PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Wahoo TICKR

pncguy
05-01-2018, 04:04 PM
I've been having trouble with my Wahoo TICKR heart rate monitor in that often times the HR freezes for tens of seconds to minutes even when I know my rate is changing drastically. Further, on my last ride I had it fall from about 130 to 57 (!) and then jump back to what I estimated was my actual rate of about 150.

I've done all the things Wahoo suggested like changing the battery, resetting the monitor by turning the battery upside down for a moment, and washing the strap. The monitor seems to work again for a ride or two, but then goes flaky again. (For what is it worth, I'm using it with a Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt.)

Does anyone have a recommendation that is better than Wahoo? I want to have confidence in my monitor because I want to avoid going too hard and risking atrial flutter again.

I'd love to hear any suggestions you have.

cgolvin
05-01-2018, 04:20 PM
I don't have a suggestion for an alternative, but I've owned a number of Wahoo products and they've been reliably excellent about replacing units that simply don't work provided I have first attempted their suggested fixes. My BlueHR has worked reliably for more than 3 years.

My suggestion is that you go back to customer support, tell them you've taken their advice but the unit appears defective and you'd like them to replace it. I'm guessing they'll do the right thing.

ergott
05-01-2018, 04:21 PM
How old?

I have one that I just replaced the battery on and it's been really reliable.

DreamInColor
05-01-2018, 06:03 PM
I'm on my third battery with mineā€”no issues.

I've had mixed results with the same batteries in the past using other devices. I purchased some online (cheap) ones that had very short lives and were erratic. I thought I had a faulty guitar tuner once, but it turned out the batteries were the culprit. Are you using batteries from the same package? Perhaps the batteries are faulty?

R3awak3n
05-01-2018, 06:17 PM
mine went crazy one day and thought was toast but then did the turn battery trick and its been ok since then.

I would message wahoo, they were really helpful

dem
05-01-2018, 09:16 PM
I do some playing with HRV, and the Polar straps are the benchmark. They do Bluetooth too which is more stable than ANT.

I'd say if accuracy matters, go with the Polar.