher res than the 800.

makoti
05-06-2018, 01:58 PM
820 does all that & connects with the phone. I don't use that to do Strava, but it is nice to get text alerts or see who's calling & if I need to stop and take it.

Alan
05-06-2018, 02:17 PM
Look at his site. I would buy the Wahoo Bolt or the Garmin 520 plus. I have a Bolt and like it. Cost is $250 but you can buy from REI and get the rebate. Garmin 520 Plus is $280. If you want true turn by turn you need to spend this much. Don't go cheaper.

I have heard that Lezyne has new models coming out soon but haven't see anything yet.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

C40_guy
05-06-2018, 02:24 PM
Look at his site. I would buy the Wahoo Bolt or the Garmin 520 plus. I have a Bolt and like it. Cost is $250 but you can buy from REI and get the rebate. Garmin 520 Plus is $280. If you want true turn by turn you need to spend this much. Don't go cheaper.

I have heard that Lezyne has new models coming out soon but haven't see anything yet.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Great resource!

What happened to his podcast?

ptourkin
05-06-2018, 02:26 PM
Great resource!

What happened to his podcast?

He does YouTube now. Based on his feedback the 520 Plus release is delayed. It didn't work for him.

mcteague
05-06-2018, 02:48 PM
He does YouTube now. Based on his feedback the 520 Plus release is delayed. It didn't work for him.

A Garmin did not work as it was supposed to? :eek:

Tim

Black Dog
05-06-2018, 03:08 PM

To be fair the issue he had was very unique and Garmin is working to solve it. 99.99% of users would not have his issue.

kramnnim
05-06-2018, 04:07 PM
I would buy the Wahoo Bolt or the Garmin 520 plus. I have a Bolt and like it. Cost is $250 but you can buy from REI and get the rebate. Garmin 520 Plus is $280. If you want true turn by turn you need to spend this much. Don't go cheaper.

If you want something with a warranty, this has true turn by turn. It's basically an 800 that can't connect to ANT+ sensors other than a HR strap.

https://g.factoryoutletstore.com/details/169736/garmin-edgetouring.html?category_id=29446&catalogitemid=149949

muz
05-06-2018, 04:21 PM
Wahoo Bolt. It's not perfect, but heads and shoulders above Garmin. Or buy my Garmin 800 for cheap.

fogrider
05-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Wahoo Bolt. It's not perfect, but heads and shoulders above Garmin. Or buy my Garmin 800 for cheap.I got the Bolt and it's great...it has turn by turn but a little different. And the battery life is awesome!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

belopsky
05-06-2018, 04:36 PM
Do I need the phone for the Bolt? Can I plug it into my computer to get GPX files?

I assume there's an app that it uses to sync with strava?

adub
05-06-2018, 05:37 PM
Buy a Garmin if you don't mind losing the occasional ride, the unit freezing, locked screens and just general sketchiness with the device.

JAGI410
05-06-2018, 05:45 PM
I’ve been using a Garmin 200 for nearly 5 years, and it’s only lost one ride. Otherwise it has performed excellent. I haven’t experienced the Garmin hate that others have. I am in the market for a Wahoo bolt though.

muz
05-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Do I need the phone for the Bolt? Can I plug it into my computer to get GPX files?

I assume there's an app that it uses to sync with strava?

Bolt can sync via your phone or home wifi. You could connect via USB, but why bother?

kramnnim
05-06-2018, 09:45 PM
Bolt can sync via your phone or home wifi. You could connect via USB, but why bother?

Because you have to charge it. :banana:

Jcgill
05-06-2018, 11:11 PM
I’ve been using a Garmin 200 for nearly 5 years, and it’s only lost one ride. Otherwise it has performed excellent. I haven’t experienced the Garmin hate that others have. I am in the market for a Wahoo bolt though.

I second this...

I have a Garmin Edge 500 and a 920xt watch and do not recall ever having an issue with either. I never update the firmware, simply charge them and press start, stop, and save. I use the 920 more for the ride metrics and the Bluetooth uploads and i keep the 500 around basically as an odometer for my bikes(never upload those rides.) I have been eyeing the Fenix lately for the wrist HR feature instead of the chest strap.
Knocking on wood now.

muz
05-07-2018, 12:01 AM
Because you have to charge it. :banana:

I get more than 16 hours while using navigation, backlight, multiple sensors. So you don't need to charge it after every ride. By the time I sit down at my couch, the ride is already uploaded to Strava over wifi.

