PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for my mah

false_Aest
05-04-2018, 09:26 AM
My mah needs a new saddle. She's tiny (5'0" 93lbs) 65 years old and just rides casually.

The issues she's communicated:

1. Most saddles she's tried are either way too wide (I'm guessing these are the cruiser saddles) or way too narrow for her.
2. Brooks feels "OK" but it's just too stiff.
3. Everything except the Brooks are ugly (too sporty or "look like a wetsuit")

If I get her a Brooks, how do I help her break it in really quickly? She just not going to ride enough to do it herself.

What other options are there? I know of Selle Anatomica and Gilles Berthoud -- how do those break in for light weights like her?

Danke

hummus_aquinas
05-04-2018, 09:30 AM
Here's a vote for selle anatomica. I've only purchased them used although with confirmed low miles. They're comfortable right away wearing chamois or not.

R3awak3n
05-04-2018, 09:39 AM
I am gonna do +2 on the selle anatomica. I just put one on my bike (had one before and did not like it but it did not have the cutout) and did 50 miles and I cannot believe that I not once felt unconfortable... and it was gravel and bumpy ride. Was impressed. Want to get one for my wife.

She is on a women only terry saddle and she is ok with it but complains about it once in a while.

Leather saddles are great but brooks takes too long to break in, selle feels great out of the box. So does berthoud but I think the SA is more comfortable than the berthoud (then again I never tried the cutout berthoud)

bobswire
05-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Selle Anatomica, no question. https://selleanatomica.com/collections/factory-outlet

Ken Robb
05-04-2018, 10:07 AM
Does Brooks still offer pre-softened saddles? One of the WTB mountain bike saddle might work too. They can be a happy medium in the padding department.

jmoore
05-04-2018, 10:18 AM
There has got to be a Terry model that will work.

Bentley
05-04-2018, 10:58 AM
So does it have to be "leather", if not the Brooks Cambium's are pretty much good to go right out of the box. They make a black one and I have seen a tan one that likely would pass for leather at 100'

Just a thought

Ray

mktng
05-04-2018, 11:13 AM
Find an older Selle Turbo "Special" saddle.
Just did a quick google. guess there were different variations.
Im only suggesting it because ive had one before.

It was white.
Soft leather.
Plush

SUPER comfortable. Not too wide. Not too narrow.

p nut
05-04-2018, 11:24 AM
What bike is this going on?

I set my wife up on her Disc Trucker with a swept back bar. So pretty upright position. She just rides casually. She loves her Brooks B67.

false_Aest
05-04-2018, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the info folks.

What bike is this going on?

I set my wife up on her Disc Trucker with a swept back bar. So pretty upright position. She just rides casually. She loves her Brooks B67.

This is going on a mixte internal 5-speed. I imagine that at this point most of her riding will be with my little niece so not fast, not far, not long.

Clean39T
05-04-2018, 11:59 AM
Periwinkle blue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPCtEMbUgJM

AngryScientist
05-04-2018, 12:10 PM
for an upright bike like that, which will be ridden by a non hardcore cyclist for very short periods of time - i think a nice MTB saddle is the ticket - something decently padded from WTB would probably be perfect. they make a few woman's specific saddles too, and i think the aesthetics are pretty neutral.

https://cdnmos-bikeradar.global.ssl.fastly.net/images/news/2016/04/07/wtb-deva-01-1460036062623-17hymq9mfp5c7-630-354.jpg

brenick
05-04-2018, 11:04 PM
I used to ride a Brooks Team Pro Lady and then I switched to the Selle Italia Lady which has a little padding and a cutout. Widths are about the same.