PDA

View Full Version : Interesting eBay "Murray" bike

dbrk
04-26-2004, 06:40 AM
Have a look here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22681&item=3674090795&rd=1
(Sorry I don't know how to compress the URLs).

This is a 53cm Serotta-made bike, according to the seller. The seat stay caps and fork crown give it a nice flair and I'm especially fond of white bikes (though not to everyone's tastes, of course). I wish we could still get those nearly flat crowns for the CSi. Darn thing looks brand new.

dbrk

Kevin
04-26-2004, 06:45 AM
It looks like the day it left the factory. I just wish it was larger.

Kevin

gt6267a
04-26-2004, 07:50 AM
it looks nice. and 53 x 53 is just the right size. too bad i am unemployed or i would be bidding on this thing. if i remember properly, this is dnovo's size, so we might get to see pictures of this thing built up anyway!

the seat clamp cluster has me intrigued. every serotta i have seen has the fast-back setup(to ensure i am using the right terminology, i am thinking this is where the seat stays attach directly to the seat tube and NOT to the sides of the lug).

as the frame is made for the team, i suspect that are able to dictate the design, but it has me wondering. was this the standard for serotta in 1984?

David Kirk
04-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Wow,

Who knows what that thing really is. The paint and decals are all wrong. It's got a Columbus Max Tubing decal in the wrong place and wrong orientation ( and it's definately not max tubing). The originals never had world champ stripes. It's got head tube cable guides...........what's up with that ?

I would strongly advice a good converstation with the seller before heading in this direction. See if you can get the serial number.

Dave

Redturbo
04-26-2004, 10:20 AM
This is the second time in the last 2 years that I've seen this bike on ebay. I also remember it being discussed on the old forum and could not be verified.

turbo

CarbonTi
04-26-2004, 08:41 PM
I have one of the Serotta 7-11 Murray team issue bikes from the same era. This bike seems like it could be legit as some of the detail bits on it match what my frame was built with. Specifically, the MURRAY seat stay caps, seat lug/binder and the head tube lugs. The fork crown and the non-MURRAY rear brake bridge don't match mine but these frames were built a few years apart (?).

Whoever did the repaint IMO botched it - the MURRAY typeface is all wrong and I doubt that the frame has the right to emblazon the rainbow stripes. Looks like a Campy shield logo on the head tube - good grief. Painter took a nice frame and plain-janed it. The original 7-11 Murrays were anything but plain.

Bruce K
04-26-2004, 08:57 PM
There appears to be another 53X53 CSI also on ebay. This one looks more legit.

53X53 is my size, but the componentry on this other one is very odd. XTR triple cranks and derailleurs and some other things I could live without.

It is also a 1" threaded fork with a REALLY long vetical post and short stem length.

One of these days I'll add a steel "horse" to the stable.

BK

pale scotsman
04-26-2004, 09:13 PM
Did Serotta use Cinelli bottom bracket shells in '84?

MartyE
04-27-2004, 07:16 AM
I sent an e-mail to the seller requesting pictures of the brake
bridge, and asked about the head tube cable guides (heads on?).
I seem to recall seeing a bike decaled "CILO" for sale on e-bay
by this seller, claimed to have been brazed by A. Eisentraut.
I do believe that early Serotta bikes did use Cinelli BB shell.
I'll post if/when I get answer from seller.

Marty