I have a Garmin Edge 500 and a 920xt watch and do not recall ever having an issue with either.

Yes, I am also happy with my 920xt. It seems most Garmin problems have to do with navigation. When my 800 worked, it worked really well. You just couldn't rely on it. In fact you could rely on it crapping out by mile 200.

dk2ck
05-07-2018, 12:19 AM
I was under the impression that you need to connect your Wahoo to your phone via Bluetooth in order to get turn-by-turn data. Is that not the case?

muz
05-07-2018, 12:51 AM
I was under the impression that you need to connect your Wahoo to your phone via Bluetooth in order to get turn-by-turn data. Is that not the case?

No, in fact you don't need your phone at all except to setup your Wahoo upon initial purchase. It is highly integrated with the phone app, so you can download a new route to Wahoo while out on a ride, etc. Otherwise, you copy a route to your RideWithGPS account, it automatically gets synced to your Wahoo.

old fat man
05-07-2018, 05:21 AM
No, in fact you don't need your phone at all except to setup your Wahoo upon initial purchase. It is highly integrated with the phone app, so you can download a new route to Wahoo while out on a ride, etc. Otherwise, you copy a route to your RideWithGPS account, it automatically gets synced to your Wahoo.

Nevermind

Alan
05-07-2018, 06:16 AM
Trying to clear this up for all.

Once you have a route on your phone from ridewithgps you can sync to the Bolt with bluetooth but your phone needs to be connected to the internet.

Note that the Bolt can easily connect to home wifi networks but can't connect to hotel type networks that require a login process.

If traveling you can load the route to your phone (while it is connected to hotel or other internet) and then sync by bluetooth.

This is a bit confusing so best to try it on your own but it does work as I have tried it. My concern was if I need to load routes while traveling and it does work.

Alan

jiii
05-07-2018, 06:25 AM
I just made the switch from my Garmin 520 to the Wahoo Bolt and can't applaud the Bolt enough.

The UI is so much cleaner and more intuitive. I also find the screen setup, display, and navigation to be much friendlier than the 520.

Nooch
05-07-2018, 08:12 AM
i really have never had an issue with my garmin units (and I've had a 500, 810, 1000), sans the very old 500 locking up probably because of too many files in it. But, in a very short time I've already run into an issue with the bolt with a corrupted file not transmitting to strava because the battery died mid ride (which was a shock, because I'd charged it fairly recently).

C40_guy
05-07-2018, 08:40 AM
Yes, I am also happy with my 920xt. It seems most Garmin problems have to do with navigation. When my 800 worked, it worked really well. You just couldn't rely on it. In fact you could rely on it crapping out by mile 200.

I have two 800s...have had them since the 800 first came out. I'd only have one, but I need more bike profiles than one provides (IIRC 5).

I've never had an issue with either one.

Yes, the battery will be dead at 200 miles... My 800, with its original battery, lasts about 150 miles, which for me is plenty. If I remember to charge it overnight, it's fine. (last time I forgot, and the unit died 5 miles from the end of a two day event. I switched to my Fenix 5 and then stitched the two files together to have a complete event record.)

muz
05-07-2018, 09:14 AM
I have two 800s...have had them since the 800 first came out. I'd only have one, but I need more bike profiles than one provides (IIRC 5).

I've never had an issue with either one.

Yes, the battery will be dead at 200 miles...

The problem is not the battery, I always charge during the ride when doing longer than a 300k. The problem is that the 800 cannot reliably log a ride longer than 200M. It will freeze and turn off, and good luck getting it restarted without a factory reset. I have been able to log some 400K's, but never a 600K. Bolt can log a 1200K as a single file, as can other Garmin's like 910XT.

C40_guy
05-07-2018, 09:20 AM
The problem is not the battery, I always charge during the ride when doing longer than a 300k. The problem is that the 800 cannot reliably log a ride longer than 200M. It will freeze and turn off, and good luck getting it restarted without a factory reset. I have been able to log some 400K's, but never a 600K. Bolt can log a 1200K as a single file, as can other Garmin's like 910XT.

