PDA

View Full Version : Mid reach Campy brakes?

Lewis Moon
04-28-2018, 04:53 PM
Any campy brakes that have a longer reach?

EricEstlund
04-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Old Athena had a mid reach option. But in terms of modern dual pivot, no- most folks mix in either Shimano, TRP, VO, etc.

happycampyer
04-28-2018, 05:00 PM
Old Athena had a mid reach option. But in terms of modern dual pivot, no- most folks mix in either Shimano, TRP, VO, etc.

One advantage of using these ^ brakes is that you get a release at the hood and at the caliper, which helps with clearance when removing and putting on a wheel.

sjbraun
04-28-2018, 06:59 PM
I wanted more clearance than I was getting with
Record brakes. I found some Dura Ace 7800 brakes. The look classy, have the room I needed and stop better than the Campy brakes I used previously.

EricEstlund
04-28-2018, 07:16 PM
DA brakes have more arch room (at the top of the brake, specifically when closed), but are the same reach (mounting nut to bottom of the pad slot) as Campy. Longer reach brakes run longer arms, and may or may not have more volume up under the arch. In most cases, they cannot be interchanged as the mounting locations are fixed on the frame and fork. Typical "short reach" (current standard) brakes tend to have 39-49mm or reach, with "mid reach" being 47-57mm typically. Even on frames where they can be exchanged (47-49mm of reach), you may gain a volume change (space between the arms or under the arch), but will not make any gains in reach as the rim and brake locations are fixed by the bike design.

colker
04-28-2018, 07:21 PM
DA brakes have more arch room (at the top of the brake, specifically when closed), but are the same reach (mounting nut to bottom of the pad slot) as Campy. Longer reach brakes run longer arms, and may or may not have more volume up under the arch. In most cases, they cannot be interchanged as the mounting locations are fixed on the frame and fork. Typical "short reach" (current standard) brakes tend to have 39-49mm or reach, with "mid reach" being 47-57mm typically. Even on frames where they can be exchanged (47-49mm of reach), you may gain a volume change (space between the arms or under the arch), but will not make any gains in reach as the rim and brake locations are fixed by the bike design.

Most of the trouble i find is frames w/ seatstay bridges that are too low making impossible for 28 tire to roll. Brakes are usually fine.

thirdgenbird
04-28-2018, 09:49 PM

How long? The first-gen veloce/centaur 10 calipers have a bit more reach than chorus and record brakes.

I built up an older frame for my wife and her chorus calipers wouldn’t reach. Centaur did the trick. The bike clears 28s with ease. I’m guessing 32s would clear with exception of the chainstays.

I blame frame builders for minimal room. A record 10 brakeset easily clears a 30mm cross tire if the mounting hole is placed correctly. I would prove it but photobucket lost my albums... pads were at mid-slot and there was comfortable room.

Edit: I just checked my wife’s bike. Her 28s measure 27.3 actual (narrow rims) and an 8mm hex wrench will fit between the tire and “short reach” caliper at every point.

COYO1
04-29-2018, 08:04 AM

Here's an article that I have bookmarked for the same reasons re: my lack of reach with my record dual pivots. This summer I intend to swap them out for some mid reach on my commuter. Hope this helps.

http://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/

thirdgenbird
04-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Here's an article that I have bookmarked for the same reasons re: my lack of reach with my record dual pivots. This summer I intend to swap them out for some mid reach on my commuter. Hope this helps.

http://blackmtncycles.com/clearance-pt-ii-road-frames/

If your record brakes reach the brake tracks, swapping to mid-reach won’t help at best and won’t work at worst.

Reach is dictated by the distance from the brake track to mounting hole. This a fixed number on a given frame. Swapping brake length and keeping the same frame will only change where the pads pad falls in the slot. Clearance changes will be minimal if anything.

Lewis Moon
04-29-2018, 09:40 AM
If your record brakes reach the brake tracks, swapping to mid-reach won’t help at best and won’t work at worst.

Reach is dictated by the distance from the brake track to mounting hole. This a fixed number on a given frame. Swapping brake length and keeping the same frame will only change where the pads pad falls in the slot. Clearance changes will be minimal if anything.

