PDA

View Full Version : Yet another tire question/thread

Bud
10-16-2006, 10:34 PM
So I've done some research and some forum searching, but I need some suggestions for tires that would fit the following criteria:

-~30-32 width
-Good for commuting on pavement and packed dirt/gravel paths (with a few rocks). I'd like to run lower pressure. . .
-Decent in the wet and snow/slush (nothing too deep- don't ride when it's that bad).
-Cheap

These are for my current commutocross build project. I'd like to save my good road bike for the nice and dry days. What are your suggestions?

Ken Robb
10-16-2006, 10:49 PM
Paselas in 32,35,or 37 depending on available clearance.

dbrk
10-16-2006, 11:17 PM
Avocet DuraPlus 32c is a truly great tire, though a bit overbuilt imhoyoatmoclko. Rivendell will soon (cross fingers) have a 33c version of the Roly Poly: using the same tread and thread as the RP, not the Ruffy Tuffy.
Otherwise, what Ken said: the "new" Paselas are waaaay better than the older ones that had the too high middles...and having fixed that (some years back now), these are great tires and easy to recommend. There should soon be a new 700c tire from Gran Bois in a larger size, like 33mm if I recall, keep an eye out on Jan's site (http://vintagebicyclepress.com/). I've been talking to Hiroshi Iimura of Jitensha, urging him to look in Japan for exactly the sort of tire I think you're talking about. (But I'm very, very hopeful for the new Rivendell offering...soon!)

I'm keen on trying the new offerings from Soma. I've just ordered some 26c to see if they are really 26 or smaller than a Michelin ProRace 25 (a great, great tire). And I'd love to try the 28c IRC tire 'cause they make nice ones.

dbrk

93legendti
10-16-2006, 11:27 PM
So I've done some research and some forum searching, but I need some suggestions for tires that would fit the following criteria:

-~30-32 width
-Good for commuting on pavement and packed dirt/gravel paths (with a few rocks). I'd like to run lower pressure. . .
-Decent in the wet and snow/slush (nothing too deep- don't ride when it's that bad).
-Cheap

These are for my current commutocross build project. I'd like to save my good road bike for the nice and dry days. What are your suggestions?

The lbs had 3 Conti Top Touring tres in 32c that I snagged. They ride very nicely...not sure about wet and snow/slush riding, but they were nice on dirt roads after a rainy day.

rpm
10-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Keep an eye out for the new Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. It will be made with vectran, the wonder material that's both extremely puncture resistant and highly flexible. I've had a flat-free, smooth rolling season on my Conti 4000 25cs made with vectran.

http://www.schwalbetires.com/

and check out the puncture demo on the Schwalbe Ultremo:

http://contagion.dayport.com/viewer/viewerpage.php?Art_ID=352&PreloadContract_DefID=1&Contract_DefID=2&tf=contagionviewer.tpl&Category_ID=3

sg8357
10-17-2006, 11:31 PM
According to the latest (Vintage) Bicycle Quarterly, the Pasela 35 tested well.
Current production 35s are really 35mm. I'm riding the 32s now, very nice. Play with the tire pressure, at 90 they were unimpressive, at 80 excellent.

I'm with DBRK on the Avocet 32s, not as good as I would have thought,
they have kind of clunky casings. Strangely the Avocet Cross II have nicer casings and are available as folders, unlike the 32s.

Scott G.