PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using S-Works Aerofly Carbon Handlebars

dbnm
04-28-2018, 01:41 PM
I'm needing a little more of an upright position and was looking for some input on these bars

zzy
04-28-2018, 01:46 PM
Why not just get a stem with more rise?

Cicli
04-28-2018, 02:33 PM
I had an SWorks Hover. Hated it.

buddybikes
04-28-2018, 03:42 PM
For me any of the "aero bars" narrow flats on top, just dig into my hands. Very uncomfortable. You can also look at the expert model which is round alloy, also a cheaper way to try it before honking for the carbon.

04-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Haven't owned them but rode a bike with them after helping a friend assemble it.

The bars have a classic round shape on the ends, vertical so they don't splay outwards at the drops. Setting up levers is easy and if you ride on the outer parts of the bars, riding is fine. There's plenty of room in the center for adding a KEdge Garmin mount or light or whatever you might want there; it's about 2.5 inches wide.

If you ride with hands right at the inside by the stem, you're partially on the downward sloping part, which doesn't work.

Cable routing is internal and nicely done. The levers naturally fit a spot where you'd want them unless you want to ride levers really high for cross or some similar application.

I should clarify that the photo in this thread makes it look like there's a huge drop to the clamp. There isn't. At most there's an inch and it's just because the tops of the bars are aero/flat and the flat part is aligned with the top of the clamping area rather than the center or below There's perhaps 7-10 mm of rise from the clamp. So it won't buy you much extra height to change your position, if that's the point. Here's the Specialized photo of them so you can see better the real shape:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-aerofly-carbon-handlebar/p/131005

I like the bars. I'm considering them for my Crumpton. With Di2, they look really cool when configured because cabling is internal. Supposedly there's an aero advantage supposedly from having the bars slightly higher but aero benefits probably come just from internal cable routing and the aero shaping on the top of the bar.

Nice bars.

dbnm
04-28-2018, 03:51 PM
The bars I'm talking about are the Aerofly with the 25mm rise
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-works-aerofly-carbon-handlebars--25mm-rise/p/131077?color=220016-131077

Kirk007
04-28-2018, 05:42 PM
I've got a pair of Hover (15mm) rise and think they're fine. Other than the rise the rest of the shape is similar to the FSA compacts except they don't have the flare at the end of the drops. I'd say that if the shape works for you it's a fine way to get 25mm of rise - that's a lot to get out of a different stem.

ultraman6970
04-28-2018, 05:47 PM
Because with that shape the handlebar will catch lift and makes you fly :P

Why not just get a stem with more rise?