PDA

View Full Version : Rapha commemorates Hampsten's Gavia victory

fiamme red
05-03-2018, 12:31 PM
For a modest sum, you can dress up to commemorate when Andy "rode towards glory" and won "that mythic mountain stage" of the 1988 Giro.

But don't make fun of L'Eroica riders for "reenactment." :rolleyes:

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/new-arrivals/category/new-arrivals

Gavia jersey: $210
Gavia shorts: $275
Gavia race cape*: $335
Gavia winter hat: $70
Gavia gloves: $55
Gavia base layer: $75
Gavia socks: $20
Total: $1,040

* Sounds more epic than "rain jacket." ;)

ghammer
05-03-2018, 01:34 PM
Bless their hearts...

Ozz
05-03-2018, 01:34 PM
I really should visit the Rapha store here in Seattle someday.....I can see it from my office....:rolleyes:

rallizes
05-03-2018, 02:16 PM
Jersey went quickly

FlashUNC
05-03-2018, 02:17 PM
How dare an American-owned apparel company celebrate arguably the most insane win by a US cyclist ever.

The nerve.

fiamme red
05-03-2018, 02:21 PM

e-RICHIE
05-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Celebrate? More like exploit for marketing purposes.

C'mon Mordecai. You're better than that.

Mikej
05-03-2018, 02:26 PM
Boy that didn’t take long

fignon's barber
05-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Jacket looks kinda nice, especially if you have a Hampsten. But they could have at least employed a model that fit in the hat.

tculbreath
05-03-2018, 02:50 PM
Jacket looks kinda nice, especially if you have a Hampsten. But they could have at least employed a model that fit in the hat.

Or just asked Andy himself!

R3awak3n
05-03-2018, 03:08 PM
I actually really like this release, stuff looks real nice.

Its funny you mention the price, can't of course mention rapha on paceline without commenting on the price... but, don't they have to pay some people to design these things? and the quality of the jerseys are also pretty nice I am sure (just like all the rapha stuff I have bought).

Its so tiring these threads, its the same crap over and over again... you don't like rapha, don't wear it. Post about the release but why post about your hate for the company or the price of the stuff?

I also always ask here, wonder how many people that comment on rapha (and other productds) actually have used said products...

mhespenheide
05-03-2018, 03:17 PM
If you like it, want it, and can afford it, more power to you.

The only issue I have with it is ... is Andy compensated for this in any way whatsoever?

I doubt it. And I don't think they're obligated to do so by law. But it still feels wrong to be selling the memory of his win without some compensation back to him.

fignon's barber
05-03-2018, 03:24 PM
The only issue I have with it is ... is Andy compensated for this in any way whatsoever?

I doubt it. And I don't think they're obligated to do so by law. But it still feels wrong to be selling the memory of his win without some compensation back to him.

Why would you jump to that conclusion? The clothing has Hampsten's Trademarked logo and Andy's name on it. Would you not reasonably assume he receives some benefit?

R3awak3n
05-03-2018, 03:29 PM
I mean, if you checked the rapha page, there is a picture of Andy so even if he is not getting a cent I am sure he is aware of the product.... he probably is making some money of it, at least I hope he is

FlashUNC
05-03-2018, 03:35 PM
Andy's had a rather long-standing relationship with Rapha. He was featured in the Contintental series six years ago now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8SoaBf5qz0

teleguy57
05-03-2018, 03:39 PM
Across the hall all the conversation is positive -- and Steve started the thread. Given that the Hampco logo is on the clothing I'm sure there is good collaboration.

Looks like the winter hat is already out of stock; was going to order one and put my Rapha winter country hat in Norge color up for sale here. Will have to see if they come back in stock....

And I was just thinking I have enough SS jerseys and really need to focus on more LS SPF jerseys since my dermatologist keeps reminding me about that... I have some SPF arm sleeves but just don't like them as much as my LS SPFs. But I may have to make an exception for the blue jersey.

mhespenheide
05-03-2018, 03:48 PM
I stand corrected. And happily so.

jpritchet74
05-03-2018, 03:50 PM
Andy didn't win the Gavia stage of the '88 Giro. He was second. It did put him in a position to win the overall though. One of the greatest days on the bike ever.

But he didn't win that day.

donevwil
05-03-2018, 04:01 PM
...Looks like the winter hat is already out of stock; was going to order one and put my Rapha winter country hat in Norge color up for sale here. Will have to see if they come back in stock...

I wanted to pick one up for my wife, waited too long. Love the winter hat, but she'd love it even more.

R3awak3n
05-03-2018, 04:17 PM
I think its the first time rapha has released a special edition that I really like want want every single piece

macaroon
05-03-2018, 04:30 PM
I can't believe people pay so much money to dress up, to end up looking like such a prick.

Save your money, buy the cheap stuff.

Ozz
05-03-2018, 04:41 PM
I can't believe people pay so much money to dress up, to end up looking like such a prick.

Like this??? I think not.....:rolleyes:

macaroon
05-03-2018, 05:04 PM
Like this??? I think not.....:rolleyes:

:-D he looks pissed (drunk)

dbnm
05-03-2018, 05:07 PM
I love this place.

