PDA

View Full Version : OT Car insurance - Geico half of MetLife, really?

NHAero
05-03-2018, 08:49 PM
We've been with MetLife through a local agent for a few years. Just got a new car, Hyundai Ioniq PHEV, so wanted collision. I found out a few months ago that I had collision on our 2008 Honda Fit so I asked them to remove it, but they haven't. Just got the new quote with the new car, with collision and comp, $1000 deductible, on the Fit and the Ioniq, and basic coverage on our 2001 Ford Ranger. Carrying 250/500 BI and 100 PD. Costs us $1658/year. We're in MA.

For grins, I just entered the same data into Geico's online quote calculator, with slightly better deductibles ($500) and the cost is $848/year - about half!

Is this for real?

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-03-2018, 08:50 PM
We've been with MetLife through a local agent for a few years. Just got a new car, Hyundai Ioniq PHEV, so wanted collision. I found out a few months ago that I had collision on our 2008 Honda Fit so I asked them to remove it, but they haven't. Just got the new quote with the new car, with collision and comp, $1000 deductible, on the Fit and the Ioniq, and basic coverage on our 2001 Ford Ranger. Carrying 250/500 BI and 100 PD. Costs us $1658/year. We're in MA.

For grins, I just entered the same data into Geico's online quote calculator, with slightly better deductibles ($500) and the cost is $848/year - about half!

Is this for real?

Geico quotes/writes 6 month policies.

NHAero
05-03-2018, 08:52 PM
Yep, it was $424 for 6 months and I doubled it. Is the first 6 month quote a teaser rate that they double the next 6 months?

Geico quotes/writes 6 month policies.

fa63
05-03-2018, 08:56 PM
We were with Geico for about 5 years. They increased the rates a bit each year (no tickets, no accidents) but not double. That said, the total rate hike over those 5 years was high enough that I shopped around again and found a better deal through Esurance. We pay ~$1,000/year for wife's 2014 Elantra (full coverage) and my 2006 Murano (not full coverage). This is in Atlanta GA.

Yep, it was $424 for 6 months and I doubled it. Is the first 6 month quote a teaser rate that they double the next 6 months?

nmrt
05-03-2018, 08:59 PM
I'm with Geico. Have been with them for many years. They've given me the best rates. However, their rates do go up every year like clockwork. Does not double but a steady increase in premiums every year. Started out at $600/year and am now at $1000/year after 5 or 6 years. I just do not understand it especially when I have no traffic violations.

Anyway, despite the price increase per year, they have still been the cheapest for me. But after 5-6 years, and after their steady rate increase, their competitors rate get closer and closer. I will switch soon enough when Geico's premium surpasses the competition's.

Ken Robb
05-03-2018, 09:03 PM
In many states insurance companies routinely ease up their rates on customers they predict won't change providers. It almost always pays to shop around every year. OTOH I'm in California where there are limits on raising rates and I have been with USAA for years. When I try to get quotes from other companies and they learn I have USAA the other companies end the call. I haven't tried them all but other high-rated insurers don't seem to think there is any probability their quote would be competitive.

eddief
05-03-2018, 09:10 PM
on my 2016 VW Sportwagen, the Costco quote won hands down.

I hate Geico TV commercials more than many other things about which I am not fond.

Pinned
05-03-2018, 10:54 PM
In MA I originally had Amica, they jacked the rates up one year and it was pretty absurd. Shopped around, found that Liberty Mutual offered me better pricing with a local agent that I liked more - I switched. I've shopped it around and no one else has come close, I check every time I get a new car.

The flipside to the price coin is the quality of coverage - Liberty Mutual has been stellar, while the always-highly-regarded Amica was nothing short of a nightmare to deal with. Liberty Mutual even approved an OEM windshield replacement where the glass was 4x the cost of the 'OE' equivalent variant.

I've only had limited dealings with Geico, but it was a hassle due to lack of local agent.

tourmalet
05-03-2018, 11:24 PM
I quoted with GEICO online about half off what I was paying Progressive. I purchased the policy and soon after they sent a letter saying they had miscalculated my rate, promptly increasing it to 120% of Progressive's policy.

Llewellyn
05-03-2018, 11:33 PM
It's called the "lazy tax". It's the extra premium that insurance companies charge each year after you first join them and is basically a penalty for not shopping around for new quotes each year.

dave thompson
05-04-2018, 12:48 AM
It pays to shop for insurance every year, if for nothing else it keeps your agent honest.

NickR
05-04-2018, 07:24 AM
I have Geico, what others have said the rate will increase. A small increase but an increase non the less.

fignon's barber
05-04-2018, 07:43 AM

Is this for real?