Got it, I understand. That hasn't been an issue for me. :)

For those facing this particular issue, there may be a workaround. If you save each day as a separate ride, you may be able to edit the ride files and stitch them together into a single ride. Sub-optimal, I agree, but...

muz
05-07-2018, 10:24 AM
For those facing this particular issue, there may be a workaround. If you save each day as a separate ride, you may be able to edit the ride files and stitch them together into a single ride. Sub-optimal, I agree, but...

600K is a single day ride (well, day and night, and then some) :)

Garmin has many other annoying issues involving navigation. Sometimes it stops giving turn by turn directions. It often gets confused on out-and-back segments on the route.

These days half the people lining up at a long distance ride (brevet or double century) seem to have a Bolt. Quite impressive given the head start Garmin had.

ptourkin
05-07-2018, 10:51 AM
600K is a single day ride (well, day and night, and then some) :)

Garmin has many other annoying issues involving navigation. Sometimes it stops giving turn by turn directions. It often gets confused on out-and-back segments on the route.

These days half the people lining up at a long distance ride (brevet or double century) seem to have a Bolt. Quite impressive given the head start Garmin had.

Yes, this seems to have become theinstant rando fave. Last year I rode alongside a very experienced rider who was using one on the San Diego 600 and in a complicated section of turns through Laguna Beach I was able to use her lights and beeps to anticipate the turns in advance. Neat trick.

I bought one yesterday.

Gummee
05-07-2018, 12:20 PM
Buy a Garmin if you don't mind losing the occasional ride, the unit freezing, locked screens and just general sketchiness with the device.

That hasn't been my experience and I've had 4 of them now

Me? 520+

M

marciero
05-08-2018, 06:14 AM
Interesting about the file size limitations for the Garmin. That is one thing that DC Rainmaker may have missed, as comprehensive and thorough as his reviews are.

I had been settled on the Wahoo but the higher Garmins seem to have nicer "comfort" features for touring such as nicer re-routing when going off course, pannable maps, and on-the-fly point-to-point routing, for example, when you want to bail on the route and just route back home/hotel/campsite you can just punch in the location. These are things a randonneur does not need. Can you download a route generated in google maps on your phone to the Wahoo via bluetooth? That would be enough for on-the-fly routing. We've used google maps bike routes on our phones on occasion when on the road and the routes are actually pretty good.

Also, it seems that Garmin would have/could have addressed many of the well-known issues and general bugginess by now. Is that not the case?

bobswire
05-08-2018, 08:43 AM
That hasn't been my experience and I've had 4 of them now

Me? 520+

M

That's like saying Marriage is a great successful institution in my experience, I've had four of them. ;)

I joke, I joke, I'd recommend the 520+ also.

muz
05-08-2018, 01:16 PM
Can you download a route generated in google maps on your phone to the Wahoo via bluetooth? That would be enough for on-the-fly routing.

Yes, you can find a route to any spot on the fly using the companion app, then download it to the Wahoo. Unfortunately this doesn't work if you are out of cell service.

dem
05-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Also a Garmin refuge, my ELEMNT has been rock solid. Unless you need something Garmin specific, no brainer to go Wahoo.

I think Garmin users who haven't had problems are super lucky. Just today a coworker lost her ride going to work with a new 520. Froze up halfway to work in typical (to me) random Garmin fashion.

spinarelli
05-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Are most people getting the bolt or the larger element?

R3awak3n
05-09-2018, 05:10 AM
Also a Garmin refuge, my ELEMNT has been rock solid. Unless you need something Garmin specific, no brainer to go Wahoo.

I think Garmin users who haven't had problems are super lucky. Just today a coworker lost her ride going to work with a new 520. Froze up halfway to work in typical (to me) random Garmin fashion.

Not saying I love garmin, it has its problem but then I must be luky. This is my 3rd and I have never had a major problem. Has been working well for years. I have the 1000 now and its the beat one I have had.

dieonthishill
05-09-2018, 09:03 AM
Wahoo Bolt. No question. I have been a long time Garmin user and have had probably 4-5 different Edge computers. I will never buy another Garmin after using the Bolt.

eippo1
05-09-2018, 11:06 AM
Not saying I love garmin, it has its problem but then I must be luky. This is my 3rd and I have never had a major problem. Has been working well for years. I have the 1000 now and its the beat one I have had.

The 820 in particular is very buggy with locking up, losing data, etc. Never had issues with Garmin until the 820 and now hate the thing. Plus the fact that if it's off with 60% battery and you don't charge it (or use it) in the next 5 days, it will have 5% when you then go to use it.