Clean39T
05-03-2018, 05:29 PM

I can't understand why people pay so much mind to how other people dress, and to deciding whether they are pricks or not based on their clothes.

Save your mental space, worry about your own self.

And maybe consider interacting with people on a personal level before deciding who and what they are.

** nothing personal, I just had to point out the us/them dialectic - our world is too divided as is - we don't need to add to that based solely on what somebody covers their skin with on a bike ride.. IMHO, of course.

*** https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI

Or, of course, if I'm in a more socially conscious form of my default-setting, I can spend time in the end-of-theday traffic jam being angry and disgusted at all the huge, stupid, lane-blocking SUVs and Hummers and V-12 pickup trucks burning their wasteful, selfish, forty-gallon tanks of gas, and I can dwell on the fact that the patriotic or religious bumper stickers always seem to be on the biggest, most disgustingly selfish vehicles driven by the ugliest, most inconsiderate and aggressive drivers, who are usually talking on cell phones as they cut people off in order to get just twenty stupid feet ahead in a traffic jam, and I can think about how our children's children will despise us for wasting all the future's fuel and probably screwing up the climate, and how spoiled and stupid and disgusting we all are, and how it all just sucks, and so on and so forth...

Look, if I choose to think this way, fine, lots of us do-except that thinking this way tends to be so easy and automatic it doesn't have to be a choice. Thinking this way is my natural default-setting. It's the automatic, unconscious way that I experience the boring, frustrating, crowded parts of adult life when I'm operating on the automatic, unconscious belief that I am the center of the world and that my immediate needs and feelings are what should determine the world's priorities. The thing is that there are obviously different ways to think about these kinds of situations. In this traffic, all these vehicles stuck and idling in my way: It's not impossible that some of these people in SUVs have been in horrible auto accidents in the past and now find driving so traumatic that their therapist has all but ordered them to get a huge, heavy SUV so they can feel safe enough to drive; or that the Hummer that just cut me off is maybe being driven by a father whose little child is hurt or sick in the seat next to him, and he's trying to rush to the hospital, and he's in a way bigger, more legitimate hurry than I am-it is actually I who am in his way. And so on.

Again, please don't think that I'm giving you moral advice, or that I'm saying you're "supposed to" think this way, or that anyone expects you to just automatically do it, because it's hard, it takes will and mental effort, and if you're like me, some days you won't be able to do it, or you just flat-out won't want to. But most days, if you're aware enough to give yourself a choice, you can choose to look differently at this fat, dead-eyed, over-made-lady who just screamed at her little child in the checkout line-maybe she's not usually like this; maybe she's been up three straight nights holding the hand of her husband who's dying of bone cancer, or maybe this very lady is the low-wage clerk at the Motor Vehicles Department who just yesterday helped your spouse resolve a nightmarish red-tape problem through some small act of bureaucratic kindness.

e-RICHIE
05-03-2018, 05:43 PM
I can't understand why people pay so much mind to how other people dress, and to deciding whether they are pricks or not based on their clothes.

Save your mental space, worry about your own self.
<cut>

Thank you.

hampco
05-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Atmo bis

Either that Comic Sans goes or I do.

Look585
05-03-2018, 06:34 PM
For a modest sum, you can dress up to commemorate when Andy "rode towards glory" and won "that mythic mountain stage" of the 1988 Giro.

Andy didn't win the (mythic) stage; he did ride towards (overall) glory, but Erik Breukink was the first across the line in Bormio after the ride over the Gavia.

teleguy57
05-03-2018, 07:16 PM
@Clean39T, thanks for being articulate.

A bit of civility goes a long way.

72gmc
05-03-2018, 07:20 PM
I really like the intense red on the cape. Don't love the size of the logo on the front, but hey, that red.

madsciencenow
05-03-2018, 08:20 PM
Thank you.

+2. To each their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ducati2
05-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Classy as usual Clean.

Andy and Steve gave a Q&A evening at the Seattle Rapha store recently and not surprisingly much of the conversation was about the Gavia stage of the 1988 Giro. Pretty fascinating presentation to a standing room only crowd.

pdmtong
05-03-2018, 11:22 PM
accept no substitutes

https://cdnmos-bikeradar.global.ssl.fastly.net/images/news/2008/03/26/raphaHamsten3-630-80.jpg

rustychisel
05-03-2018, 11:25 PM
Has the customary Rapha bashing commenced?

Mikej
05-04-2018, 08:06 AM
I think it looks pretty dang sharp, I like the colors and style. I wonder what the materials feel like?

Mikej
05-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Should have used a Hampco bike, too!

saab2000
05-04-2018, 08:23 AM
Has the customary Rapha bashing commenced?

Sadly, yes. I just don't understand it. As mentioned, worry about ourselves, not what others wear or ride or drive or anything else.

dbnm
05-04-2018, 09:06 AM
Welcome to Paceline High School.

colker
05-04-2018, 09:12 AM
The best solution is to ride fast so no one can figure out exactly what you are wearing.

shoota
05-04-2018, 09:13 AM
Welcome to Paceline High School.

HA, nice one.

I don't understand the hate either.