PDA

View Full Version : Clear glasses

icepick_trotsky
05-01-2018, 02:10 PM
Do you wear glasses with clear lenses when riding at night? Lately the wind has really been bugging me when not wearing sunglasses.

parris
05-01-2018, 02:18 PM
I ride in rx lenses in my Flakjackets which do a decent job of keeping wind, bugs, etc out of my eyes. For night and rain I use the Persimmon lens.

I tend to ride where there's street lights and such so I haven't had to deal with total dark conditions which might make it so I would go with a clear or very pale yellow.

Mark McM
05-01-2018, 02:18 PM
I wear glasses with clear lenses almost all the time. My eyes are very sensitive to wind, particularly cold wind, so I always ride with eyewear of one kind or another. Here in New England, the sun isn't nearly as intense as in more southern climes, so I don't need to block much sunlight. In addition, since I use prescription lenses and need them to see even when not riding, I can't really take my glasses off during those times I might need to go indoors, so clear lenses work better on those occasions.

stev0
05-01-2018, 02:19 PM
yes. and in foul weather as well!

mktng
05-01-2018, 02:21 PM
I bought myself a pair of jawbreakers with their photochromic lens.
Works really well for all conditions. Im sure other brands offer the same sort of lens. I just stuck with Oakleys because i like their product.

Riding at night is the worst without glasses. Bugs and everything. yuck

Seamus
05-01-2018, 02:23 PM
I made the jump to photochromatic lenses. I often get out later in the afternoon and sometimes will still be out at night and found it annoying to stow glasses via my helmet, as well as took enough gnats/bugs in my eyes in the summer months to want to keep my eyes protected. It's worked well for me; I like the simplicity of never having to think about the "right" lens for the conditions.

kmac
05-01-2018, 02:31 PM
another flakjacket+clear lens user here. i had tried photochromic lenses for a while, but too often found myself desperately trying to rip them from my face when entering a dark tunnel (i hadn't realized how many tunnels i regularly ride through until then).

i've found that, combined with a cycling cap under my helmet, i can keep both the wind and sun out of my eyes, and not have to worry about the current/changing lighting conditions -- which is ideal because i almost exclusively ride at the edges of the day. :cool:

NHAero
05-01-2018, 03:06 PM
Yes, just a pair of sunglasses with a clear lens option - I think they are Optic Nerve

sparky33
05-01-2018, 03:33 PM
My riding glasses (https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/wrap/kanaio-coast) have prescription transition lenses. dark in the sun, clear in low light... the tint adjusts as lighting changes. Works perfectly for outdoor sports, especially since I can't do contact lenses or deal with carrying multiple glasses on rides with big changes in light conditions.

RobJ
05-01-2018, 03:40 PM
Definitely - custom pair of prescription Flak Jackets with lenses that transition from clear to about 3/4 darkness. I need them to see near/far but also for the wind and bug protection.

Before these I used the Rudy Raydon's with removable lenses and had the full tinted, yellow and clear. Those worked great for all conditions and they even have the same lenses with the lower "reader" portion should you need that.

jlwdm
05-01-2018, 03:45 PM
I wear clear or amber (if amber are already in my frames) at night.

Jeff

shoota
05-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Heck yes.

David Tollefson
05-01-2018, 04:17 PM
For clear lens options I will often use safety glasses available at the local Home Depot.

rkhatibi
05-01-2018, 04:42 PM
After motorcycles I feel naked without eye protection. Clear lenses at night.

Bradford
05-01-2018, 05:00 PM
I wear clear lenses in the dark but I'm thinking about getting photochromic lenses. Much of my dark riding is the beginning of my commute or a 6 am weekend ride, which often ends up in sunlight. I usually have a set of regular glasses with me, but rarely feel like stopping to change them and just power through squinting.

d_douglas
05-01-2018, 05:05 PM
Good question - I am in need of photochomatic glasses myself. I have been using $10 safety glasses since losing some Smiths a few years ago and they are not cutting it. Like I needed to say that?

Plum Hill
05-01-2018, 05:24 PM
I used yellow lenses when riding at night. The lenses seemed to enhance my vision. Mine were safety glasses (Uvex?) courtesy of a contractor I worked for.

05-01-2018, 05:38 PM
I've always used Oakley prescription lenses in their persimmon color when I was riding in very overcast weather, rain, or going into sunset or sunrise. A warm and moderately light color like that doesn't impair your vision significantly under low-light conditions.

My original persimmon glasses were single vision anyway (for everything else I wear progressives), and I found there are some fairly inexpensive but extremely nice industrial safety glasses made in a similar orangish yellow. These aren't the $6 glasses but more like $65, but they are styled and fit just like high end Oakleys, and for the price they come in fixed diopter corrections. You don't get cylindrical correction and the like, but in high-curvature lenses used for sports anyway and where you aren't looking straight through the lenses but up at an angle, they do really well.

