PDA

View Full Version : best tough 36 hole 700c rim?

bicycletricycle
05-04-2018, 08:37 AM
My main commuter has had velo orange raids on it for 4 years. I have gone through one rear rim (brakes wore through brake track). The new rear rim I put on it has the creakiest eyelets ever and I am really getting tired of it. It has been a year and a half of clicking and popping and I am ready for a change. I have been making a short list of rims and I am interested in some input from the mob.

General specs I am looking for - silver, 36h, Not tubeless, 23-25mm width, welded and machined preferred, tough. I run 35s on this bike.

Mavic A719- welded, eyelets, machined.
I have had good luck with mavics over the years. I ran the T217 rim for a couple years on an old Riv. and they worked great.

Velocity Dyad- machined, pinned :(
I have run these in the past with good luck as well, no eyelets to creak. I do like a welded rim and I have had some problems with new velocity rims and badly aligned seams.

H plus son Archetype- Beautiful, welded, machined-
A little light perhaps. I have had good luck with TB14s.

Thanks for the input.

Meisen
05-04-2018, 09:29 AM
Doesn’t sound like it’s quite what you are looking for but the original O4cds treated me well. Survived my first real wheel building attempt circa 1993. Tension most definitely not even but they still stayed straight. Built on mavic 550 hubs, easily took 10k miles and were only sold when I finally broke and started riding freehub wheels. Anyway, there were a lot of tales of abuse in there like riding cross on them with 28c tires rubbing, doing trail connectors in the middle of road rides and so many potholes.... anyway, mavic makes good stuff but these won’t likely be wide enough for you.

v531xc
05-04-2018, 09:37 AM
I really like the Archetype. I don't feel like its too light or too heavy. I feel like its the better value of the the three you've listed.

Velocity also makes the Cliffhanger, but that annoyingly isn't machined in the polished silver variant. Same with the Atlas.

And if you don't care about silver, DT makes some good touring rims, but then I guess you're back to eyelets.

Bob Ross
05-04-2018, 09:46 AM
I had 36h Mavic Open Pro rims on my commuter/foul-weather bike for many years and they were ...um, adequate. Last time I had the rear wheel rebuilt the shop recommended an Open Sport rim instead. Also brass nipples. After those two changes this wheel has been bombproof, I'm pretty impressed.

fiamme red
05-04-2018, 09:48 AM
I have Velocity Atlas rims on my urban commuter. They're a little heavy, but have stood up to abuse very well.

http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/atlas-622

ergott
05-04-2018, 09:55 AM
DT TK540 is an excellent touring rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

donevwil
05-04-2018, 10:03 AM
I love A719s, very high quality, 24.5 width is nice and are not stupid heavy. Use them as my primary wheelset for local, crappy road riding and they've been trouble free for three years (haven't had to true). Built by Mike V. at BMC.

Depending on budget you may also want to consider the A319 and A119, no experience with those.

For all out bulletproofedness there are obviously the Velocity Atlas, NoBS and Cliffhanger, but I simply can't imagine a commuter rim needing to be that beefy.

I personally would not use TB-14s, although relatively beefy they do require more maintenance on my roads (I have two sets) than my A719s and I actually prefer the A719s ride, stiffness and handling (it is noticeable on long fast road rides).

echelon_john
05-04-2018, 10:40 AM
Another vote for the DT TK540. Pretty tough to kill and not a complete tank.

cachagua
05-04-2018, 11:55 AM
You don't want to flow a little thin-bodied superglue in next to each eyelet?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41euu9KuKJL._AC_US218_.jpg

bicycletricycle
05-04-2018, 12:11 PM
No.

you don't want to flow a little thin-bodied superglue in next to each eyelet?

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/i/41euu9kukjl._ac_us218_.jpg

kingpin75s
05-04-2018, 12:50 PM
You covered a lot of the good choices and I agree with a number of the recommendations.

I have had great experience with all of the following:

- DT TK 540 (and prev. gen 7.1)
- Mavic A719 (and the T217 - still have a pair of 40h NOS that were planned for a possible McClung)
- Velocity Dyads

staggerwing
05-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Another vote for Dyad or DT TK 540. I've built both for personal use, and think the DT rim had lower roundness and flatness deviation than the Dyad. With 36 spokes, both will build up well.

Built a shiny pair of TB14's on older polished White Industry hubs too, but have yet to put them in service. Sure look pretty though.

bicycletricycle
05-04-2018, 01:30 PM
for those who have experience with the DT TK 540, how is tire installation?

echelon_john
05-04-2018, 01:33 PM
Zero issues with Roly Polys, Ruffy Tuffys, Compass, or Bruce Gordon Rock 'n Roads

kingpin75s
05-04-2018, 01:37 PM
for those who have experience with the DT TK 540, how is tire installation?

My experience is that they have been very easy to mount tires on based on mounting BG RnR's and Compass 700x38c tires. I do not run tubeless, but I do use Schwalbe rim strips, thinner than standard rim tape.

oliver1850
05-04-2018, 01:50 PM
Were the DTs made in silver? Thought that was one of the desired characteristics. Only silver 36 hole, 23 mm +, welded and machined rims I can think of are TB14s and Mavic A319s.