Absolutely. I've had Geico now for 7 or 8 years. What they don't mention is that their service is superb. The staff has always been quick,efficient, polite.
I'll give you an example. 3 years ago I was hit by a hit and run driver while riding home from a race on my bike (In Florida, if you're hit by a car while riding your bike, it goes under car insurance). It resulted in a 30 minute visit to the ER that cost $10k. Geico settled the bill with the hospital within 24 hours.

dbrown
05-04-2018, 07:45 AM
I have USAA, for about 30 years. A few accidents, none in the last 20 years or so. As far as I can remember, the rates have always gone down each year- cars were 1 year older, and of slightly lower value. It never occurred to me that rates could go up each year.

AngryScientist
05-04-2018, 07:48 AM
I have USAA, for about 30 years. A few accidents, none in the last 20 years or so. As far as I can remember, the rates have always gone down each year- cars were 1 year older, and of slightly lower value. It never occurred to me that rates could go up each year.

this is my exact experience as well.

what a crap business model - incentives for new customers and punish loyalty.

54ny77
05-04-2018, 08:12 AM
Truth.

This thread is timely: I literally just called my agent 2 weeks ago and said I'm canceling coverage on a particular vehicle and am going with another firm (I've have had same carrier and plan for the past 5 years).

Miraculously, they found a way to cut almost 50% off my annual premium. :eek:

(I was rather annoyed with that, as it would've been nice to save that $ over 3-4+ years.)

The threat of pulling business will keep them honest and competitive. Of course coverage & carrier quality is an important factor, not just price.

It pays to shop for insurance every year, if for nothing else it keeps your agent honest.

NHAero
05-04-2018, 08:24 AM
I just locked in a GEICO policy with better coverage for 48% of what my renewal was invoiced at. I'm not going to give the agent a chance, as they have been unsuccessful at getting MetLife to remove collision from my 2008 Fit.

Thanks for all the insights. And yes, Angry, the business model is indeed crap. I can see having two insurance companies and altering them annually to keep the rates down.

Truth.

This thread is timely: I literally just called my agent 2 weeks ago and said I'm canceling coverage on a particular vehicle and am going with another firm (I've have had same carrier and plan for the past 5 years).

Miraculously, they found a way to cut almost 50% off my annual premium. :eek:

(I was rather annoyed with that, as it would've been nice to save that $ over 3-4+ years.)

The threat of pulling business will keep them honest and competitive. Of course coverage & carrier quality is an important factor, not just price.

benb
05-04-2018, 08:25 AM
this is my exact experience as well.

what a crap business model - incentives for new customers and punish loyalty.

Same model as the Telcos/Cable companies.

Had a horrible story like this with Verizon Fios. They all hate my wife and I because we always subscribe to just the cheapest internet plan we can and never buy any of their highly profitable TV packages.

VZ kept raising my rate every year for like 5-6 years till I was paying 2X what new customers were paying, and new customers were getting 2X the bandwidth they were giving me. Finally switched to Comcast and they gave me 2X the bandwidth at half the price of Verizon. 2 Years later they increased my bandwidth even more and I'm still paying barely more than 1/2 Verizon. Within 3 weeks of switching to Comcast I immediately started getting offers from Verizon that were much more generous than what they were offering me as an 8 year loyal customer. (I had the conversation with them on the phone about customer loyalty being penalized and that went nowhere.)

I've been through this same thing with Liberty Mutual and Geico. They play extra games when you're married and have 2 drivers on the policy.

If I go back 5 years we had Met Life. My wife had an at fault accident. Met Life was going to raise her rate a ton, it was a bad accident and she should have gotten a moving violation for it too but the officer at the scene was nice. Liberty Mutual talked her into switching and basically gave us a new policy where she didn't really get penalized for the accident. The next year after that Liberty Mutual tried to essentially double *my* rate even though they didn't really raise her.

We switched to Geico and got a plan that was about 50% of what Liberty Mutual wanted.

Last year I had an at fault thing.. backed into my own brother's car in my driveway. Pretty minor damage but more than the deductible so I filed it.

What does Geico do this year? They raise my rate a little. But they raised my wife's rate a ton, more than mine!

Probably going to switch again next year. The thing is though, Geico is miles better than any other insurance company I've had if you actually need your insurance. (I think I've had Arbella, Commerce, Progressive, All State, Liberty Mutual, Met Life, and Geico.). Geico is flat out amazing at customer service and convenience when you have an accident. They make everything so smooth and easy and reduce the disruptions of getting your car fixed dramatically.

zap
05-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Next time get a quote from Erie.

Ozz
05-04-2018, 04:46 PM
... I have been with USAA for years. When I try to get quotes from other companies and they learn I have USAA the other companies end the call. I haven't tried them all but other high-rated insurers don't seem to think there is any probability their quote would be competitive.

+1 - been with USAA forever....have yet to find better or less expensive.

Biggest rate hike came when I added my "new driver" son last year!:help: