PDA

View Full Version : Spinlister

monkeytusmc
05-04-2018, 09:04 AM
Has anyone used this app yet? Basically it’s like Airbnb for bikes. You fly somewhere, see who has bikes for rent by looking on an interactive map and the arrange for use of the bike. All negotiations are handled through the app including feedback to the lender and lendee.

Anyone have any experience with this app? You can search for it on the AppStore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meisen
05-04-2018, 09:19 AM
I used it a bit. Started an account a few years back and did one or two rentals and it was ok. Then had to restart my account for some reason, reposted bikes but never got any further inquiries. I think mine might still be listed out there somewhere lol. One thing to try (where I got 50% of my business lol) is posting/bringing a spare bike to races /events.

Seemed like a lot of risk and hassle (like Airbnb without large payouts) though.

Meisen
05-04-2018, 09:20 AM
Hmmm I think I should check that.....

R3awak3n
05-04-2018, 09:51 AM
spinlister is ending... I guess they couldn't make the business work

doubleklobbs
02-01-2019, 09:26 AM
spinlister is ending... I guess they couldn't make the business work

And just like that it's been revived.

New owners are going to push fleet rentals as part of the new offering. They will partner with shops to offer Bluetooth-lockable rental bikes. It's an interesting response to the broader rejection of dockless transport that many cities have begun culling. We'll see how appealing it is to shops who might benefit from maintaining their own fleet instead of signing up with new proprietary bikes.

I think that if successful, they'll probably drop the private listings entirely as it poses quite a bit of conflict over their new core offering.

~~

That said, I've had some bikes listed and never had a single enquiry. That new VC money is going to need to bring some major marketing because I don't think anybody knows about it.

danesgod
02-01-2019, 10:05 AM
I liked the idea of making some money off my bikes when I wasn't riding them, and thought I lived in a good place for it: Near SFO, San Francisco. I had 3-4 bikes listed for over a year and no one ever rented them, I even offered drop off at airport public transit. C'est la vie.

That was 2 years ago, I got their new email this week too. Probably not going back to them, with a kid I don't have time to fiddle with rentals anymore.

brewsmith
02-01-2019, 10:11 AM
It's a shame this didn't catch on. I'd love to be able to make use of some of my bikes when not riding myself. We are lucky to have the PL thread to borrow bikes, but it does seem like a wider solution should be available to the greater cycling community.

Having said all of this, clearly their marketing was lacking, as I have been looking for exactly this type of system/app over CL and other local classifieds, and I had never heard of Spinlister until seeing this thread today.