I bought a Mr Pink. Frame clearance won't be a problem. Reaching the track will.

oliver1850
04-29-2018, 10:07 AM
I think you have to go all the way back to 80s Triomphe to get a mid reach Campagnolo caliper. Seems Campagnolo should just have Tektro make them some.

David Kirk
04-29-2018, 10:10 AM
A slight drift -

I think all three the major players are missing an oportunity with mid reach brakes. Campy by far misses it the most by offering nothing in this reach despite the fact that the market has shifted toward bigger tires.

Shimano offers a really nice mid reach brake but I feel that if they offered a Dura-Ace qulaity mid reach brake and just have brake reach be an option the same way crank length is optional.

With the wider tires being used in today's market they are leaving money on the table.

Word on the street is that Shimano will be addressing this soon but campy seems stuck in the 23 mm tire era.

dave

Mzilliox
04-29-2018, 10:30 AM
A slight drift -

I think all three the major players are missing an oportunity with mid reach brakes. Campy by far misses it the most by offering nothing in this reach despite the fact that the market has shifted toward bigger tires.

Shimano offers a really nice mid reach brake but I feel that if they offered a Dura-Ace qulaity mid reach brake and just have brake reach be an option the same way crank length is optional.

With the wider tires being used in today's market they are leaving money on the table.

Word on the street is that Shimano will be addressing this soon but campy seems stuck in the 23 mm tire era.

dave

Its bizarre for sure. the market has to see not everyone wants discs to solve the brake problem. i certainly dont. mainly because i work on my own bikes and i don't want to have to stock more bits and tools. Secondarily because my brakes already work great, i have absolutely no desire for better braking, its never once occurred to me on a ride.

so many people will say, oh, there are blah blah blah advatages to discs on gravel. but what about the disadvantages?

builders would know more, but discs add weight, both in the component, and in the need to bulk up a fork to counter the forces of disc brakes.

they add a weird/complex part to a simple machine when you are out in the middle of nowhere.

fluid bleeding sounds lame

they are ugly, and i dont ride ugly bikes. bikes should be beautiful.

what other disadvantages are there?

all this said im building a gravel bike with rim brakes very very soon. it will be very modern, post modern maybe, as it wont have discs which are current modern.

R3awak3n
04-29-2018, 10:53 AM
Campy and the other brands should make a mid reach caliper... however I know why they don't, just not enough demand.

That said, the VO gran cru brake is fantastic, its as good as any campy brake I have used, looks pretty good as well and works great with campy levers.

Big Dan
04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
I have Shimano mid reach brakes on a couple of bikes.
They work really well.
R600, R650 and even the lowly R451 works.
The TRP R957 and Tektros with better pads are also an option.
Here R650 with big tires maybe 33's or 35's.
Hampsten w/ steel fork.
https://i.imgur.com/gEJ4zJb.jpg

thirdgenbird
04-29-2018, 11:32 AM
I bought a Mr Pink. Frame clearance won't be a problem. Reaching the track will.

My comment was specific to the quote. He won’t gain clearance by swapping brakes and keeping frames.

Congrats on the Mr Pink!!! Forget Campagnolo brakes and get VO Grand Cru. You will appreciate the second quick release at the brake. I have to use both the release at the lever and at the brake to get 32mm tires out.

I also wouldn’t say Campagnolo is stuck in 23mm. I haven’t used them personally, but I hear the centaur to chorus calipers released several years back easily clear a 30mm. The new record and super record ones are advertised as offering similar room. Still not a mid-reach, but there is a big difference between 23 and 30mm. I would love to see a centaur/Potenza or unlabeled medium reach from Campag. They would just need to add a secondary release. The one at the lever doesn’t offer enough for a really fat tire.

R3awak3n
04-29-2018, 11:37 AM
My comment was specific to the quote. He won’t gain clearance by swapping brakes and keeping frames.

Congrats on the Mr Pink!!! Forget Campagnolo brakes and get VO Grand Cru. You will appreciate the second quick release at the brake. I have to use both the release at the lever and at the brake to get 32mm tires out.

thats a good point, I too had to do this in my strada bianca