PDA

View Full Version : What canti's play nice with Rival levers?

GParkes
04-26-2018, 08:52 AM
Have a 'cross/gravel bike that really serves the purpose, but looking for a better set of brakes for it. Any recommendations on a good pair of cantis that are reasonably priced and would work well with Rival? And no comments about disc........I'm not ready yet for another four sets of new wheels :). Thanks guys

fa63
04-26-2018, 08:58 AM
I don't know which cantis work well with SRAM levers, but I know that mini-V brakes work very well if you don't mind giving up some mud clearance. TRP CX8.4 or Paul Mini-Motos are supposed to play well with SRAM levers.

oldpotatoe
04-26-2018, 08:59 AM
Have a 'cross/gravel bike that really serves the purpose, but looking for a better set of brakes for it. Any recommendations on a good pair of cantis that are reasonably priced and would work well with Rival? And no comments about disc........I'm not ready yet for another four sets of new wheels :). Thanks guys

TRP mini Vs

benb
04-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Yes the TRP CX9s also work really well with the Rival levers.

The CX9s have not been on TRPs website for a while IIRC but they are still available pretty easily. Not sure what's going on. Maybe they decided to consolidate on just one set and go with the 8.4s for everyone, but the 9s do give a hair more clearance for a fender.

Lewis Moon
04-26-2018, 09:07 AM
It's not so much a matter of which cantis, but how they are set up. If you start with a good set of modern cantis that have been developed for CX (Avid Shorty Ultimates, TRP Revox, etc) and pay attention to the length of the yoke cable, you should have a great set of brakes with almost all road levers.
You can run into issues of front end chatter and squealing, but actual stopping power should not be an issue.

Edit to add: I've had Cantis, mini Vs and discs. I prefer cantis, hands down.

Tony
04-26-2018, 09:08 AM
Yes the TRP CX9s also work really well with the Rival levers.

The CX9s have not been on TRPs website for a while IIRC but they are still available pretty easily. Not sure what's going on. Maybe they decided to consolidate on just one set and go with the 8.4s for everyone, but the 9s do give a hair more clearance for a fender.

I talked with them and they said the 8.4s actually work better with shimano so no need for the cx9s, no longer offered.

I have a set of Pauls Neo Retro's black, pm me if interested https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/neo-retro/

colker
04-26-2018, 09:10 AM
It's not so much a matter of which cantis, but how they are set up. If you start with a good set of modern cantis that have been developed for CX (Avid Shorty Ultimates, TRP Revox, etc) and pay attention to the length of the yoke cable, you should have a great set of brakes with almost all road levers.
You can run into issues of front end chatter and squealing, but actual stopping power should not be an issue.

Edit to add: I've had Cantis, mini Vs and discs. I prefer cantis, hands down.

This^

ptourkin
04-26-2018, 09:14 AM
I talked with them and they said the 8.4s actually work better with shimano so no need for the cx9s, no longer offered.

I have a set of Pauls Neo Retro's black, pm me if interested https://paulcomp.com/shop/components/neo-retro/

I've had Pauls set up with both Force and Rival and they were fine.

GParkes
04-26-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I have Tektros on now. I think with better pads the performance would improve, and may go that route first, then consider the recommendations. Appreciate the suggestions.

sonicCows
04-26-2018, 10:28 PM
Cantis (RevoX) are fine with my Rival levers, but if you have issues I suspect it may be due to the lack of internal spring mech in the SRAM levers

jtbadge
04-27-2018, 02:07 AM
I've used Paul MiniMoto and Touring Canti with Rival levers. They were great.

Only get the CX8.4 if you get TRP mini-vs. CX9s are garbage unless you use a v-brake lever.

zlin
04-27-2018, 07:18 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I have Tektros on now. I think with better pads the performance would improve, and may go that route first, then consider the recommendations. Appreciate the suggestions.

Yup! I put new pads on my trp 8.4s this week and they stop and feel great with Rival levers. Not canti but rim brake - Good ol rim brakes!

quickfeet
04-27-2018, 08:02 AM
Unless you are using tektro 720 then I would recommend a replacement. All other tektro Cantis are trash imho.

Personally I am a big fan of shorty ultimates or trp revox. Both have excellent stopping power. I’ve used Paul’s pretty extensively and even though my heart is a fan of them, I’ve never been able to get anywhere near the power and modulation of those other brakes out of them.

OldCrank
04-27-2018, 12:56 PM
+1 on the Shortys, I've been running them with Rivals for years.
No probs.
Easy to adjust the spring tension too.