PDA

View Full Version : Repairs to lugged Ti frame

ghcs
05-02-2018, 07:55 AM
A friend owns an old Miyata, titanium tubes with aluminum lugs, that has started to separate at the downtube/headtube connection. Not cracked, just looks like the bonding agent is losing the battle with time.

Anybody know of a frame builder that can do this type of repair?

Thanks

Black Dog
05-02-2018, 08:43 AM
Good luck. I would be surprised if anyone would take the risk in trying to re-bond the frame. Metal to metal bonding is not really done by builders anymore. However, since there are a few builders that are bonding carbon to Ti, you may have some luck. Focus on builders that do mixed material bikes.

peanutgallery
05-02-2018, 09:23 AM
Drill and sheet metal screws:)

Considering the age of that thing it lived a long and productive life. Wall art at this point. Midpoint of a evolution of the bike diorama or something

Kontact
05-02-2018, 10:57 AM
There are folks known to do Vitus 979 bond repairs. It's pretty much the same construction.

peanutgallery
05-02-2018, 04:42 PM
The repair kit was a little packet of epoxy and zip ties.
Sheet metal screws worked better. Those things rose nicely though

There are folks known to do Vitus 979 bond repairs. It's pretty much the same construction.

Kontact
05-02-2018, 05:49 PM
The repair kit was a little packet of epoxy and zip ties.
Sheet metal screws worked better. Those things rose nicely though

I assume you are kidding about putting a screw through a reamed aluminum tube.

But the OP may want to consider pulling the joint apart, roughing the both surfaces with course sandpaper, acetone wipe and JB Weld, followed by a full week's cure. It may very well be no different than a Vitus repair.

The issue would be any visible powdery corrosion on the aluminum lug. If that's happening I'd retire the frame.

peanutgallery
05-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Not really kidding, its not an easy fix

I assume you are kidding about putting a screw through a reamed aluminum tube.

But the OP may want to consider pulling the joint apart, roughing the both surfaces with course sandpaper, acetone wipe and JB Weld, followed by a full week's cure. It may very well be no different than a Vitus repair.

The issue would be any visible powdery corrosion on the aluminum lug. If that's happening I'd retire the frame.

Kontact
05-02-2018, 08:42 PM
Not really kidding, its not an easy fix

It might not be a viable repair, but the stress risers from using screws isn't an acceptable alternative.

marinoni62
05-02-2018, 09:35 PM
As mentioned previous, there are people that do repairs to Vitus and similarly bonded frames, ie Alan.

This person is based in Vancouver, http://www.guywires.com/vitusmain.htm
He also has/had a good stock of old vitus parts, like grub screws, tubes, lugs, etc. http://www.guywires.com/salestuff/vitusparts.htm

I haven't used him personally, but i believe i had a Vitus that was repaired by him, the only indication was the different sizes stamped on the head tube and chainstay, which would indicate either a head tube replacement or chainstay. No issues with the frame and was solid.

Might be worth investigating a little more if your friend likes the Miyata frame.

dddd
05-03-2018, 11:55 AM
The joint first has to be separated so all the surfaces can be cleaned, and that means the head tube lug has to come off, and then multiple joints re-bonded.

Definitely a job for an experienced expert, so I might just ask them about quoting the job and then decide if a repair is practical.

There are plenty of nice used frames he could buy for the same money as doing this repair, no doubt.

fiamme red
05-03-2018, 12:08 PM
HH (Harry Havnoonian) Bicycles in Philadelphia is well-known for such repairs. Their number is 610-565-6023.

Kontact
05-03-2018, 01:31 PM
The joint first has to be separated so all the surfaces can be cleaned, and that means the head tube lug has to come off, and then multiple joints re-bonded.

Definitely a job for an experienced expert, so I might just ask them about quoting the job and then decide if a repair is practical.

There are plenty of nice used frames he could buy for the same money as doing this repair, no doubt.

It is a 1" overlap on a pretty flexible tube set. It is possible that it can just be flexed apart enough to clean it up. More easily if it is a larger frame.

Bicyclepair
05-04-2018, 01:59 PM
I sent my Merlin to TI Cycles and they did a great job! So good in fact, I sent them my custom stainless frame and again....they knocked it out of the park!! I've also had work done at Tom Kellogg's Spectrum Cycles but I think he only works on his own stuff.

Kontact
05-04-2018, 02:08 PM
I sent my Merlin to TI Cycles and they did a great job! So good in fact, I sent them my custom stainless frame and again....they knocked it out of the park!! I've also had work done at Tom Kellogg's Spectrum Cycles but I think he only works on his own stuff.

I doubt any of those work on bonded bikes.

Spectrum doesn't do anything with titanium in house.

Bicyclepair
05-04-2018, 03:02 PM
Whoops! Sorry! I didn't read "bonded" lugs! I know they don't do bonded but, has Tom stop working on Ti bikes?!

glepore
05-04-2018, 03:15 PM
Tom hasn't done anything in house with ti-Seven does his fabrication to Tom's spec. The only thing he does with ti is paint. Jeff brazes the steel bikes in house.

Bicyclepair
05-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Jeff!! Yes! great guy, very knowledgeable! While it didn't seem like a "production" house when I was there, Jeff had quite a few builds going on.

peanutgallery
05-04-2018, 08:14 PM
Just turn the thing into a couple of bongs and make a lamp out of the fork, it's done