PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to visit the Orbea Factory?

Fishbike
04-29-2018, 12:10 PM
I am going to be in Basque Country in Spain in a few weeks. I have always had a thing for Orbea bikes and the company’s history. (Although my Orca is a bit of a filling rattler). Is it possible to visit the factory? Any cool museum or company store?

holliscx
04-29-2018, 12:24 PM
Rouleur did a nice feature on Orbea a few years back. Send them an email sharing that you ride an Orca and I'm sure they will give you a tour.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it's introverted and not quite what you expect. So lower your expectations and just see what happens.

Be sure to look for a Pintxo Indurain in San Sebastian, 5 guindilla peppers that the Basques go crazy for; one for each Tour win.

Black Dog
04-29-2018, 04:07 PM
Rouleur did a nice feature on Orbea a few years back. Send them an email sharing that you ride an Orca and I'm sure they will give you a tour.

I wouldn't be surprised though if it's introverted and not quite what you expect. So lower your expectations and just see what happens.

Be sure to look for a Pintxo Indurain in San Sebastian, 5 guindilla peppers that the Basques go crazy for; one for each Tour win.

Can you tell me what this means? I am intrigued but have no idea what you are saying.

cadence90
04-29-2018, 05:00 PM
Can you tell me what this means? I am intrigued but have no idea what you are saying.

https://pinchosbergara.es/imagenes/visitas05.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/474x/90/e0/19/90e019645f0d15ab7c75271566e7c791.jpg

What holliscx wrote; a pincho/pintxo is a northern Spanish tapa, this one in honor of Big Mig:
Tuna, anchovy, 5 peppers, onion, green olive, olive oil...very tasty stuff.

ultraman6970
04-29-2018, 10:01 PM
I believe all the frame production is not local at all since years ago.

Avispa
04-30-2018, 07:22 AM
Drop them a note and see what they say:
https://www.orbea.com/es-es/contacto/

In the Golden Days of small factory bike manufacturing, one could just walk into any factory and you would be greeted with a smile and they would be pleased to give you brief tour because they knew you could become a possible customer. I think some companies, such as De Rosa near Milan, still allow one to visit without previous arrangements.

I am also aware some bike shops will talk to their distributors and help you out in this regard.

The area of Spain where Orbea is located is very nice, so make sure you do take a couple of days and look around.

Good luck!

jemoryl
04-30-2018, 08:49 AM
I believe all the frame production is not local at all since years ago.

Some of their frames sport a 'Made in Spain' label, but that might just mean finished there. IIRC, they built a factory in Portugal, near Aveiro, not sure what level of frame they make there.

cadence90
04-30-2018, 06:12 PM
The area of Spain where Orbea is located is very nice, so make sure you do take a couple of days and look around.
Great landscapes; San Sebastian is wonderful; you can visit the actual village of Guernica; Guggenheim Museum Bilbao (definitely worth a visit imo); Burgos is amazing; love that area.

Some of their frames sport a 'Made in Spain' label, but that might just mean finished there. IIRC, they built a factory in Portugal, near Aveiro, not sure what level of frame they make there.
From what I gather, Orbea produce in Spain, Portugal, and Asia.