I haven't found transition lenses to work well. If you're riding in and out of shadows or if your head is simply facing down as you ride hard, transition lenses don't darken properly. I used to ride very intense shades and while they looked cool (at the time), they simply weren't functional in all the riding I did. I tried transition lenses in both darker overcast weather (like the PNW) and in bright glaring sun (like in Texas) and found neither condition was served well by them. I don't think cycling, where we tend to be looking down more than up, needs that dark a lens even if your eyes are sensitive.

And I'd recommend against polaroid and progressives. Polaroids prevent you from seeing ice or other slippery conditions on the road, and progressives give you a near-focus at the bottom of your lens, but you actually want to be using that part of your lens to see the road right in front of you. It isn't that hard to read your computer with single-focus lenses but it's hard to see glass or cracks on the road if you're in aggressive progressives.

dbnm
05-01-2018, 05:46 PM
Oakley Photochromic are really good

cetuximab
05-02-2018, 03:40 AM
I found some shooting glasses. They are fog and scratch resistant. I used them when we mountain bike before work (starting around 5a). I believe eye protection is important. A tree branch or gravel to the eye is too easy to protect against.

I have photochromic lens that i use for commuting. Dark on the way to work. They are close to or less than 10% reduction of light. And darken nicely for the ride home. I bike home facing the setting sun. The tint it makes much nicer.

m_sasso
05-02-2018, 04:12 AM
I wear eye protection when ever I am on the bike, these 3M Holmes Workware more then my fancy photochromatic Salice's, $16.00 from Home Depot. A pair will generally last at least a season until I misplace them, then time for an inexpensive new pair.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/45b8c7c5-2a1f-4e95-9af5-a51601bd5847/svn/3m-safety-glasses-sunglasses-90201-8v025h-64_1000.jpg

chiasticon
05-02-2018, 08:03 AM
generally yes, but mainly if I know that it'll be a mainly dark ride. so if I set out earlier and it was super sunny, then it's just glasses in the helmet once darkness sets in. but usually in such cases, I'm just cruising home from a group ride at an easy-ish pace, so not a ton of wind to worry about.

veggieburger
05-02-2018, 08:07 AM
I like yellow lenses...everything is much brighter at dusk/night.

05-02-2018, 10:54 AM
I found some shooting glasses. They are fog and scratch resistant. I used them when we mountain bike before work (starting around 5a). I believe eye protection is important. A tree branch or gravel to the eye is too easy to protect against.

I have photochromic lens that i use for commuting. Dark on the way to work. They are close to or less than 10% reduction of light. And darken nicely for the ride home. I bike home facing the setting sun. The tint it makes much nicer.

Yes. Yellow shooting glasses (I had a pair from Oakley at one point) are possibly the best out there for cycling. I'd forgotten about them. The Rayban Aviator design don't work well for cycling but the plastic framed ones are good. Compared to some of the safety glasses, though, I haven't seen shooting glasses in stock diopter corrections -- only prescription lenses. Just mentioning that because stock diopter corrections make for inexpensive but superb quality glasses (and I mention that because I've lost at least a couple pairs to damage during crashes in racing).

Mark McM
05-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Compared to some of the safety glasses, though, I haven't seen shooting glasses in stock diopter corrections -- only prescription lenses.

Is there much call for stock diopter correction in shooting glasses? Most stock diopter correction lenses are near vision (positive diopter), which generally does not require as precise a match to the wearer. I would think that shooting glasses are more often used for far vision (because targets are placed at some distance), which often requires both (minus) spherical diopter correction and cylindrical diopter correction (near sighted people often suffer from some degree of astigmatism as well). So it is more likely that corrective lenses for shooting glasses would need to be made to a specific prescription.

jmoore
05-02-2018, 04:49 PM
My original persimmon glasses were single vision anyway (for everything else I wear progressives), and I found there are some fairly inexpensive but extremely nice industrial safety glasses made in a similar orangish yellow. These aren't the $6 glasses but more like $65, but they are styled and fit just like high end Oakleys, and for the price they come in fixed diopter corrections. You don't get cylindrical correction and the like, but in high-curvature lenses used for sports anyway and where you aren't looking straight through the lenses but up at an angle, they do really well.

link?

xnetter
05-02-2018, 11:43 PM
I recently started wearing a clear pair of Head squash glasses to protect against pollen and bugs on country rides. Cost about $30, they are fine. I can't see as well as when I am wearing my (mild) perscription glasses but the better coverage wins in this case. I'm too cheap to buy expensive perscription sports eyewear as I know I'll either scratch them, lose them, or scratch them and then lose them.

KJ

azrider
05-02-2018, 11:50 PM
I used yellow lenses when riding at night. The lenses seemed to enhance my vision. Mine were safety glasses (Uvex?) courtesy of a contractor I worked for.

I like yellow lenses...everything is much brighter at dusk/night.

Yes. Yellow shooting glasses (I had a pair from Oakley at one point) are possibly the best out there for cycling.

I too am in the yellow camp. Got some cheapies from the dreaded big "P" bike shop years ago

enr1co
05-03-2018, 12:12 AM
Have been using Oakley persimmon lenses for all around conditions for years.