PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless sealant dissolving rim tape?

dsillito
05-04-2018, 03:46 PM
I'm attempting my first set of tubeless wheels, and working up the learning curve.

I'm using finish line sealant, as that was all my LBS had in a smaller volume (not ready to commit to a big bottle yet). I'm using it in a set Schwalbe One 28mm road tires, on American Classic rims, using American classic blue rim tape.

After much faffing around, I managed to get a seal and they were holding air, but unfortunately, my estimates and assumptions on tire clearance were not good, and the tires didn't end up fitting in either of the frames I wanted to run them on. They measured 30mm the newly built-up rims. Loathing to take the tires off after the efforts to get them on, and wasting all that sealant, I actually considered whether an inappropriate tire purchase could justify buying a new frameset. In the end, I decided to take the tires off.

Firstly, what a mess. I'd estimate the pain of dealing with that equates to dealing with at least 5 roadside tube changes. Since I don't puncture all that much, I'm starting to wonder whether this experiment in tubeless makes any sense at all for me. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about, I suppose. Always good to increase my skill set.

Secondly, and this is the reason for the post, the sealant, which was off-white with little black bits in it, like melted 'cookies and cream' ice cream put through a blender, was now a shockingly vibrant blue colour, which must have been from the rim tape. Has anyone else seen this? If it is just the dye bleeding out of the tape, I guess that is no big deal, but if there is a solvent in the sealant that is dissolving the tape, that is another matter. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

chris7ed
05-04-2018, 03:53 PM
I used Stan's tape and orange seal. No issues. You get better dealing with sealant. First few times I made a mess. Now it's clean and easy.

p nut
05-04-2018, 04:35 PM
I haven't seen sealant melting tape. But I've only used Stans, Orange Seal, and Truckerco. All worked well.

I've never used AC tape, either. Just Stans tape, or what I currently use, 3M 8896. Cheaper and works well.

But for a road bike, I personally don't see a need. Just light tubes work well for me. If I lived in NM, I may look into it. But not here. MTB is a different story.

foo_fighter
05-04-2018, 05:13 PM
Do a controlled experiment with a bit of tape and some sealant in a cup or sealed jar and watch it over several days.

dsillito
05-11-2018, 10:08 PM
Do a controlled experiment with a bit of tape and some sealant in a cup or sealed jar and watch it over several days.

I'll see if I have any tape left. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post back if there is anything of interest to report.

bigbill
05-11-2018, 10:27 PM
I've got two sets of wheels with Stan's tape and two set with blue (in this case Pacenti) tape. All four sets use Stan's sealant. No tape issues other than those caused my me with a tire tool. I've been tubeless since last September, and flat free. Two wheel sets are road with 25mm Panaracers, the others are gravel sets.