Bicyclepair
05-04-2018, 01:53 PM
I'm still a HUGE fan of the Mavic MA40 hard anodized!

Kontact
05-04-2018, 02:07 PM
If you don't mind some out of the box thinking, how about looking for a replacement with the same ERD so you can simply swap the new rim in?

The Raids have an ERD of 607. This list can be ordered by ERD:

http://www.cyclecycle.info/weight-weenie/rims-700c?sort=asc&order=ERD

Some nice options from the list:
Mavic MA3, Sun CR17A, IRD Clyde.

And you can probably go up or down a mm with no issue.

kingpin75s
05-04-2018, 02:24 PM
Were the DTs made in silver? Thought that was one of the desired characteristics. Only silver 36 hole, 23 mm +, welded and machined rims I can think of are TB14s and Mavic A319s.

The DT TK 7.1 rim which is just the previous model of the TK 540 did come in silver and at least up though last year I had found a number of NOS offerings at great prices.

bicycletricycle
05-04-2018, 07:28 PM
I had thought about keeping the spokes but I have already used the rears on two rims and they have a lot of miles on them so I think I am going for new spokes and nipples anyways.

The suns on that list make me think of CR18s. I have used those in the past with good results and they are super cheap. I may even need have a pair in stock.....

If you don't mind some out of the box thinking, how about looking for a replacement with the same ERD so you can simply swap the new rim in?

charliedid
05-04-2018, 07:41 PM
DT TK540 is an excellent touring rim.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sure it

charliedid
05-04-2018, 07:44 PM
My experience is that they have been very easy to mount tires on based on mounting BG RnR's and Compass 700x38c tires. I do not run tubeless, but I do use Schwalbe rim strips, thinner than standard rim tape.

Agree

Also yes on thin tape. I still have Velox in that set and makes it a tad tight. I think all new tubeless rims need thin tape.

charliedid
05-04-2018, 07:46 PM
DT X392 on my SOMA Wolverine is holding up very well as my commuter rig.

Kontact
05-04-2018, 07:58 PM
I had thought about keeping the spokes but I have already used the rears on two rims and they have a lot of miles on them so I think I am going for new spokes and nipples anyways.

The suns on that list make me think of CR18s. I have used those in the past with good results and they are super cheap. I may even need have a pair in stock.....

Ah, c'mon! Reduce, reuse, recycle, Ryan Reynolds.

Those spokes still got mojo.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2018, 06:42 AM

Mavic MA-3 pulled eyelets out with amazing frequency...why Mavic dumped them and redesigned them, became Open Sport..good rim.

rccardr
05-05-2018, 09:54 AM
Pacenti PL23? 2nd gen ones are great, check all the boxes. They are still out there...

bicycletricycle
05-05-2018, 10:08 AM
Pacenti PL23? 2nd gen ones are great, check all the boxes. They are still out there...

I have some but I don’t like how hard tire install is. I ride this bike year around in New England. 1am sub freezing flat fixes need to be as easy as possible.

rccardr
05-05-2018, 02:45 PM
Well, yeah, there is that...

marciero
05-06-2018, 07:37 AM
Not silver but I have two 36 hole dt 540 that came off our tandem with very few miles since i swapped them out if you decide to go that route. In fact, that bike is disc so the brake tracks have no wear. Would sell one or both and can probably avoid shipping as i am in RI on occasion.

choke
05-06-2018, 10:18 AM
TB14s are available in 36 hole silver.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2018, 02:39 PM
Just broke the wheels down and found a cracked hub flange :(

I was looking through my rims and found archetypes in 36 hole so I’m going try those I think, a719 are tempting but I can’t find them in silver. The archetypes are on the light side, curious about how they will hold up.

Kontact
05-06-2018, 02:54 PM
Just broke the wheels down and found a cracked hub flange :(

I was looking through my rims and found archetypes in 36 hole so I’m going try those I think, a719 are tempting but I can’t find them in silver. The archetypes are on the light side, curious about how they will hold up.

You certainly built your wheels correctly if the spokes outlasted several rims and the hub.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2018, 03:23 PM
You certainly built your wheels correctly if the spokes outlasted several rims and the hub.

And 5 or so Schwalbe marathon supremes.

Kontact
05-06-2018, 04:11 PM
And 5 or so Schwalbe marathon supremes.

That seems like an odd ratio of rims to tires. Do you ride with the brakes rubbing for the added workout? ;)

bicycletricycle
05-06-2018, 05:05 PM
That seems like an odd ratio of rims to tires. Do you ride with the brakes rubbing for the added workout? ;)

Everyday in New England, those winters chew through rims.

Kontact
05-06-2018, 05:43 PM
Everyday in New England, those winters chew through rims.

I was commuting in Wisconsin winters, but I didn't brake much because it was uphill both ways.

Sounds like they were tough tires, though.

charliedid
05-06-2018, 08:02 PM
Ah, silver you want.

I should read more carefully.

bicycletricycle
05-06-2018, 08:09 PM

Forgot, 4 panaracer t serve on the back as well. Those wore out a lot faster than the Schwalbe