PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless, 32mm, light, and fast?

VTR1000SP2
05-01-2018, 07:27 PM
I'm currently running 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on a set of wheels. At 60psi they measure 30mm. Thinking of trying out a 32mm which I imagine will inflate closer to 35mm or 38mm depending on the tire.

Imagine a 32mm tubeless version of the GP4000SII. IIRC, these are some 32mm options that come to mind: GravelKing, Re-Fuse, G-One Speed, Strada LGG but all these seem like they'd be great gravel tires, not quite what I'm after.

What I'm hoping for is a fast rolling, lightweight, tubeless compatible, black sidewall tire that can handle road and dirt duty. Does such a tire exist?

echelon_john
05-01-2018, 07:30 PM
Compass Bon Jon

VTR1000SP2
05-01-2018, 07:37 PM
Compass Bon Jon

The cost of the Bon Jons left me slightly disappointed when I saw this test - https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compass-bon-jon-pass-2018

fa63
05-01-2018, 07:47 PM
I did a 53 mile ride last weekend on Panaracer Gravelking 32c slick tires. I am running them with tubes. They seemed to roll fine; I had no trouble keeping up with a relatively fast group. I did get yelled at a couple times for not pointing out small potholes; between the high volume tires and my suspension stem, my brain must have been re-calibrated since I barely feel them now :)

Lovetoclimb
05-01-2018, 07:47 PM
Specialized Roubaix 30/32 2Bliss

echelon_john
05-01-2018, 07:52 PM
That test was wrong. ; )

Amazing tires.

Dunno if they're faster, but they're probably the most comfortable, confident tire I've ever ridden.

The cost of the Bon Jons left me slightly disappointed when I saw this test - https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/tour-reviews/compass-bon-jon-pass-2018

yinzerniner
05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
I'm currently running a 28mm pro one on 23mm inner / 32mm outer rims so they inflate to roughly 31-32mm or so at 50-55psi. Honestly they are incredible. In terms of comfort on tarmac, there's no difference between them and the 40mm Maxxis Ramblers at 40psi, they just roll a lot faster.

If you're intending on going a bit off-path then the Pro Ones or other road race tires with limited tread aren't what you should be using. Maybe something like the 38mm tubeless ready Gravelking (non-SK) which is only about 40g heavier than a 28mm Pro One, and will probably size around 36-38mm on your rims at 40-50psi. Or a Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 or 35 which will plump up nicely.

spinarelli
05-01-2018, 08:30 PM
There was a thread recently discussing that test result. Worth a read. Jan H replied and had some good points.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=220053 (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=220053&highlight=Jan+heine)

staggerwing
05-01-2018, 08:46 PM
I know the Compass tires get a lot of love, but if you can handle a true 35mm, and are OK spending a little less, I'm going to suggest Vittoria Voyager Hyper.

It used to be called a Randonneur Hyper, but it is not a touring tire. Quite thin and lively.

Note: The "Hyper" part of the name is important, as they make other tires with somewhat similar names.

bigbill
05-01-2018, 08:47 PM
I'm running Maxxis ReFuse in 32mm on a set of Boyd Altamont disc wheels. I have them at 60#. They roll well on when I use them for road riding on my gravel bike. A little sluggish compared to my road bikes with 25's (tubeless as well) but they're bigger and heavier. Once they're up to speed, it's all good. I haven't taken them on any significant off roading.

VTR1000SP2
05-01-2018, 08:53 PM
I know the Compass tires get a lot of love, but if you can handle a true 35mm, and are OK spending a little less, I'm going to suggest Vittoria Voyager Hyper.

It used to be called a Randonneur Hyper, but it is not a touring tire. Quite thin and lively.

I actually ran this tire for a bit on a bike last year and they were light and fast but I wasn't a fan of the reflective sidewall and had little success running them tubeless (they aren't by design).

VTR1000SP2
05-01-2018, 09:02 PM
I'm currently running a 28mm pro one on 23mm inner / 32mm outer rims so they inflate to roughly 31-32mm or so at 50-55psi. Honestly they are incredible. In terms of comfort on tarmac, there's no difference between them and the 40mm Maxxis Ramblers at 40psi, they just roll a lot faster.

If you're intending on going a bit off-path then the Pro Ones or other road race tires with limited tread aren't what you should be using. Maybe something like the 38mm tubeless ready Gravelking (non-SK) which is only about 40g heavier than a 28mm Pro One, and will probably size around 36-38mm on your rims at 40-50psi. Or a Schwalbe G-One Speed 30 or 35 which will plump up nicely.

