PDA

View Full Version : Brake pad: How safe & is it repairable?

makoti
05-05-2018, 08:53 PM
So I'm trying to change brake pads in my Campy brakes to go back to my alloy wheels. The little clip that holds the brake pad in the shoe snaps (it's been a good week for me. Home AC broke, drivers side window quit working the month it needs to be inspected, I got 3 flats this week on a total of 4 rides).
As I see it, braking forces will push the pad into the shoe so not much chance of it falling out while I ride although it's clearly not optimal. True? The rest of the clip is still holding the pad in. It's just the lip you pull up to release the pad that broke off.
Anyone know if these clips can be replaced? Or am I looking at a new shoe? If so, can you buy just one? Or are they pairs?

DRietz
05-05-2018, 10:31 PM
The spring clips can be replaced and are easily purchased by any LBS - come in a pack of 4.

However, as you presume, they are just “assurance” and I don’t think you need to worry about your pad coming out, as long as it’s a snug fit in the shoe anyway.

Also, I feel you on that sort of week. Just have to remind myself that tomorrow’s a new day.

makoti
05-05-2018, 11:07 PM
The spring clips can be replaced and are easily purchased by any LBS - come in a pack of 4.

However, as you presume, they are just “assurance” and I don’t think you need to worry about your pad coming out, as long as it’s a snug fit in the shoe anyway.

Also, I feel you on that sort of week. Just have to remind myself that tomorrow’s a new day.

That's what I'm afraid of. ;)
Thanks for the info. I'll check with my LBS to see if they can get me a pack. I figure the braking forces should drive the pad into the closed end of the shoe anyway, but it never hurts to double check these things with the hive.

lhuerta
05-06-2018, 01:16 AM
Unless u r riding backwards with ur brakes on, u don’t need to worry. But even so, the interference fit would still hold shoes on w/out the clip.