PDA

View Full Version : Which steel road bike to keep?

C40_guy
05-01-2018, 04:01 PM
I'm thinning the herd and am thinking of letting go one of my two steel road bikes.

The first is a 1989 Colnago Spiral Conic SLX. My first Colnago, it's been repainted and currently is set up with Campy Record 10 compact, and a Force carbon fork. I have some miles on this bike and made some memories with it. It was my go to bike until I found a C40...that in turn was eventually replaced by a C50, my current daily driver.

The second is a 1994 Colnago Master Olympic. My most recent purchase, I haven't built it yet. Classic and clean Colnago paint job, I would set it up with Campy Record 10 compact and either a Force carbon fork or a Precisa chrome.

The Master Olympic was my grail for a while. So... build it, keep it and sell the Spiral Conic? Or stick with an old friend? Right now I'm leaning toward the Master Olympic as it's original and more uniquely Colnago with the shaped tubes.

Other bikes in the stable include: Colnago Master CX, Hot Tubes CX, Colnago Prestige CX, LightSpeed Blue Mountain.

The Master CX is a unicorn...while Colnago didn't officially sell steel CX bikes, he built a few for pro racers, starting in the '70s. That one's a keeper!

Other bikes probably going include: Colnago Dream, Colnago Dream CX.

Thanks!

cadence90
05-01-2018, 04:04 PM
How can you decide if you haven't even built up/ridden the Master Olympic yet?

:confused:

C40_guy
05-01-2018, 04:56 PM
How can you decide if you haven't even built up/ridden the Master Olympic yet?

:confused:

There is wisdom in your question. :)

Hindmost
05-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Can't offer an opinion without pictures.