PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Schwinn Paramount Ti ( Serotta)

BryonB
04-29-2018, 10:29 PM
What do you think this might be worth? Full 9spd Dura Ace Mavic Heliums

Looks real clean. Original owner.

Thanks

Drmojo
04-29-2018, 10:52 PM
here I might pay $750
Ebay might fetch a grand or $1200
ii is rare and very clean
maybe a scooch more

jumphigher
04-30-2018, 06:01 AM
I dont have an estimate of worth but the smaller frame size may bring in less than a larger one. Cool bike though, pretty rare and unique, imo.

Hilltopperny
04-30-2018, 07:49 AM
The older build isn't worth much, but for reference I sold the same bike with the same group for $1,000 shipped about two years ago. It is a Serotta made titanium bike for crying out loud. Is that a 54cm? That's a great bike imo.

alancw3
04-30-2018, 08:13 AM
i think that a prior poster got it right. i would think you are doing well to get $1000. the only caveat would be if you could find a diehard schwinn collector who wanted for his collection. then slightly more. anyway good luck with your sale.

cmg
04-30-2018, 08:30 AM
do a buy it now for $1200 or best offer on eBay and see if it sells.

texbike
04-30-2018, 11:56 AM
One of our local Paceliners has one and it's a beautiful and nice-riding bike.

However, I think that it would struggle to bring more than $1K at this point. The frameset is probably $500, the 7700 group $300 (maybe...), and the Heliums perhaps $100. I can't imagine that there's much value in the bars/stem/seatpost or seat.

Texbike

mhespenheide
04-30-2018, 12:14 PM
It's a beautiful bike, and I'm sure it rides very nicely.

That said, it's not what's popular right now. Prices on eBay for "nice metal 9-speed bikes" have been trending downwards for years (aside from Eroica-style candidates, and -- even then -- only a couple of specific named builders). Even amongst Paceliners, there seems to have been an acknowledgement that modern carbon is pretty fabulous, and the trend toward wider tires has depressed interest in road bikes/frames from the late 80's to the 00's. Even when a new-ish Parlee or Crumpton shows up, the second or third question asked is "what tires does it fit"? And (at least inside Paceline) I'm seeing more long-term collectors start to downsize and move towards N-1 rather than N+1.

Unless you can find a Schwinn collector in that size, I'd be surprised if you can get more than $1000. $800 would not surprise me.

BryonB
04-30-2018, 01:34 PM
The older build isn't worth much, but for reference I sold the same bike with the same group for $1,000 shipped about two years ago. It is a Serotta made titanium bike for crying out loud. Is that a 54cm? That's a great bike imo.

Not selling just looking.....Yes a 54cm and he's asking $1950 sounds like he is way to high.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

duff_duffy
04-30-2018, 03:20 PM
I’d vote for 850 to 1100 range if not in hurry to sell. May take a while to sell.

josephr
05-01-2018, 06:51 PM
One of our local Paceliners has one and it's a beautiful and nice-riding bike.

However, I think that it would struggle to bring more than $1K at this point. The frameset is probably $500, the 7700 group $300 (maybe...), and the Heliums perhaps $100. I can't imagine that there's much value in the bars/stem/seatpost or seat.

Texbike

That'd be Seramount and his isn't for sale. I have a candy yellow one in size 55 that was just a little too small for me. I've posted for sale here with nary a nibble. Also posted it to eBay (multiple relistings ) and once got a best offer of $700, but the guy had a funky shipping request and was being rude, so I nixed the deal and enjoy looking at it. The red and blue versions tend to sell quicker. From what I can tell from talking to other owners, riding them either love/hate as the Paramount race geo isn't for everyone and the rear triangle isn't as forgiving as other Ti bikes. I wish mine fit me better and could spend more time on it for a better 1st person review.

Seramount
05-01-2018, 08:42 PM
as others noted, I own a Ti Paramount.

however, it's not a production model (has a Serotta s/n, not a Schwinn one) and is reportedly the prototype for the breed, so it has a 'historical' significance.

I really like the bike and its interesting backstory, so, I doubt I'll ever sell it.

all things considered, really can't see a production bike with older components fetching almost $2K.

I'd trust Texbike's estimate, he's usually pretty accurate on market values.

Kontact
05-01-2018, 08:48 PM
I am the happy second owner of a number of great 1" head tube Ti bikes, and it just amazes me how little they are valued in the used market, while new Ti frames of similar construction are well over $3000.

93KgBike
05-02-2018, 09:40 AM
+1, Kontact

"Everybody's talking about the new sound; funny, but it's still rock and roll to me." - Billy Joel, 1980

Meisen
05-03-2018, 08:43 AM
I think a pretty good deal for anything below $1k but for a very particular buyer...makes it either a hard sell or a sell it for less than it’s worth to move it quickly. Price it at $650 and it will sell all day but is definitely less than it’s true worth.

Force
05-03-2018, 12:14 PM
For what it is worth, I sold my blue frame and fork here for $650 shipped a few years ago.

Bicyclepair
05-04-2018, 03:27 PM
My 2cents: if you've ever ridden one....you would buy every one you could find for $1,000.00! One of the nicest riding bike I ever built and wished I never sold mine years ago. HUGE value at a grand!