May have to give the 32mm GravelKing slicks a try as it seems aside from the Compass options, nothing really stands apart as a wide (32-35), light (<320gr), tubeless ready tire. Perhaps the market is headed in this direction but just isn't there yet.

djg21
05-01-2018, 09:03 PM
I'm currently running 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones on a set of wheels. At 60psi they measure 30mm. Thinking of trying out a 32mm which I imagine will inflate closer to 35mm or 38mm depending on the tire.

Imagine a 32mm tubeless version of the GP4000SII. IIRC, these are some 32mm options that come to mind: GravelKing, Re-Fuse, G-One Speed, Strada LGG but all these seem like they'd be great gravel tires, not quite what I'm after.

What I'm hoping for is a fast rolling, lightweight, tubeless compatible, black sidewall tire that can handle road and dirt duty. Does such a tire exist?

I spoke with the Continental crew at NAHBS, and was told that Conti is working on tubeless.

I just bought a set of Vittoria Terrano Wet tubeless cross tires that are 40c.
https://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-monday-vittoria-terreno-wet-cyclocross-tire-rolls-fast-digs-deep. After I struggled to mount and inflate them, I learned that they wouldn’t fit on my CX bike. Unfortunately, I injected sealant and the tires can’t be returned.

If anyone wants these, $35/ea. Unused, but had some sealant in them. They look to be nice all-around tires for a gravel-grinder bike. Drop me a PM

weisan
05-01-2018, 09:26 PM

Specialized Roubaix 30/32 2Bliss

Those would be my recommendations as well.

RobJ
05-01-2018, 09:29 PM
I spoke with the Continental crew at NAHBS, and was told that Conti is working on tubeless.

I just bought a set of Vittoria Terrano Wet tubeless cross tires that are 40c.
https://www.cxmagazine.com/mechanical-monday-vittoria-terreno-wet-cyclocross-tire-rolls-fast-digs-deep. After I struggled to mount and inflate them, I learned that they wouldn’t fit on my CX bike. Unfortunately, I injected sealant and the tires can’t be returned.

If anyone wants these, $35/ea. Unused, but had some sealant in them. They look to be nice all-around tires for a gravel-grinder bike. Drop me a PM

Another lesser followed one that has a good reviews is the Hutchinson Sector 32. Just picked up a set to try out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

doomridesout
05-01-2018, 10:39 PM
Not sure what it was called, but Panaracer was making a tubeless 32c called, I think, the Race Evo Gravel or something like that. Might have been limited edition, Excel doesn't have it any more. I saw some in the classifieds a bit back but they're probably gone. The same casing as their Race A tubeless tires but bigger. I liked, but did not love the non-tubeless Race A in 25.

The Compass option is the jam but obviously the size you're after does not exist in tubeless. Consider Compass if you're willing to just spend big bucks on tires even if you're hung up on tubeless. I just got a set of the Stampede Pass 32cs tubed and they ride really great. If Compass made the 32 and 28cs tubeless they would rule this segment.

The Gravelking is great in all sizes but if you want fast and tubeless this might not do the trick. They're fast for a tough tire but you can tell they eat some RR when you try to go fast in them.

It occurs to me that I've suggested nothing that isn't made by Panaracer. They're on top of their game right now. I guess IRC makes a tubeless 28 that's supposed to be good?

staggerwing
05-02-2018, 07:32 AM
I actually ran this tire for a bit on a bike last year and they were light and fast but I wasn't a fan of the reflective sidewall and had little success running them tubeless (they aren't by design).

Actually liked the reflective sidewall, as it the Voyager Hyper was primarily a commuter tire for me.

No matter though, as your inquiry set me on a quest to purchase another pair, after not falling in love with Schwalbe Kojaks, and it appears that Vittoria not longer makes the Hyper, and I can find a similar replacement. Everything else they make in a 35 is well over 500 grams, while the Hyper was right about 400 grams.

I've always used tire mass a rough analog for robustness of tire construction, and feel.

VTR1000SP2
05-02-2018, 07:37 AM
Actually liked the reflective sidewall, as it the Voyager Hyper was primarily a commuter tire for me.

No matter though, as your inquiry set me on a quest to purchase another pair, after not falling in love with Schwalbe Kojaks, and it appears that Vittoria not longer makes the Hyper, and I can find a similar replacement. Everything else they make in a 35 is well over 500 grams, while the Hyper was right about 400 grams.

I've always used tire mass a rough analog for robustness of tire construction, and feel.

I got my set of Voyagers here and they appear to have some left:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

staggerwing
05-02-2018, 08:51 AM
I got my set of Voyagers here and they appear to have some left:
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

Brilliant, thanks. Purchased 4.

Nice price too, even with shipping. Just hope they come through OK.